View Diary: Is There a Website for Liberal Activists Somewhere? (256 comments)

•  Great ideas, except (8+ / 0-)

I've heard them all before. So much so, in fact, I've been keeping a list of all the different excuses for everything:

GENERAL YAWN/MEH
         - Why is everyone surprised?
         - Where was this discussion 10 years ago?
         - The government has assured us everything is on the level, and I trust them.
         - You endorsed these policies when you voted for [Democrat]
         - You're giving this data voluntarily with every click.
         - Just use snail mail instead.
         - They've already been doing this for a long time, now.
         - Every other country does it, too.

GREENWALD
         - is a liar.
         - hates President Obama.
         - is just some blogger.
         - is gay.*
         - I don't like him.
         - I don't trust him.

EDWARD SNOWDEN
         - is a traitor who just wants to make us look bad.
         - is a fame whore.
         - is just some hacker.
         - is a high school drop-out.
         - went to Hong Kong.
         - is a spy for [whatever country he's currently in]
         - voted for/donated to Ron Paul.
         - There's discrepancies in Snowden's reported salary.
         - His girlfriend was a pole dancer.

DAILY KOS META-RELATED
         - Libertarians are infiltrating Daily Kos to divide Democrats.
         - Real Democrats get behind the president no matter what.
         - Somebody called me a name.
         - These leaks will damage Democrats in the coming mid-term elections.
         - Godwin.

NATIONAL SECURITY
         - I'll give up YOUR rights to be protected from some nuke-weilding terrorists.
         - 50 terrorist “events” were foiled, thanks to these policies.
         - It's legal. It's all done in accordance with the law.
         - No direct access to servers.
         - It's just metadata.
         - Relax, no one's listening to your phone calls.
         - If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Got anything else?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 04:23:20 PM PDT

•  Yeah, you left out the big yawn, (2+ / 0-)
      Troubadour, onanthebarbarian

Keep the focus on repealing the Patriot Act.  With a side of maybe we need to educate our fellow Americans on the futility of keeping ourselves safe in a not safe world.

I mean REAL yawns that involve activism and energy and commitment, not the terribly important keyboard activism that feeds starving concern trolls.

By the way, it's time to update your talking points.  Seen em too often.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 04:37:40 PM PDT

•  What talking points should I be updating? (2+ / 0-)
        Victor Ward, corvo

The ones I listed above that aren't mine?

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:02:53 PM PDT

•  Yeah cuz they aren't mine either, (0+ / 0-)

so they don't have much impact on me.  I don't really care about Snowden or Greenwald, they're not the story.  I don't really understand why this week we're in a major snit when the same facts have been revealed 3 prior times, and I do most definitely suspect we have a couple of trolls who stir the pot because IT ALWAYS WORKS!  And that's deeply embarrassing for all of us.

Aside from that, I'm more concerned with whether or not I'll be wearing a Burkha after 2014, and wondering if I can organize a baby drop on the Texas Lege without getting dozens of women arrested for neglect.

There's also that little matter of the Patriot Act repeal, nothing I'll work on here.

by I love OCD on Thu Jul 04, 2013 at 06:15:07 PM PDT

•  Except (2+ / 0-)
            Victor Ward, corvo

Several points mentioned in the comment of yours to which I replied with that list are indeed on that list, in so many words.

No worries, I'm really not out to convince you of anything.

Have a pleasant Fourth of July.

~ Jerry Garcia