View Diary: Must be the Quote of the Year (107 comments)

•  Julian Assange (22+ / 0-)

Eric Snowden
    Daniel Ellsberg

All indicted or threatened by U.S. DOJ. All showed tremendous bravery in standing up for basic human rights.

Perhaps you're unaware that your basic human rights can be revoked, secretly, at any time now and you can be subjected to

kidnapping
    indefinite detention
    torture
    imprisonment at a "black" site
    assassination by remote control

You wouldn't be the first. Look up "Maher Arar", an innocent Canadian civilian.

You don't seem to realize what sort of country the U.S. has become or how we're seen by the rest of the world.

I just read my second story of a U.S. service member committing suicide because his orders required him to commit war crimes. Yes, the UCMJ requires disobedience of an unlawful order but that rarely happens. Suicide is probably less painful than what Bradley Manning is going through.

Jesus. Turn off Good Morning (dumbass) American, wake up and pay attention. Total Information Awareness, Full Spectrum Dominance, black sites, indefinite detention, killing of civilians, wars of aggression, that is how the U.S. is seen now.

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that government is bad, that it can increase revenue by decreasing revenue, and unregulated capitalism can provide unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources.

by FrY10cK on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 05:45:31 AM PDT

•  Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong (2+ / 0-)
      hayden, duhban

here? (Sesemy Street)

Let's see.
      Ellsberg said this when turning himself in to face charges against him:

I felt that as an American citizen, as a responsible citizen, I could no longer cooperate in concealing this information from the American public. I did this clearly at my own jeopardy and I am prepared to answer to all the consequences of this decision.
      Assange fled Sweden and has imprisoned himself in Equador's UK embassy to avoid facing rape charges.

Snowden is going around the world to avoid facing charges of releasing classified info to unauthorized persons.

I wonder which of them doesn't seem to fit with the others?

•  In Ellsberg's day, the rule of law existed... (3+ / 0-)
        Shotput8, LLPete, vigilant meerkat

...in the U.S.

That ended with Bush v Gore and the subsequent lawlessness of the Bush and Obama Administrations.

Obama is the Chickenshit-in-Chief for failing to stand up to Republicans on all their phony scandals, from the "beer summit," to Van Jones, "death panels," Shirley Sherrod, contraception, Benghazi, and the IRS.

by expatjourno on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 10:08:28 AM PDT

•  so because Snowden ran (4+ / 0-)

that means he's dishonest? Or less than pure? Does it mean everything he revealed isn't true after all?

I dunno, if I had to pick between being a fugitive and a martyr, I think I'd go for fugitive. But I've never been in the position Snowden was in. What would you do? Do you know how you would react, with that kind of pressure on you? Are you sure?

Every day Snowden spends outside of a jail cell is a victory as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to the internet, bullshit now travels at the speed of light.

by nota bene on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 10:09:23 AM PDT

•  Yeah. Comment just above. In Elllsberg's day (0+ / 0-)

we didn't torture. At least not openly with John Yoo and Dick Cheney cheering us on. Do the right thing and run. That's how you get away from thugs.

by FrY10cK on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 11:01:45 AM PDT

•  lol yeah whatever (0+ / 0-)

I'll give you Ellsberg but the other 2 seem more interested in their fame and reknown then in actually doing the public good.

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Sun Jun 23, 2013 at 12:36:31 PM PDT

•  They also seem interested in avoiding (0+ / 0-)

detention without trial, indefinitely, possibly at a black site, possibly to include water boarding and other forms of torture.

Educate yourself. See what was down to Maher Arar who, by the way, turned out to be completely innocent.

Wake the eff up.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:18:51 AM PDT

•  could say the same thing to you (0+ / 0-)

not everything is a government conspiracy and frankly Snowden isn't doing himself any favors with his actions.

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 04:31:40 AM PDT

•  Look up Maher Arar. (0+ / 0-)

There are others like him but just start with that.

Educate yourself about the danger the U.S. gov't now poses to innocent people.

by FrY10cK on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 07:19:19 AM PDT