View Diary: Why Billionaires Love Global Warming (68 comments)

•  I heard Ralph Nader's strategy is to (4+ / 0-)
    LeftOfYou, YucatanMan, sc kitty, catfood

recruit the benevolent of the 1% to help us get out of this mess.

I think that's a pretty good idea.

Separation of Church and State AND Corporation

by Einsteinia on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 04:00:24 PM PDT

•  Maybe. (11+ / 0-)

Certainly, the philanthropy of certain elements of America's filthy rich, through the years, has endowed lasting achievements enhancing the arts and humanities.  Philanthropy is all well and good, as far as it goes.

I prefer to tax the rich, up to and including me. My favorite tax professor in law school had a favorite proposition of tax law that he repeated over and over, Chief Justice John Marshall's admonition that the power to tax is the power destroy. That is a message I would prefer to see conveyed to the richest among us as often as possible. Considering how most of the richest get most of what they have, they are lucky we let them keep any of it.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." John Kenneth Galbraith

by LeftOfYou on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 04:22:01 PM PDT

•  Well, when I heard this on RT t.v., which is now (2+ / 0-)
        JVolvo, lehman scott

my current favorite channel.  (As Noam Chomsky recommends in "Manufacturing Consent," get your info from another country if you want your info less filtered).

Today in light of these scandals:

--Obama is silent

--CNN has a 4-person one-sided debate on how getting info from one source is just CT and a virus contaminating the ground water of info, which the obvious insinuation that we should punish journalists who publish whistle blowers.

--MSNBC is covering the airplane crash at SFO yesterday as if this were worthy of minute-by-minute continuous coverage

But back to the topic:

I see billionaires like Warren Buffet, Soros, and Steve Wozciniak coming spearheading something for restoring the Constitution.  The reality is that having strong rules HELPS business.

Separation of Church and State AND Corporation

by Einsteinia on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 09:22:58 AM PDT

•  Ralph who™: n/t (6+ / 0-)

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 04:30:50 PM PDT

•  I never voted for Ralph, BUT (0+ / 0-)

at the rate of right/left corruption happening now I think we need a game changer.

If Obama is as evil as he now looks, (which I hope he is not), then no one is going to fall for supporting another democratic candidate if the system is this corrupted.

Separation of Church and State AND Corporation

by Einsteinia on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 09:24:39 AM PDT

•  Agreed. (0+ / 0-)

I never voted for Nader either. Nor did I vote for Stein last election. Although a Green, I've kept my support for Green candidates limited to local politics, and supported Democrats in higher state and national races.

This has been based on the now extremely questionable idea that the Democrats will actually do something to forward progressive causes, or at least put up a stiff resistance and not merely play the good cop to the Republicans' bad cop. Obama actually got my hopes up, subsequently broke my heart, and will likely be the last Democrat I support unless I see some kind of change from that party. If there isn't going to be any movement on the issues I care about anyway, far better to at least be in the company of honest people.

I hate to admit that (especially here), and I have no delusions that we'll suddenly start getting votes when we can't hold a candle to the kind of corporate funding mainstream candidates can rake in. In a perfect world, parties would be nested fractally like they are in Europe and there wouldn't be a need for rivalry among fellow progressives, but this is the system that serves the plutocrats, and their power is very well entrenched.

Maybe if Senator Warren keeps going the way she's going, I'd vote for her for president. I like her so far. Pity she's such a rare gem.

"Forecast for tomorrow? A few sprinkles of genius with a chance of doom!" -Stewie Griffin

by quillsinister on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 05:30:56 PM PDT

•  Are you referring to (3+ / 0-)
      No Exit, Einsteinia, Egalitare

his book, Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us? I haven't read it myself, but I saw it in a bookstore a few years back.

Assuming that's what his position is, I can't say I share his optimism, but in a world wherein the vast majority of the wealth (translation: ability to invest in things) has accrued to a tiny minority of the population, it isn't necessarily the most crackpot argument a person might make.

by quillsinister on Sat Jul 06, 2013 at 05:09:43 PM PDT

•  You gotta be kidding, right? (0+ / 0-)

Getting the 1% of the 1% (.01%, or 1 out of 10k people)? Good f-ing luck, Ralph.