View Diary: Fact Checking Josh Fox/Gasland #2; Oil/Gas Industry NOT Exempt from Clean Air/Clean Water Acts (133 comments)

•  I personally wish there was (3+ / 0-)
    Adam AZ, LakeSuperior, Ashaman

ample evidence that fracking is causing methane contamination in drinking water.

I am personally fighting against some aspects of the fracking.  At one point I needed every example I could find of fracking-related water pollution, That I could submit to FERC.

All I could find was Pavilion Wyoming.

And now recently the Duke study has been publicized.

So in all the thousands of square miles of heavily fracked lands, there are two partly documented examples of fracking causing/contributed to groundwater pollution.

You are certainly entitled to disagree with LakeSuperior on the methane issue.  I disagree with him on that.

But darn it, I have to acknowledge I have very little evidence of frack-caused groundwater pollution.

If you've got good evidence, please submit it to FERC who is preparing environmental reviews that include impacts from increased fracking.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:31:45 PM PDT

•  It would be hard to find since plaintiff sign (2+ / 0-)
      6412093, LakeSuperior

non-disclosure agreements w/companies. I don't think they would show up on legal searches.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. -Martin Luther

by the fan man on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:40:51 PM PDT

•  true, fan man, (1+ / 0-)
        LakeSuperior

but i'd also expect to find some environmental agency inspections, reports and fines.

Please let me know if you hear of any.

by 6412093 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:46:07 PM PDT

•  Would private agreements preclude govt (0+ / 0-)

fines or other action? It appears people affected reach out to govt (not often successfully) and pursue private litigation.

by the fan man on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 04:00:04 PM PDT

•  In theory, fan man (2+ / 0-)
            LakeSuperior, the fan man

agencies are obligated to prosecute environmental violations even if no one complains.

But if a complaining citrizen settles with a polluter and stops complaining, some agencies will let their investigation die on the vine.

But again, in theory, there would still be a case file and the initial documentation in the agency's possession for nosy people like me to find.

by 6412093 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:10:53 PM PDT

•  Can you elaborate on the FERC business (1+ / 0-)
      6412093

you mentioned?

•  FERC is preparing several NEPA documents (2+ / 0-)
        LakeSuperior, Adam AZ

on the score of massive LNG export terminals with pending applications.

FERC is doing their 3rd EA on various aspects of the Cheniere proposal, and is requiring EISes on most, but not all of the others.

The Sierra Club (and I) submitted scoping comments to FERC stating that increased LNG exports will cause increased gas production which will cause more fracking, so will FERC please look at the indirect and cumulative impacts from increased fracking, in the EIS.

by 6412093 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:16:21 PM PDT