View Diary: What Do You Think Of This Racial Comment? (77 comments)

•  Hold on (5+ / 0-)

I need to pick my eyes up off the floor, on account of they just rolled out of my head.

This site sometimes, I swear.

Yes folks, just by those two little words you are justified in labeling me the Prejudice White Male. Everything else I wrote was for naught. Woe is me, for I show no respect to the women I work with.

Banking on the American people to be able to sort all this out and declare the adult in the room the winner is a very big bet. -Digby

by Boogalord on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:35:03 AM PDT

•  I have heard the 'girl' thing as evil beforel (3+ / 0-)
      gramofsam1, rlb, Linda1961

The concept is regional.

I think you handled the situation well - the trainee realized she said something that was not acceptable in your society.  Well done.

...Son, those Elephants always look out for themselves. If you happen to get a crumb or two from their policies, it's a complete coincidence. -Malharden's Dad

by slowbutsure on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:50:38 AM PDT

•  Man Friday or Girl Firday used to be a (3+ / 0-)
        CroneWit, LilithGardener, crose

general purpose term used for someone with varied job duties. It comes from Robinson Crusoe. It was a 1950's term that was dropped in the '60s.

1. A female child.
        2. A daughter: our youngest girl.
        3. Often Offensive A woman, especially a young woman.
        4. Informal
        a. A woman socializing in a group of women: a night out with the girls.
        b. Used as a familiar form of address to express support of or camaraderie with a woman.
        5. Informal A female sweetheart: cadets escorting their girls to the ball.
        6. Offensive A female servant or employee.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:03:53 AM PDT

•  No, I am not this site. I am just me. And if (5+ / 0-)

you read my comments I am fascinated with the eye blink speed at which we start down that path.

No I was not saying you did go down the path. I was saying that you did what I did when I looked at the baby. (see my comment about the baby) It was an eye blink, it was a split second.

So at this point you should probably say WOAH, that was weird and update your diary. We all do it. It happens in a split second. It's not going down the path. It's on the edge. It's quick. It's unexpected. And in my experience, it was irrevocable. But then people are super sensitive about their first born. You can easily update your diary. You are only 24 and have a long life ahead of you. (joke)

And you can say about 'this site' --- the comments section is a wild and wolley place where misunderstandings take little effort.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:53:02 AM PDT

•  It's easier (0+ / 0-)

than actually doing the naval gazing WRT race that the diary actually sparks...

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:08:37 AM PDT

•  s/naval/navel/ (0+ / 0-)

stoopid autocorrect...

by awesumtenor on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:09:52 AM PDT

•  You are referring to my diary as "navel-gazing"? (3+ / 0-)

I wrote this diary because race in America is an important and ongoing discussion, and I feel that many white Americans are not comfortable participating in the discussion because of their discomfort with their own white privilege as it relates to the discussion, as well as their own racial prejudices, conscious or subconscious.

At worst, this results in the discussion about race devolving into a circle-jerk against white privilege, which appears to many white people as hostile to them, which drives them away from the discussion.

I am not denying white privilege, or institutionalized racism, or that many white people who do not consider themselves racist actually harbor racial prejudice. I am simply saying that if we as Americans are going to become comfortable talking to each other about race, white people need to be able to say something in the conversation other than "I'm sorry", or they will be too afraid to have it.

Point out attitudes that are racially prejudiced, yes. Demonize people as irredeemable racists, no.

Unless they are, in fact, irredeemable racists. Then fuck em.

by Boogalord on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:35:02 AM PDT

•  No; I am not referring to your diary (3+ / 0-)
          Dube, serendipityisabitch, m2old4bs

as "navel gazing".

I am referring to the all too common practice by some of the denizens of this forum to pick nits and create tangents when the subject pushes them out of their comfort zone and compels them to examine their own experience. Some would prefer to find a reason, no matter how small, to dismiss your diary and derail the conversation because their comfort is, in their estimation, more important than either...

by awesumtenor on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:04:20 PM PDT

•  Your new trainee (2+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener, Ahianne

--and you, yourself, as well as the young customer you described -- are on the front lines in the divide-and-conquer strategies of those who hold the only meaningful privilege left -- extreme wealth.

All three of you must work your way through life. But education is costly, decent jobs are scarce, and the idea of trade/craft apprenticeship has given way to union-busting and privilege-based unpaid internships.

You are led (by media and political grandstanding and seriously flawed identity politics) to distrust everyone, fear solidarity, and spend what resources you manage to capture on transitory consumables that fool you into thinking you're somehow on a track to success.

I'm glad that, at 24, you are thoughtful and literate enough to compose this diary.  Bridges don't build themselves, and as you've suggested, the plans we're using need some updates.

•  Just change (0+ / 0-)

one word. Just one little word. Your diary is about racial stereotyping and we your readers are pointing out some sexual stereotyping of which you were unaware. We have done just what you did to your trainee. Change the word.

•  ' Woe is me, for I show no respect to the women' (1+ / 0-)
      johnny wurster

Good first step.  You're catching on.

•  you're very defensive about your privilege. (0+ / 0-)
    •  You know (3+ / 0-)
      Spirit of Life, LilithGardener, crose

that was actually the very first thing that struck me while reading this diary: the fact that you called an adult woman a "girl." It seemed ironic in the context of your topic. I'm 56 years old, and was already considered inappropriate and derogatory way back in the 1980s when I entered the workforce (I remember a couple times new people getting chewed out by the assistant manager for using it), so it was pretty shocking to see you use this derogatory term for the woman you work with, especially given the point you're trying to make in your diary. So the other commenters are not blowing this out of proportion, but anyway, now you know.