View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (108 comments)

•  That was then (11+ / 0-)

when they were still working hard to convince people to fly at all, jet fuel was cheap, and they hired enough cleaning crews. (And people dressed up to travel, instead of wearing comfortable sweats and sneakers. And you got a full meal even on a pretty short flight; I remember getting a hot breakfast between Boston and Cleveland on my way to college.) Now everyone hops on a plane to take the kids to DisneyWorld, and the airlines have cut back on everything they can.

•  Yup.... (8+ / 0-)

I don't fly any more.
      I take the train.  Or a car.  Or a boat.
      Any time I travel, I include the travel time in my vacation plans.  I'm very lucky I'm able to do this, and I know it, and I realize it's not an option for many, many other people.
      But flying simply isn't a choice for me anymore.
      (And the damn thing is, I LOVE the feeling of flight!, but not how it is today)

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:49:31 AM PDT

•  I wish the place I lived had alternative (5+ / 0-)

forms of travel available.  But in Texas, if you want to go from one large city to another - and certainly anywhere outside the state - you can choose between driving four to eight hours or flying.  Train travel is so inconvenient and the schedules so unreliable as to be useless.  The last time I took the train from San Antonio to Oklahoma City - an 8-hour car ride or 2-1/2 plane ride - the trip took over 12 hours.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 06:56:09 AM PDT

•  I know.... (4+ / 0-)

I lived in Texas for a while and thankfully, most of my travel was either to Chicago (and points east) or to California.
          The trains ran but there were very long layovers in some cites (San Antonio), they were many times late, and sometimes they were delayed so long, we were bussed to the next large city.
          Even so, even with all that, I still preferred it to air travel.

by Lilyvt on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 07:35:42 AM PDT

•  Now isn't this ironic? (2+ / 0-)
            Lilyvt, Janet 707

I lived in Chicago years ago when the Santa Fe Chief was running.

I used to take the train from Chicago to Oklahoma City to see my parents, then on to Temple, TX to see my Austin friends (the train didn't run to Austin - pals had to drive to Temple to pick me up).

I made the trip a couple times a year.  What a treat!  Fabulously interesting people, a dining car (with terrific food), a club car (with terrific drinks and games) and an observation car (with a glass top and windows all around for a panoramic view).  I never had the money for a private compartment, but I don't think the trip could have been any better with private sleeping quarters.

by SueDe on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:53:05 PM PDT

•  Well.... (0+ / 0-)

I lived north of Austin, and it was a trek to go all the way into Austin when we could drive to Taylor, TX and catch the train.  Little whistle stop place, but it was fine.
              Going to CA, we caught the train in Taylor at night, traveled to San Antonio (not a very long trip) and had a long layover, waiting to hook up with the Sunset Limited to go to CA.
              The food was good, the company was interesting, the observation car was, well, an observation car (lots of desert!) with movies at night, and I did get a compartment....which was fabulous (you get to take a shower! And all the meals are included in the price of the room).
              I just find train travel, though it may take longer, to be so much more relaxing.

by Lilyvt on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 04:28:18 PM PDT

•  thing is by the time you factor in parking, all (6+ / 0-)

security bs, check-in time requirements, you might as well drive.  With a lot less hassle.  I can drive from Chicago to Detroit in the same time it takes to fly door-to-door.

If the plutocrats begin the program, we will end it. -- Eugene Debs.

by livjack on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 10:27:52 AM PDT

•  Old guy and the good old days? Not hardly. (0+ / 0-)

Did I make it sound like I stepped off the set of Mad Men? So sorry. But honestly, if commercial air travel hasn't recently become a more "interesting" experience sans cleaning crews, you could've fooled me.