View Diary: How Hollywood sold America Total Information Awareness (113 comments)

•  All the police TV shows glamorize not only... (42+ / 0-)

...police work but instant data collection.

They all feature a geek that can quickly get all sorts of information from anyone.

CSI computers photo csimiamimonitor3yj1_zps1fdb862c.jpg

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 10:01:48 AM PDT

•  At least with Buffy the Vampire Slayer (11+ / 0-)

Willow could use magic to search the internet for relevant information about demons!

I used to joke that the only thing Republicans and myself have in common was that we both liked the show 24. It was never really believable that Chloe could suddenly pull massive amounts of data and instantly find the intel Jack needed, but it made for a fun show.

She definitely falls into the category of NSA nerd with super human analytical powers.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” George Orwell

by Tool on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 10:11:45 AM PDT

•  yup it's a "type" (8+ / 0-)

I don't watch much TV but I confess to liking Criminal Minds and Garcia (Penelope) is the quirky nerd genius "type" on that show. They talk about it even, how they recruit these malcontent misfit hackers... anyway....it's all to catch The Bad Guys who are always these really gruesome psycho freaks so... yeah, hackers who rollover to work for The Man are glorified on TV.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 10:25:27 AM PDT

•  I had an instant dislike to Criminal Minds. (1+ / 0-)
          Tool

The characters in the first show I watched, and in others I've caught snippets of, were all capable of instantly analyzing the villains with incredible accuracy and certainty.  No doubt some is due to the short 42 minutes they get to play with on their hour long show - there's not much opportunity for wrong guesses or character development other than snippets over the season arcs.  However, I just got turned off on how they always instantly knew serial murderer motivations and plans.

That being said, the new series "Crossing Lines" with Donald Sutherland seems to me to be a Criminal Minds but playing out as investigators for the International Criminal Court.  I am able to accept this because while the characters are brilliant and able to come to quick, correct decisions, the main character has limitations (physical) and several are dealing with damaged pasts - lost loves, lost kids and so I believe the character development is much better and I've only watched three hours of the show.  I also love that it takes place in Europe, so I get that eye candy of the various cities, and I also love that it's the ICC - an agency that the US fears and won't accept for membership because Freedumb and American Exceptionalism.  Bush, Cheney and their cabal would be eligible for war crimes trials in the ICC if the US had ever agreed to be a signatory to it, though of course the US would never accept that it might have to surrender to a non-US entity, especially a President.

•  I couldn't watch 24. (26+ / 0-)

I liked the format, hated the torture.  It's the same reason that I had to stop watching another Fox show that I was really starting to enjoy, The Following. The first times the good guys tortured prisoners, I bailed on it for good.

What bothers me about the presentation of torture in these films is that it's shown as something that the good guys just gotta do, like taking out the trash or lancing a boil, once in a while, grimacing and hating it but, damn, a real man has to do these things.  And, of course, it's nice and gory and dramatic on screen, too.

This makes me remember Gene Autry and the Cowboy Code.

The Cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.

He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.

He must always tell the truth.

He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.

He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.

He must help people in distress.

He must be a good worker.

He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.

He must respect women, parents, and his nations laws.

The Cowboy is a patriot.

There used to be a time a film hero could represent something like that without being corny.
        •  You didn't see "Captain America", did you? (10+ / 0-)

1st time in FOREVER a hero stuck to the "rules" of being a hero, and didn't come off as corny or self righteous.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 11:00:25 AM PDT

•  No, didn't see it. (6+ / 0-)

I have to admit I hate superheros in polyester.  It's the one thing that made Smallville enjoyable to me.

I was very disappointed by Nolan's Batman.  I saw the implications of what he was doing right away, and posted that I thought it was a fascist fantasy.  And got HR'ed for it, too, by fans.

I think these flicks aren't propaganda aimed at changing us, but reflect how we've changed Hollywood.  It has to be or there wouldn't be so much of it, and it wouldn't be so quickly scooped up and raved about.

•  The modern (post unfreezing) Cap is the Icon of (3+ / 0-)
            detroitmechworks, Tool, Mad Season

what Twain, Steinbeck, and Vonnegut dreamed for America.

