View Diary: "They Like Sticking It To The United States" (330 comments)

•  Menendez is just echoing the Administration's line (4+ / 0-)

Obama wants people to fear him and his executive branch, he 's become a laughing stock throughout the world as a result of these types of pronouncements, almost as bad as W. I have friends all over the world from my days in the international logistics business and I can tell you, with no reservation whatsoever, that Obama has become as hated as Bush in Sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, the Middle East  and especially in Egypt. Obama has the worst popularity of any American President in the history of Israel.  Obama was never particularly popular in South America, the last popular American President in South America was Jimmy Carter, but he's apparently making progress towards being as hated  in South America as he is in the Middle East.

Menendez is a horse's ass and has been all his political career, particularly obnoxious as he is Corzine's twin brother when it comes to Wall Street shenanigans.

"Intelligence is quickness in seeing things as they are..." George Santayana

by KJG52 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 02:49:55 PM PDT

•  At least Bush followed through (2+ / 0-)
      Don midwest, truong son traveler

with his threats and promises, as crazy and horrible as they usually were. He may have been an nasty little idiot shit, but he was an nasty little idiot shit who did what he said he'd do, who people took seriously. And if not him, they took Cheney, the real brains and brawn behind the presidency, seriously.

Obama, no one takes seriously, and no one fears, because he is a known entity by now as someone who doesn't mean what he says, doesn't stand behind his promises, avoids bruising fights, can be pushed around at will, and only stands up to people he sees as weaker than him. His supporters call this "transactional". The rest of the world calls it disingenuous and cowardly.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:06:27 PM PDT

•  Oh, absolutely. (2+ / 0-)
        freakofsociety, Fogiv

I love how Bush did what he said he'd do about Bin Laden.

Oh, wait.

What was your point again?

•  Yes, (3+ / 0-)
        freakofsociety, Woodrow Stool, Fogiv

therefore Obama is worse than George W. Bush, right?

If I disagree does that mean I love the NSA?

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. Barack Obama

by delphine on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:24:02 PM PDT

•  If you can't argue in good faith (2+ / 0-)
          LieparDestin, 4kedtongue

Don't argue at all.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:59:28 PM PDT

•  Kovie, with all due respect, you have not argued (2+ / 0-)
            freakofsociety, Fogiv

in good faith in quite some time.

In the time it took Adam Lanza to reload, eleven children escaped. What if...

by Sixty Something on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:11:08 PM PDT

•  You obviously (0+ / 0-)

have not been paying attention.

Almost invariably, in response to any question of Snowden, I and many others have been accused of not caring about NSA data gathering, of being an Obama-bot, blah blah ad infinitum, and I shouldn't even have to explain this, since it's so prevalent.

Almost invariably, if I'm not willing to totally trash Obama, again, I am an Obama-bot, ignorant, partisan, and oh, I don't care about NSA data gathering and/or I'm an Obama/NSA apologist.

Then there is the repeated refrain of how Nixon was "impeached for less" than Obama has done, which is patently false on its face.

So yeah, I am arguing in good faith.

Good faith based on the myriad ways I've been trashed here myself as some sort of ignorant apologist because I insist on seeing this in a nuanced way and thinking for myself.

by delphine on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 06:24:00 AM PDT

•  Oh irony (0+ / 0-)

You claim that people are claiming that Obama is worse than Bush and then complain about how people are lying about you. Talk about chutzpah.

Obama IS worse than Bush in certain ways, e.g. drones, targeted killings, NSA spying, etc., but he is not "worse" than Bush in total. Not being willing to acknowledge this subtlety is why you're not arguing in good faith.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 07:02:49 AM PDT

•  Ridiculous (0+ / 0-)

People HAVE said that Obama is worse than Bush AND that he is worse than Nixon.  In the past few days.

Plus I never said anyone was lying about me.  I did post that someone called me a liar, but I never posted that anyone was lying about me.

Wow, how is Obama worse than Bush when it comes to drones, targeted killings, and NSA spying?

Do you think that Obama invented these?  NSA spying started under Bush.

In a zillion diaries where no one is allowed to criticize Snowden in any way without being attacked for trying to destroy his credibility so I don't have to admit St. Obama is in error and/or because I want to remain ignorant of NSA data grab and/or because I SUPPORT the NSA data grab,

someone has the nerve to say that I am the one who can't acknowledge the subtlety.

Big irony.  Huge.

by delphine on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 11:02:00 AM PDT

•  He is worse on these issues (1+ / 0-)
                  4kedtongue

because he's intensified each of them. Do you view this as better? And people say lots of things about lots of people, some of it quite silly. Hell, there are people here who've called Obama the best president ever. But none of the people you're arguing with, including me, has ever said that Obama is on the whole worse than Bush. Even Greenwald the Evil Obama Hater has never said that. If you insist on arguing via impressions, I'm not interested.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 02:13:06 PM PDT

•  I'm glad you have someone (0+ / 0-)

to rec you up, even if everything you say is complete hooey and the height of irony.

No one's arguing via impressions.  You seem to have grabbed onto something that doesn't exist and are very glib about repeating it.

So happy for you!!

You're still wrong, though.

by delphine on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 07:22:28 PM PDT

•  You're a defender, I get it (0+ / 0-)

It's based on wishful thinking and I suppose ego, but I get it. But don't try to tell me how things are and are not. You're not very good at that end of things.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Mon Jul 08, 2013 at 07:44:44 PM PDT

•   most fatuous comment Pres Obama has ever made (4+ / 0-)

The most fatuous comment President Obama has ever made was this:

Rose: "Should this be transparent in some way?"
        Obama: "It is transparent, that’s why we set up the FISA court. The whole point of my concern before I was president -- because some people say well, Obama was this raving liberal before, now he’s Dick Cheney. Dick Cheney sometimes says, 'Yes, you know, he took it all, lock stock and barrel.' My concern has always been not that we shouldn’t do intelligence gathering to prevent terrorism but rather are we setting up a system of checks and balances?"
        Digby goes on to say:
        That the secret FISA Court is transparent was ridiculous on its face. That it has any "checks and balances" is ludicrous.  But with these revelations, those comments enter George W. Bush territory for sheer idiocy.
        Star Chamber 2013
        •  Glib, fatuous and even unctuous (1+ / 0-)
          4kedtongue

I don't think he will ever truly approach Bush's level of unself-conscious idiocy, but Obama has officially entered blowhard hosebag territory. It seems like he didn't even struggle that hard to not have that happen, like it's something he looked forward to and wears with delighted ease.

I will forever believe that he wanted to BE president more than he wanted to govern, which almost seems like an irritating annoyance to him.

It always cracks me up when the only response some people can come up with to that is to accuse me of being a hater. Non sequitors by definition.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 08:58:28 PM PDT

•  This: (1+ / 0-)
      Fogiv
      (May 10, 2013) a Pew Research Center survey released this week showed Obama "enjoys the confidence of 61% of Israelis." Among Israeli Jews, 64% rate Obama favorably vs. 48% of Arabs.

by delphine on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 03:23:29 PM PDT

•  Stretching the truth a bit, don't you think? (2+ / 0-)
      freakofsociety, Fogiv

In the time it took Adam Lanza to reload, eleven children escaped. What if...

by Sixty Something on Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 05:09:48 PM PDT