View Diary: This is why Wendy Davis will be the next Texas governor and maybe more (148 comments)

•  Sarcasm noted, (1+ / 0-)
      frankzappatista

but she would be more effective going head to head with Cornyn rather than Perry, who evidently remains quite popular.

You..ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones

by northsylvania on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 03:58:36 PM PDT

•  Wendy is very smart and (4+ / 0-)
        ivote2004, I love OCD, SoCalSal, Puddytat

much better looking than Perry. She should try to beat him, and Perry had better look out.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 04:41:09 PM PDT

•  Perry is STUPID, and racist, and a sell-out (3+ / 0-)
          JohnnySacks, timewarp, LSophia

Wendy can and should win. Those of us outside of TX should push her popularity and name-recognition and explain why Perry is a liability to TX in the long run.

Carbon di-oxide in the atmosphere is now 400ppm. That is "Climate Cluster Chaos" of the worst order if there ever was one. (hat tip to JeffW for CCC)

by Zinman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 10:46:15 PM PDT

•  Wendy is a higher quality leader than Perry, (6+ / 0-)

period. She is brighter, cares about a broader range of people in her state and has a plain spoken integrity seemingly as well as some self awareness. I can't speak of her executive skills but I don't know Perry's either.

It is just so hard to believe most Americans wouldn't see the stark contrast regardless of party. Yet I know many possibly won't.

She's just a really gifted person it seems and we are lucky to have her in politics. Texas is lucky, if only to see the contrast between her and their other government leaders. IF she doesn't win millions will see what is possible even still.  She raises the bar...and thus it is all good and the cup is half full.

Her existence makes me happy.

•  Most everyone hates Perry (7+ / 0-)

That's why he's trying so hard on this issue to win back some of the base.

•  According to the most recent polls he has won (0+ / 0-)

back his base. It was in a diary posted in the last few days.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:45:43 PM PDT

•  Isn't He An Embarassment? (3+ / 0-)
          mchestnutjr, timewarp, DannyX

Wow, if we didn't know what an utter idiot Rick Perry was before 2012, damn, that GOP primary sure brought that to our attention.

Seriously Texas... is this the best you can do?  Your choices for governor have been sort of indicative of a majority voter bloc composed of a combination of stupidity and greed.  Even though I don't intend that statement to be a sweeping generalization, it's eventually going to creep in that direction.

I'm not exactly the #1 fan of my governor (MA), but the guy's not embarrassingly stupid to the point where people are wondering what's up with the voters in my state.

•  I hate Perry but I love laughing at that pic of (0+ / 0-)

him in college looking like a character from the Animal House Nazi frat.

Fiscal conservative: a Republican ready to spend $5 to save a dime--especially if that dime is helping a non-donor.

by Mayfly on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 04:10:11 PM PDT

•  esp. because Perry isn't running for Gov again (0+ / 0-)

or so he says, but he's a liar so...

We kidnap. We torture. It's our policy. Embrace it or end it!

by Mosquito Pilot on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 05:36:24 PM PDT

•  Based on what? (4+ / 0-)

Perry is not popular.  He is a canny guy who managed to split the left vote last time when Kinky Friedman (remember that guy) had an independent run.

I'd like to see what polling you've seen that says he is popular in Texas in general.

Before you win, you have to fight. Come fight along with us at Texas Kaos.

by boadicea on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 08:24:18 PM PDT

•  boadicea - there was a diary on this topic (2+ / 0-)
          boadicea, Mayfly

posted this morning. You can find it here.

Perry's poll numbers have improved significantly.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:51:27 PM PDT

•  Thanks, that's what i was looking for. (1+ / 0-)
            VClib

I'll go check it out.

Before you win, you have to fight. Come fight along with us at Texas Kaos.

by boadicea on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 10:54:39 AM PDT

•  It says Perry has regained support from his base. (0+ / 0-)

What I can't figure out is what Perry did to lose some of his base in the first place.  Don't they know that Perry is always one of them?

In any case, if the Dems are going to elect a governor in Texas, it's not going to be by the Republican base staying home.  So I don't really care what a poll from right now says about things.

•  Running Wendy Davis for TX Governor is a (0+ / 0-)

pointless waste of time and rare talent.
          As much as we all despise Herr Perry, even Sen. Davis would have little chance of beating him if he runs again, or any of his clones if he doesn't (see poll below).

Democrats should consider that she would make a fine US Senator or better, much better, President.
          In the race for Senator from TX the odds are not much better.
          Both these positions are deadends that, win or lose,  would sideline her from advancing to where we need her. As a US Senator she could perhaps be an 100% Democratic voice, as Governor she would have to compromise so much with the Reptiles that we wouldn't recognize her.

