View Diary: “Non-lethal,” Weaponized Drones Coming To A Town Near You. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (140 comments)

•  The more I read, the sicker (28+ / 0-)

to my stomach this makes me.  I just need to get this off my chest because I have been thinking a lot about all of this lately...so here goes.

What we are seeing is the systematic de-personalization of our society. Everything is becoming at arms length without face to face contact between the enforcers and those upon whom enforcement is being wreaked.  It takes the humanity out the contact between those working for the government and those being governed. War become a video game.

Policing is done from behind blackened shields and heavy body armor while the the defenseless who are being policed have only spoken with their voices in exercising their First Amendment rights.  But such an exercise is a threat to the powers that be.  "Non-lethal" weapons fired at point blank range become lethal or cause permanent injury to citizens for exercising those rights.

Traffic enforcement cameras to catch those who run red lights have become a mechanism to enrich private corporations while not enforcing the traffic violation upon the driver, but upon the car whose owner may or may not have been driving at the time of violation.  There are no extenuating circumstances once the human interaction between the police officer and the driver is removed.

Prisons are being outsourced to private corporations with the contract specifying that the state must guarantee a minimum (usually 90%) occupancy.  With minimum sentencing requirements, it removes the opportunity for rehabilitation and replaces it with ruining a person's life forever.

Right now I am just sick at how ugly American society has become.  We are a faceless, vengeful, punative oriented people.  We are losing what few vestiges of humanity we have left as a society.  It does not bode well for the future of our country or the American people.

"Growing up is for those who don't have the guts not to. Grow wise, grow loving, grow compassionate, but why grow up?" - Fiddlegirl

by gulfgal98 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 10:47:08 AM PDT

•  Don't forget that these markets have to (9+ / 0-)

grow or die, so it's only going to get worse.

Democracy - 1 person 1 vote. Free Markets - More dollars more power.

by k9disc on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:00:26 AM PDT

•  And you'd think after slavery and the attempted (11+ / 0-)

Native American genocide, the American people might have eventually reflected and made amends for the behavior of this country and it's citizens.  Unfortunately we're not even close.

"America is the Terror State. The Global War OF Terror is a diabolical instrument of Worldwide conquest."

by BigAlinWashSt on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 11:11:42 AM PDT

•  But we have NASCAR. (4+ / 0-)

Yeah, I'm sick to my stomach too.

I keep writing this but now I have to do it: More gardening, less reading Dkos.

Reaganomics noun pl: belief that government is bad, that it can increase revenue by decreasing revenue, and unregulated capitalism can provide unlimited goods for unlimited people on a planet with finite resources.

by FrY10cK on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 12:38:14 PM PDT

•  Just so you know (3+ / 0-)
        corvo, TheMomCat, here4tehbeer

I happen to like NASCAR, among other sporting events, and have attended a number of races over the years. Right now, the only thing keeping me sane is watching the Tour de France.  And yes, I garden too.  :)

by gulfgal98 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 03:38:05 PM PDT

•  I apologize for the disparagement. (2+ / 0-)
          corvo, lostinamerica

The skills exhibited in NASCAR are amazing.

But it encapsulates America's self indulgence. No attempt at fuel economy, no attempt at kinetic energy recovery systems. Parking lots full of Hummers and dually pickups that only go to the store and the race track.

No public transit. You either drive a Dodge Charger to the many acres wide parking lot or you get laughed at. Yeah, I guess I do disparage NASCAR.

I know IRL isn't NASCAR but I wish Danica Patrick or Simona de Silvestro would make the jump to F!. Yes F! is crazy expensive  but at least you walk the pedestrian bridge to the track or take public transport.

Also, an F! car pulls more G's in every direction than NASCAR. Forward, backward, and sideways, F1 pulls more G's.

by FrY10cK on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 04:15:47 PM PDT

•  We all need something (1+ / 0-)
            FrY10cK

to keep us from going crazy, even if it is not completely politically correct.  Oh well........  And BTW, I drive a 4 cylinder, stick shift PT Cruiser.  It is all good.

by gulfgal98 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 05:08:47 PM PDT

•  Pulls gs, But not downward (1+ / 0-)
            FrY10cK

' cause NASCAR races on banked tracks and turns left, so they don't care as much about lateral G. I'm a long time Sports car driver including Formula cars (on flat tracks). The tracks make the difference. And yes, I've driven at Pocono and Texas World Speedway, and it's weird driving on a 10-15 degree banked track if you're set up for the level infield....And NASCAR doesn't like to use brakes a lot or race in the rain, those poor guys....

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 05:27:01 PM PDT

•  I"ve driven some nice sports cars (0+ / 0-)

(that I didn't own) but yeah, driving on a banked oval must be a real different experience. It's the sliding off part that scares me.

F! has some really nice tracks now. No fatalities since Senna in 1994. Before that? Let's just say don't go looking for F! crashes on youtube unless you have a strong stomach.

by FrY10cK on Fri Jul 05, 2013 at 12:58:40 PM PDT

•  Sliding is not the problem (0+ / 0-)

if you're not sliding (drifiting) in corners you're not going fast enough. But on a given track (let's say TWS College station ) where the sports car course is (was) half infield, half banked, you can't possibly adjust the suspension the right way, so you cope with the other half. and when It rains (like the last time a I raced there) it's totally crazy. but you cope. At least everyone else in your class is probably in the same boat (boat=useful if it rains in south Texas).

I hated, but liked rain, because it caused most other drivers to slow down, whereas I could just accept being out of control on slicks most of the time (out of control means being able to make it thru each corner gracelessly somehow, but faster than the guy behind me... which wasn't always a guy...I've raced against, and taught some very talented women).

But yes, F1 crashes are awesome. I wish I had 1m$ for crash security as opposed to 1k for a roll cage and $450 for a fuel cell, but there you are... Marketing....

Without geometry, life is pointless. And blues harmonica players suck.

by blindcynic on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 10:42:21 PM PDT

•  Recced X 100 n/t (1+ / 0-)
      corvo