View Diary: "Europa Report": A Beautiful, Semi-Realistic, Slightly Disappointing New Sci-fi Movie (65 comments)

•  Not having a frame of reference is not stupidity. (1+ / 0-)
    Troubadour

And adding a needed frame of reference to make a story work is not "coddling." I also don't want to watch movies set in the future where the characters only speak in a historically accurate language.

The Baptist Death Ray (wrightc [at] eviscerati [dot] org) "We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
    - Edward Young

by The Baptist Death Ray on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 08:51:43 AM PDT

•  They know there are no sounds in space. (0+ / 0-)

They just find the fact irksome and want things to conform to their expectations rather than reality.  That's stupidity.

BTW, I do want to watch movies set in the future (and the past) with historically accurate language.  I want to be transported to these other times and places, not have to constantly suspend disbelief.

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 09:04:27 AM PDT

•  Boy I really don't. (0+ / 0-)

So I guess you need to put me in your "stupid" column.

- Edward Young

by The Baptist Death Ray on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:23:43 AM PDT

•  You don't know that sound is air waves? (0+ / 0-)

Sign the petition to demand a law-abiding Supreme Court.

by Troubadour on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 10:25:19 AM PDT

•  I'll try again. (0+ / 0-)

I was referring to a different part of your post. "Boy, I really don't want to watch movies set in the future (and the past) with historically accurate language."

Sound waves aren't actually air waves, they just happen to be on Earth because that's our atmosphere. Technially they are just waves travelling through a medium. Assuming the medium is dense enough to carry the wave it doesn't have to be oxygen for sound to travel, it just needs to be able to vibrate the parts of the ear that need to be vibrated etc. None of that is really relevant, though -- while vacuum is actually not entirely devoid of a medium, it's devoid enough that for all practical purposes there's no sound in space.

- Edward Young

by The Baptist Death Ray on Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 12:07:54 PM PDT

•  Gah, please ignore me. (0+ / 0-)

I don't know why I'm being snippy today, and I don't know why I'm taking it out in a science fiction thread. Please accept my apologies.

- Edward Young