Why not leapfrog all this and go for the long game: President?
          Wendy has a rare combination of talent, intelligence, ability, charisma, stamina, and practical political experience.
          We need a fresh face and outlook, a new and changed future course.
          We need somebody electrifying to reinvigorate the Democratic Party.
          Who better than TX Sen. Wendy Davis for President in 2016?

The only polling that counts:

Office of the Secretary of State

Race Summary Report
          2010 General Election
          11/2/2010

Governor

Rick Perry(I) REP    2,737,481 54.97%
           Bill White DEM        2,106,395 42.29%
           Kathie Glass LIB         109,211 2.19%
           Deb Shafto GRN           19,516 0.39%
           Andy Barron W-I            7,267 0.14%
             -----------
            Race Total 4,979,870

(several sentences shamelessly plagarized from my previous diary)

We’re Ready, Wendy’s Ready! WTF Are We Waiting For? Bring ‘em on! The revolution has begun! Come and take it!

by Bluefin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 at 09:58:56 PM PDT

•  Dems haven't won statewide (1+ / 0-)
            jplanner

in a while. I'd rather see her take a measured approach, like maybe run for AG since Abbott is likely to make a play for the governor's mansion.

"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding up both puppets!" -Bill Hicks

by Tismo70 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 03:37:18 AM PDT

•  executive experience is good (1+ / 0-)
            Mr MadAsHell

she could use some. National experience is also good. The argument the center and right have when they are down on Obama is that he didn't have executive experience. I have seen that in some ways but not the ways they think. He's been naive around controlling his message and playing the DC game which is necessary and strategic.

•  Except that for many reasons (0+ / 0-)

The real battles being fought in this country are in the states.  And that will continue to be the case until there is a major change in the house and the balance of the Supreme Court changes, which may be a long time.

•  I agree the states are crucial. But Texas is an (0+ / 0-)

impregnable Reptile kingdom that will not change for a very long time.
              I've stated before that all these Kossack hopes that Texas Hispanics will lead the way to a blue conversion are misguided. Many Texas Hispanics tend to be much more conservative than elsewhere, close to Florida's Cuban-Americans in outlook, or worse.
              Therefore I think running Davis for TX Governor is simply a Quixotic quest which will gain little. She is very talented, find a higher goal to expend her on.

by Bluefin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 07:24:26 PM PDT

•  plagarism is a serious charge... (0+ / 0-)

...when somebody else levels it against you. To freely and "shamelessly" admit it brings into question your motives. Did you think this disarmed the reader or do you think it was a snarky stab at self-deprecation? You can't plagarize your own work, so unless the original source isn't your own work, why would anyone make a drive-by confession like that? Many a serious word is spoken in jest. That's why when a woman asked you, "do you think this dress makes me look fat?", what she really is asking you is "how long do you want to live with me in relative peace?" You'd be better off changing the subject to how great her hair looks than to venture through that catch-22 minefield. That is, unless your best golf buddy just happens to also be a top-notch divorce lawyer.

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way." John Paul Jones

by ImpeachKingBushII on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 05:19:04 PM PDT

•  WTF? Yikes, what kind of cloud do you float around (0+ / 0-)

on?
              I live down here on the shitkickin' dirt, when I'm not getting shitkicked by Momma Nature sailing the Gulf.

I simply wanted to say a few points and decided I couldn't put it better than I had done a little while before in a separate, full diary (in which I expended quite a bit of effort for a non-academic).

So rather than reinvent some wording (could hardly better it anyway) I just copied it over (knowing that most would not bother to click and read the diary linked from the word "President" above).
              And thought stating so might short circuit any eagle-eyed pendantic critics. Wrong again.
              Yeah, I'm a literal, usually a 'say WTF you mean' type; part of the reason the 'ex' is ex, got tired of playing sillyass mind games. Don't golf, but a good sailing buddy was "a top-notch divorce lawyer", heheh.

Life's short, do it now...

by Bluefin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 07:17:07 PM PDT

•  relax big guy... (0+ / 0-)

...take a deep breath. Like they say here in Philly, PA where I live, when they're breaking your balls, "I was breaking your balls". Arms are made for hugs and for wearing long-sleeve shirts, not hearts. I guess some people don't appreciate my humor. I'll add you to that list.

by ImpeachKingBushII on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 08:34:18 PM PDT

•  a slight correction (1+ / 0-)
          northsylvania

the split vote with Kinky was the election before.  The disappointing run of Bill White was last election.

Before you win, you have to fight. Come fight along with us at Texas Kaos.

by boadicea on Wed Jul 03, 2013 at 10:57:47 AM PDT

•  Perry isn't popular (0+ / 0-)

Texans would rather just elect a guy they dislike over a democrat. Texas isn't ready to elect a democrat in 2014.

•  Perry has never been popular. (0+ / 0-)