He's Jack London's answer to Nietzsche's Man and Superman.

He started out an empowerment fantasy/mary sue for everything a couple broke skinny Jewish kids from the Lower East Side who spent their teens in the worst depths of depression wanted America to aspire to being.

A hell of a lot of comic characters have had worse roots!

But since the end of the 60's, his relationship with our government has been far more complex.  He's repeatedly refused to go along with shit he considered to be wrong.  I mean, it's a defining feature of the character, not just something happens once in a while.

I hope to god one of the next two movies introduces Isaiah Bradley and the  Truth: Red, White & Black storyline.

Comic book movies can be what comic books are today instead of what they were 60 years ago.

Mr. Universe is a known degenerate Robotophile, and his sources include former Browncoat Traitors. What is their agenda in leaking top secret information about the Reavers and endangering us all?

by JesseCW on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 01:12:07 PM PDT

•  Matt Dillon of "Gunsmoke" was like that. (2+ / 0-)
          Dumbo, Tool
        •  Rustlers' Rhapsody (2+ / 0-)
          Dumbo, Tool

With Tom Berenger as The Singing Cowboy, G.W. Bailey as the sidekick, Andy Griffith as evil cattle baron, and Marilu Henner as the love interest (at the end they get past first base).

A tragically overlooked sendup of Autry and westerns in general.

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move. -- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by boriscleto on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 07:02:22 PM PDT

•  This is from the early 90's... (6+ / 0-)

..but it's somewhat dated, and yet, it demonstrates how prescient it actually was for the time. It's about the whole "Cop" image in Hollywood. Hell, even seeing the spate of new shows coming up for the new season, all I could think was, "Great, just what we need, another fucking TV show about cops."

Hakim Bey's "Boycott Cop Culture."

Regulated capital serves the people, unregulated capital serves itself.

by Alumbrados on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 11:36:45 AM PDT

•  Geeks aren't good-looking and suited, are they? (1+ / 0-)
      Shockwave

Mr. Wolfe was an interesting character, but Penelope Garcia ROOLZ.

•  You are right, to a point (1+ / 0-)
        Tool

CSI Miami

CSI Miami photo CSIMiami_zpse2327ae2.jpg

Person of Interest

Person of interest photo PersonofInterest_zpsc9884691.jpg

Daily Kos an oasis of truth. Truth that leads to action.

by Shockwave on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 01:21:35 PM PDT

•  Don't like either of those. Abby is supergeek; (2+ / 0-)
          Shockwave, ColoTim

she knows every test in the book, can identify any substance or make of object, etc. etc., simultaneously, as well as overpower and bind a much larger man who's attacking her. All while keeping up her incessant prattle. I also dislike Gibbs' blatant favoritism toward her. Heck, I dislike GIBBS!

•  CSI Miami should be NCIS nt (3+ / 0-)
          jabney, Shockwave, ColoTim
          •  Yes, as far as titles for those pictures go. (1+ / 0-)
            Tool

NCIS is fairly well done, imho.  I appreciate how she can be stumped and she'll keep digging until she gets an answer.

I really like Person of Interest, though the TIA subtext is exactly what the diarist is complaining about.  In this series, the computer has enough of a mind to know the good things and to counter, ever so slightly, the power mad ambitions of those who would use it to dominate the world.  Good things done on a case-by-case basis, and there's the usual wondering about whether someone is a victim or villain.

•  Especially the NCIS shows (3+ / 0-)
      Shockwave, Tool, ColoTim

Both have geeks that track bank accounts and cell phones w/o warrants.
      One NCIS LA had a group that stole a drone to use on LA.
      I kept thinking, why is it terrorism when drones kill US citizens, but not foreign citizens?

Gitmo is a Concentration Camp. Not a Detention Center. Torture happens at Concentration Camps. Torture happens at Gitmo. How much further will US values fall? Where is YOUR outrage at what the United States does in OUR names?

by snoopydawg on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:15:18 PM PDT

• Freddie Gray (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site