View Diary: Police arrest a man for videotaping/playing music ... then they shoot his dog. (161 comments)

•  People are afraid of Rotts. I love the breed. the (17+ / 0-)

cops just had to let the guy control his dog, and nothing would have happened.

Of course, if they hadn't arrested the guy for no reason, the dog would not be dead.

•  Or if the guy hadn't left the dog unattended in a (2+ / 0-)
      zed, FischFry

car with the windows down in the midst of dozens of strangers...

Lots of ways for that to end badly.

I wonder if Kasich's two young daughters know what Daddy just did to them?

by here4tehbeer on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:15:15 AM PDT

•  I think he realized his mistake. (4+ / 0-)
        kharma, SuWho, mrkvica, aaraujo

But, only too late. His mind must have been racing the police want to arrest him, and were already accusing him of resisting arrest.

I wish he had rolled up the windows too but you can see how nervous he was when he was trying to secure his pet since I think he knew it would be bad if the cops thought the dog was a threat.

Watch that and it gives insight in to what happened.

You can hear the pain and regret in his voice when he says.

"I said 'no boy! no!'"

In ideal world he would have never been put in such a dumb situation. Who's fault is that?

•  Whos fault is that? His. (2+ / 0-)
          SoCalSal, here4tehbeer

Maybe blasting music and refusing to turn it down while the cops are investigating an armend robbery was a bad idea?

I notice lots of people were filming, none of them were bing arrested.

•  This was their reasoning: (3+ / 0-)
            Steven D, libdevil, pitbullgirl65
            Hawthorne police responded to an armed robbery on 137th Street, where a standoff ensued. Investigators said Rosby was interfering by blaring music from his car and walking within close proximity of armed officers
            In the video I can't hear any music and he was walking behind the police cars and quite a distance from the officers.

Had it been me they would have simply asked me to turn the music down. Of course I am white so I get the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

Most of the people taking a hard line against us are firmly convinced that they are the last defenders of civilization... The last stronghold of mother, God, home and apple pie and they're full of shit! David Crosby, Journey Thru the Past.

by Mike S on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:59:46 AM PDT

•  Im the last one to rush defense of cops (3+ / 0-)
              here4tehbeer, FischFry, Aquarius40

I've had my own problems with them and two have lied in court in cases Ive been involved in. So no automatic sympathy for them from me.

But, the muisc was very audible in the video when I watched it, and neighbors said he refused to turn it down when asked. And there were lots of other people visibly filming, none of whom the cops are bothering with.

As for the dog, it looked like a threat to me, sorry dog lovers.

•  Maybe you wouldn't have been belligerent? (0+ / 0-)

According to this article in the daily breeze:

"I do apologize if I didn't immediately comply. The music may have been a little loud but I was complying," Rosby said. "I said, 'Sir, I want to make sure nobody's civil rights were being violated.' "

A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said the officers asked him to turn the music down, but he refused. Rosby, she said, responded, "It's my (expletive) radio!"

He was complying? The video is 3:34 minutes long, showing Rosby walking to and fro across the street. The cops' request to turn off the music must have occurred before the video began.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children” ― Chief Seattle

by SoCalSal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 10:30:21 AM PDT

•  So your point is... (6+ / 0-)

he was being kind of jerk so he should be arrested for it?

It is not illegal to be a jerk.

Or to be passive agressive.

But I think it is transparent that the police were complaining about the music when what really bothered them was the filming.

Police should not be scared of cameras.

•  His mistake was to be oppositional (0+ / 0-)

Why didn't he raise the windows? Because he didn't want to lose the music, and maybe because that would have given in to the police request to turn down the music?

Sure, he shouldn't have been arrested, but it seems clear that the kids filming him were a little afraid for him from the beginning -- that he was acting in a way that they were sure would antagonize the officers.

Coming Soon -- to an Internet connection near you: Armisticeproject.org

by FischFry on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 11:54:54 AM PDT

•  There's always someone... (12+ / 0-)

to side with the authoritarians.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. Albert Einstein

by kharma on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:22:41 AM PDT

•  to do otherwise (2+ / 0-)
          kharma, pitbullgirl65

to question authority, makes life all of a sudden ..icky.. for many.

Its the same reason so many are tuning out all the NSA, and loss of rights, and illegal wars, to ask questions, to discover that you are being manipulated, lied too, etc is not pleasant.

Living in the lie is just easier for many.

•  Blame the victim much? (2+ / 0-)
        chase, Mario Sunshine

It's not like had a lot of time to think through his options while be abused by thugs with badges and guns.  And even if he had thought it through and made the wrong choice of how to secure his dog, it doesn't excuse the arrest, or the rapid escalation to violence by the police.

"And the President of the United States - would be seated right here. I would be here. And he would be here. I would turn - and there he’d be. I could pet ‘im." - Lewis Black

by libdevil on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 11:08:17 AM PDT

•  They didn't even have to do that (1+ / 0-)
      Fieldswithoutfences

Even after they arrested this guy for no cause, and struck him while he was handcuffed and cooperating, they chose to escalate the situation even further.  The first two 'public servants' had already cuffed and abused the human victim when the third came over.  He decided to escalate an already bad situation by inserting himself, then drawing his weapon in a non-life-threatening situation, and then lunging at the dog.  He didn't have to do any of those things, but it gave him an excuse to fire his weapon and kill something.

by libdevil on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 11:06:22 AM PDT

•  .... (2+ / 0-)
      Fieldswithoutfences, onionjim

The BEST behaved dogs I have ever know were two Rotties that a coworker would bring to work at times.  He could tell them to stay and go into another room and close the door and they would obey completely until he came back.  There was not an ounce of aggression in them, although I'm sure they would protect him if they thought he was in danger.

My dogs will do what I say when they know I am looking at them, but if I am in another room, they will sneak.