View Diary: A newbie take on NN13 (191 comments)

•  agreed (5+ / 0-)

the waste produced at the food truck party was really shocking. Then again, being from SF, I'm pretty much shocked any time I leave the city these days, but I do think that there could have been some forethought put into this, especially at a progressive event.

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 09:33:58 AM PDT

•  I'm from Berkeley - can't you tell? :) nt (4+ / 0-)

We all understand that freedom isn't free. What Romney and Ryan don't understand is that neither is opportunity. We have to invest in it.
      Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 09:43:39 AM PDT

•  ...I have to believe... (5+ / 0-)

...the trash gets split up into recyclable stuff from refuse...I just have to believe that. Same for the hotel as well...

Ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant. The rest of us must suffer the consequences.

by paradise50 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 09:47:26 AM PDT

•  well, I asked the NN organizers (8+ / 0-)

what was going to happen with all the trash, whether the conference people would separate it all afterwards, and they didn't really know. To be honest, I seriously doubt it. I know how time consuming it is to separate recyclables from trash, I've been to SF's recycling facility and those are high-paying jobs. I'm not sure about San Jose or the conference people, but I doubt this stuff is all going to get separated. But even if it does, I think especially at a progressive conference it would be good to involve attendees in the process. Tell people to bring their own mugs, for example. Put a recycling bin next to EVERY garbage bin, and a sign with what exactly goes in there. The few blue recycling bins they had didn't say what to put in there? Do they recycle just cans? paper? plastic? It just was completely unclear and nobody knew anything about what was happening. From my experience, that's a clear sign that everything is going to end up in the trash.

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 09:56:55 AM PDT

•  I hope you will make that an official written (4+ / 0-)
          side pocket, paradise50, citisven, pixxer

suggestion. You say it so well and have such a great background. I mean, you actually saw the recycling facility. How cool is that?

•  Maybe the swag bag should include (3+ / 0-)
          paradise50, citisven, madhaus

a NN mug :)

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 10:49:11 AM PDT

•  but not this year? (3+ / 0-)
              Lorikeet, pixxer, paradise50

and if not, how many people brought their bottles from past years? I hardly saw anyone with reusable bottles or mugs.

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 12:16:46 PM PDT

•  Brought my own. After writing the above, (4+ / 0-)
              Lorikeet, paradise50, citisven, old wobbly

I played with the idea of a somehow-indestructible but not plastic (?) NN mug, with a space on it for you to write your own username or your name, so you could use and reuse your mug through the conference and not get it mixed up with other people's. Add a Sharpie to the package. Orange!

Water bottles are a nice thing, but they don't serve the purpose of eliminating disposable cups and glasses that the hotel seems to serve. I was pretty shocked to see how environmentally unfriendly the hotels in San Jose were - I assumed the whole Bay Area was onto this thing already.

Anyway, something to puzzle about.

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 01:29:33 PM PDT

•  my klean kanteen (3+ / 0-)
                pixxer, Lorikeet, paradise50

has two different tops, so I can use it as either a coffee mug or water bottle. I just rinse it after using for coffee, and voila!

Check it out.

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:21:56 PM PDT

•  and I might add (3+ / 0-)
                  pixxer, Lorikeet, paradise50

I even used it for one of those overpriced beers at the evening events they were pouring out of bottles into plastic cups. :-)

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:23:32 PM PDT

•  Well done! The wine, I have to say, was not (3+ / 0-)
                    Lorikeet, citisven, paradise50

overpriced. Except for the meet&greet thingy, where they were using those horrid plastic pseudo-wine-glasses, they had these huge "globe" wine glasses - glass glasses, I mean - and put a good two standard servings of decent wine in there for $10. Now, I probably would have preferred to buy one and see if I wanted another, but I really didn't think the price was out of line on those.

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:30:41 PM PDT

•  Ah - I have a water bottle similar to that, (3+ / 0-)
                  citisven, Lorikeet, paradise50

but that is not the one I brought. My favorite to use is a recyclable plastic one I've had for years. The big deal is that the outer cap is permanently attached to the inner cap and doesn't require you to hold it; pops up rather than needing to be unscrewed; and also, when closed, entirely protects the drinking surface from dirt, so you can stuff the bottle into an airline seat or a backpack with no worries. Let's see.... image... very few bottles have this...

