View Diary: Strike shuts down San Francisco's BART system (109 comments)

•  Well, yeah. (0+ / 0-)

I mean, I suppose that's what you'd generally call a lot...114 million rides. We had a billion like 10 years ago.

I've seen the system in Southern Cal. Certainly very nice looking, if not very useful if you want to actually go anywhere consistently. I wouldn't call it extensive. Nor would I call Dallas' DART system extensive by any measure. More of a joke really. Even LA's system is better.

•  I helped build the system here in Dallas (5+ / 0-)

and take pride in my contribution. The regional agency did not exist before 1983, and now has a 96-mile system in a service area of  700 sq mi. serving a population of about 2 million people.

Nearly nowhere else in the country has the density of NYC, so IT is the exception, not the norm. No, we're not New York, but few places are.  And we have not had the 100+ years head start you have.  Speaking of which, when WILL that 3rd Avenue tunnel ever get finished?  And the rolling stock on many of MTA's lines is deplorable. You just discovered air conditioning the last few years up there, apparently!

Glad you find my professional contribution "more of a joke, really" and hope you're amused. Some of us are trying to help build cities and a nation worthy of this century and beyond. In Dallas, Houston, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, San Diego, yes Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Salt Lake City, St. Louis, Minneapolis/ St. Paul, and elsewhere.  I have worked on 5 of those systems, and I'll say again am proud of my professional contributions over nearly 30 years in the business.  Folks depend on getting around, to and from their jobs, etc. all over the country. Those dependent on transit, and those who just want a choice, deserve the transit the voters and taxpayers are willing to pay for where they live.  I do my part to keep people moving.

As I said, I love ya, but please be a bit broader-minded. Yes, even if NYC is the navel, the country extends form Maine to Florida to California and Alaska and Hawai'i and lots in between. 320 million of us, or whatever this week's number is.

C'mon down and I'll show you around, buy you a good local brew (love your Brooklyn Lager). Maybe open your eyes and change your mind a bit.

I say again, peace.

I'm part of the "bedwetting bunch of website Democrat base people (DKos)." - Rush Limbaugh, 10/16/2012 Torture is Wrong! We live near W so you don't have to. Send love.

by tom 47 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 12:23:58 PM PDT

•  Dallas DART... (1+ / 0-)
      Monitor78

I live here in the north Dallas suburbs, where we have decent service from DART compared to other parts of the city, and it's useful but only for specific trips.  If you are trying to commute from the suburbs to downtown and back, monday through friday for your 9 to 5 job, then it's pretty nice.

If you have any other needs, it's mostly useless, due to there just not being enough routes and such.

And god save you if you need to go from one suburb to another for your job.  Just buy a car like the other zillion of us and carry on, in that case.

I will say that DART rail is a damn sight better today than it was 15 years ago or 20 years ago.  It is actually usable as your primary way to get to and from downtown Dallas, most times of day.  The last couple of times we went downtown to attend events or take visitors to the various touristy things in downtown Dallas, we took the light rail and it was a LOT easier and trouble free than driving and parking is.

"It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the GOP again." - The Democratic Party

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 12:43:30 PM PDT

•  Thanks, glad you like it. (4+ / 0-)

When I came to Dallas in 1979, the only transit service was the DTS bus inside the Dallas city limits, with two express routes to the Garland Park n Ride.  We have indeed come a long way. There are 13 DART member cities, but even with the FW "T" and Denton Co. Transit Auth., more people in N. TX live OUTside a transit agency area than IN. That's out of 6.2 M of us.

Note that every campus of the Dallas Comm. Coll. Dist., except North Lake, is served by DART rail. Parkland, UTSW Med. Ctr. and the other hospitals there, Dallas Presbyterian, Baylor Medical Center, the VA Hosp., and others can be reached by rail. No small achievement, especially for those that can not or can not afford to drive.

Live near the right rail station, and a multi-car household can get rid of one of its cars. For a two-earner household, only needing one car can make them have enough money to buy a house or condo, when they might not otherwise be able to do so.

Lots of community benefits.

And Rome wasn't built in a day.

by tom 47 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 03:04:46 PM PDT

•  population size skews things in NYC (5+ / 0-)

the bay area is a fraction of the size of new york, and bart is only part of the transit system, MUNI handles most of the traffic inside of SF, and caltrain handles the commuter traffic up the peninsula.

•  ...and, BART serves the East Bay (0+ / 0-)

All the way to San Jose, where there is the Santa Clara Valley VTA, with a 42- mile LRT system, and the Altamont Corridor Express commuter rail line, +/- 75 miles from San Jose up to Fremont and all the way to Stockton.

by tom 47 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 02:31:36 AM PDT

•  bart does not go to san jose yet n/t (0+ / 0-)
          •  Oakland to Fremont with two lines is not (0+ / 0-)

The East Bay?

And the VTA BART to Silicon Valley extension is under construction to extend the line from Fremont to Berryessa in San Jose.  Sixteen miles, scheduled to open in 2018.

by tom 47 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 08:57:07 AM PDT

•  Sorry, maybe a bit ahead of myself (1+ / 0-)
              wu ming

Just countering BBB a bit.  And again, we all can't be NYC!

by tom 47 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 08:58:25 AM PDT

•  it's the east bay, but not san jose (0+ / 0-)

when the link between fremont and SJ is closed, then it will go to SJ. it was a simple enough point.