View Diary: Is There a Website for Liberal Activists Somewhere? (256 comments)

•  It sounds like Kos is creating what you're (9+ / 0-)

looking for, a specific activism section.  I'm with you on being fed up with the same folks creating the same outrage levels with numbing regularity.  I'd be fine if they at least suggested some action, but they actively belittle it instead.

I'm hoping the recent announcements will provide that liberal activism core, a place to discuss and plan, then take action.  I don't need to sign more petitions, I need people to work with to pressure Congress, the WH, the media without going detouring to cloud-cuckoo-land.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 12:38:16 PM PDT

•  What he's looking for in this particular case, (15+ / 0-)

as evidenced by more than 15 diaries in about a week, is a campaign to impeach 5 Supreme Court justices. It's not the lack of a specific "activism section" of the website that's impeding his progress.

•  Aaaaah. An agenda! (5+ / 0-)

Well who cares, if he thinks he can find enough like-minded people, go for it.  He can't win, but how great to get the word out to more people about our Corporate Supremes.  I'm betting not 10% of the country is aware that the Supreme Court is the last best hope of beleaguered corporate entities, nearly forced to pay for their deliberate harming of the rest of us.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 01:48:22 PM PDT

•  the rec list (5+ / 0-)

Is a boring one trick pony lately. :-(

We consume the carcasses of creatures of like appetites, passions and organs with our own, and fill the slaughterhouses daily with screams of pain and fear. Robert Louis Stevenson

by Christin on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 01:50:36 PM PDT

•  No shit. But It's Not About Snowden! (3+ / 0-)
        Christin, Troubadour, Lying eyes

Or something.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 02:15:22 PM PDT

•  Perhaps (3+ / 0-)
          snoopydawg, Victor Ward, corvo

If the effort by his detractors to make it about him from day one hadn't occurred with such relentless passion, the need to push back against the bullshit might not be "cluttering" up the rec list.

Not to mention, he's kinda in the news, considering the rabid behavior proudly on display by the government in trying to catch him.

How do you discuss the events surrounding this "manhunt" without talking about the target of the "manhunt" himself?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 03:06:23 PM PDT

•  I dunno, maybe you keep the (3+ / 0-)

focus on the Patriot Act and how to organize to repeal it.  Maybe you don't rec every diary that lionizes him.  Maybe you ask yourself why you weren't this outraged in 2007, or 2002, or when WaPo told you the same stuff a couple years back.  Maybe you hold back on praising this whistle-blower until some more facts come out, facts like he blogged about shooting "leakers" in the balls when they hurt Bush.  Maybe you ask who benefits in 2014 if the left is fractured by these not particularly new or stunning revelations.  Maybe you wonder if all this derision focused on a Democratic president and Democrats in Congress isn't eerily reminiscent of the lead-in to 2010 and Obama Sold Us Out, Kill the Bill, punish them by staying home?  Maybe you even wonder if some of your heroes might be less than truly Progressive.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 03:33:17 PM PDT

•  Great ideas, except (8+ / 0-)

I've heard them all before. So much so, in fact, I've been keeping a list of all the different excuses for everything:

GENERAL YAWN/MEH
                   - Why is everyone surprised?
                   - Where was this discussion 10 years ago?
                   - The government has assured us everything is on the level, and I trust them.
                   - You endorsed these policies when you voted for [Democrat]
                   - You're giving this data voluntarily with every click.
                   - Just use snail mail instead.
                   - They've already been doing this for a long time, now.
                   - Every other country does it, too.

GREENWALD
                   - is a liar.
                   - hates President Obama.
                   - is just some blogger.
                   - is gay.*
                   - I don't like him.
                   - I don't trust him.

EDWARD SNOWDEN
                   - is a traitor who just wants to make us look bad.
                   - is a fame whore.
                   - is just some hacker.
                   - is a high school drop-out.
                   - went to Hong Kong.
                   - is a spy for [whatever country he's currently in]
                   - voted for/donated to Ron Paul.
                   - There's discrepancies in Snowden's reported salary.
                   - His girlfriend was a pole dancer.

DAILY KOS META-RELATED
                   - Libertarians are infiltrating Daily Kos to divide Democrats.
                   - Real Democrats get behind the president no matter what.
                   - Somebody called me a name.
                   - These leaks will damage Democrats in the coming mid-term elections.
                   - Godwin.

NATIONAL SECURITY
                   - I'll give up YOUR rights to be protected from some nuke-weilding terrorists.
                   - 50 terrorist “events” were foiled, thanks to these policies.
                   - It's legal. It's all done in accordance with the law.
                   - No direct access to servers.
                   - It's just metadata.
                   - Relax, no one's listening to your phone calls.
                   - If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Got anything else?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 04:23:20 PM PDT

•  Yeah, you left out the big yawn, (2+ / 0-)
                Troubadour, onanthebarbarian

Keep the focus on repealing the Patriot Act.  With a side of maybe we need to educate our fellow Americans on the futility of keeping ourselves safe in a not safe world.

I mean REAL yawns that involve activism and energy and commitment, not the terribly important keyboard activism that feeds starving concern trolls.

By the way, it's time to update your talking points.  Seen em too often.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 04:37:40 PM PDT

•  What talking points should I be updating? (2+ / 0-)
                  Victor Ward, corvo

The ones I listed above that aren't mine?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:02:53 PM PDT

•  Yeah cuz they aren't mine either, (0+ / 0-)

so they don't have much impact on me.  I don't really care about Snowden or Greenwald, they're not the story.  I don't really understand why this week we're in a major snit when the same facts have been revealed 3 prior times, and I do most definitely suspect we have a couple of trolls who stir the pot because IT ALWAYS WORKS!  And that's deeply embarrassing for all of us.

Aside from that, I'm more concerned with whether or not I'll be wearing a Burkha after 2014, and wondering if I can organize a baby drop on the Texas Lege without getting dozens of women arrested for neglect.

There's also that little matter of the Patriot Act repeal, nothing I'll work on here.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:15:07 PM PDT

•  Except (2+ / 0-)
                      Victor Ward, corvo

Several points mentioned in the comment of yours to which I replied with that list are indeed on that list, in so many words.

No worries, I'm really not out to convince you of anything.

Have a pleasant Fourth of July.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:48:34 PM PDT

•  By clicking the little minus sign (5+ / 0-)

next to it, you can collapse the rec list so you don't even see it. I did this a couple of weeks ago, so am blissfully ignorant of the idiocy displayed in the Rec list.

•  She's not always been one of (0+ / 0-)

my favorites here but tonights Shiz diary is wonderful.  She's a very talented writer who brings relief to the rec list which lately has been going through a giant hissy fit.

"Anyone who thinks Obama is like Nixon is a moron. More than that, a F###ING moron". Kos, 5-24-13

by Lying eyes on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 09:14:29 PM PDT