Aha! Seems to be called a "dust cap". Here's one example - it was hard to find!

My brother has assured me there is a stainless version somewhere - and I think it has a wide cap so a wide mouth like yours, for versatility. I'll get that when I finally lose my old, almost weightless recycle-level-1 "disposable" version.

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 03:53:03 PM PDT

•  oh cool (3+ / 0-)
                    pixxer, Lorikeet, paradise50

I like it. I think it would be great to put together a list of all these different alternatives to needing a new plastic cup for every drink that could be sent to the NN14 mailing list. I also liked the idea of having people write their name on their plastic cups so they can at least use them more than once. Somebody up or downthread was talking about that, about getting creative with your markings, too. :-)

Ecology is the new Economy

by citisven on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 04:56:02 PM PDT

•  I suggested making a NN mug part of the swag, (3+ / 0-)
                      Lorikeet, paradise50, citisven

with a special place for each person to put his or her name or username, and include a Sharpie in the bag.

I actually tried to keep my plastic wine glass from the meet & greet b/c... well... nothing else to do with it but landfill, where of course it will end up anyway. But glasses like that are too fragile. The mug would need to be something tough and not too heavy and also not plastic. A challenge.

I would really have liked an NN open thread diary each day for a week (I guess New Day served that purpose somewhat, but one with NN in the name to attract people specifically for that purpose) to pose questions and get hints.

My favorite hint for others would be: Expensive (Hilton), and even mid-level (Clarion), hotels have fridges in the rooms. Bring yogurt, granola, bananas, and a tough little bowl and spoon, and make your own breakfast. Cheap, no waiting eternally to eat, and very good for you. And delicious!

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 05:04:03 PM PDT

•  ...and where are klean kanteen's made?... (2+ / 0-)
                  Lorikeet, citisven

...Chico, CA. That was at first...like everything else those jobs got outsourced to China (nobody can compete with other companies that manufacture anything unless they themselves move their manufacturing gig to China :( ...

by paradise50 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 05:30:52 PM PDT

•  Yes - the little pictures on or above each bin (5+ / 0-)

make it easy for people to toss their leftover stuff correctly. When you have a group that is as highly motivated as ours, you would get terrific levels of compliance. There should be compost bins at every location where food is offered, in addition to trash - labeled LANDFILL for clarity - and recycling.

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 at 10:51:39 AM PDT

•  San Jose recycling (4+ / 0-)
          Lorikeet, paradise50, citisven, madhaus

Now, I dunno about sorting garbage from recycling.

However, we do not have to sort our recycling materials themselves, at our houses.

That is, we get one large blue container that holds newspapers, glass, cans, cardboard, plastic, etc.

Just dump everything in those containers and that is all sorted out at the recycling center when the trash is picked up weekly.

I am hopeful that, because that works at our houses, it also works at public events and small parks.

As far as the food party, there was one lonely blue can at the falafel truck. All the containers in the park itself were overflowing, so we picked up what we could carry and just walked across the street to a trash container that was begging to be filled.

•  Thanks for doing that, SU (5+ / 0-)

and as far as the mixed recyclables in the blue bin, I'm familiar with that system in SF, where they sort the blue bins that we toss paper, aluminum, glass, hard plastic, etc into. But the blue recycling bins were only in a few places at the conference, and the trash cans were overflowing with recyclables. So the question is, are they going to sort through the trash cans to pick out recyclables? And if so, why even bother putting up the few blue bins they had?

It's also good to note that plastic "recycling" is not really recycling, but downcycling. All those plastic cups that were everywhere at the conference, if they in fact bypass the landfill, will not be plastic cups again but be downcycled into things like lawn chairs which will end up in landfill at the end of their life cycle.

I know San Jose doesn't have a city composting program, so the compostable cups and plates wouldn't have worked. But I've been to a lot of conferences where they actually have real mugs that get washed, so I know it's doable if the organizers insist. Or if that's absolutely not possible and you have to go with plastic cups and containers, then at least make it a big part of conference prep to encourage as many attendees as possible to bring their own mugs and containers.

Ecology is the new Economy