View Diary: Fracking does cause earthquakes (62 comments)

•  You have to be careful though (1+ / 0-)
    Horace Boothroyd III

First, a 3.4 is just not a big earthquake. You could have them all day and all night and have very little impact on life around you. Most of the time you wouldn't feel it. So, this is an interesting and not unexpected idea, but it's not yet Scary.

Second, "area had not recorded an earthquake over 3.0." That depends a lot on instrumentation... and how long has this area been instrumented?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's easy for people to get way ahead of the facts, especially people who don't regularly experience earthquakes.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 02:52:32 PM PDT

•  The Mother Jones link (3+ / 0-)
      cotterperson, Shockwave, WakeUpNeo

Has >5.0 earthquakes attributed to fracking activity.

•  Yup. I've lived my life on the west coast, (2+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III, WakeUpNeo

Mostly right along major fault lines. I'd tell you all the major earthquakes Ive lived through but you probably wouldn't want me in a restaurant next to you.

EQs under 4.0 are tiny by our standards.

But I figure that when USGS is sponsoring research, something has caught its attention and has it worried.

We had a 5.7 out here last month or so. I looked up, looked at the dogs, shrugged and went back to what I was doing. My husband slept right through it.

It's not the intensity. Its the freakish nature. If Florida has Class 4 hurricane, we shrug. When New York has one, we get nervous-- as well we should.

San Diego and Nevada have been in fire; it's hardly on the news.  Lets see what happens if we start having uncontrollable wildfires outside New York or DC metro.

The energy industry has pretending and silencing critics too darn long. I'm no longer willing to be as reasonable as I once was. They're destroying our whole planet.

© grover

by grover on Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 05:35:43 PM PDT

•  In the midwest and east (1+ / 0-)
        Horace Boothroyd III

earthquakes are low frequency but expected events.

There is a human tendency to try to blame them on "something" but they do just happen.

New Madrid is an expected event and it's expected to recur.

I am anti-fracking and there is I think reason for caution, both in terms of geology and in terms of aquifers, with the kind of indiscriminate injection of liquid and toxics that they're doing.

But one of my concerns is that the south and east think they're immune, and their building codes have reflected that. When New Madrid cuts loose a lot of people are going to die and it's not going to be because of fracking.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 10:22:11 PM PDT

•  Many of their building codes (0+ / 0-)

seem to imply they are immune to hurricanes and tornadoes too.

If they built to one -- braces, bolts, clips and straps -- they'd be far better equipped to handle the other.

© grover

by grover on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 12:57:38 AM PDT

•  So true (0+ / 0-)

I don't get why they don't add such a simple, inexpensive, and effective precaution.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 07:44:54 AM PDT

•  "Regulation is a job killer" (1+ / 0-)
              elfling