View Diary: An NSA-proof operating system. Yes, for real. (171 comments)

•  The NSA would like you to think that *any* use of (14+ / 0-)

encryption will cause their Sauron-like gaze to be cast upon it.

Which is just another way of saying "we really hope a bunch of people don't start using encryption because that will force us to use additional resources to sort through it".  All in the name of Freedom, I suppose.

The NSA's position that using encryption must mean you have something to hide is like assuming someone is involved in criminal activity because they put an extra deadbolt on their door, curtains on their windows, or a security camera on their front porch.

I'm sure there are also profiles for people like me who use actual cash money to buy stuff instead of a little plastic debit card. Because not leaving a paper trail of purchases means I obviously have something to hide, right?

"We don't analyze the behavioural traits of people who carry weapons. We're looking for terrorists," -- TSA spokesman.

by here4tehbeer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 04:32:42 AM PDT

•  Re (2+ / 0-)
      VeggiElaine, briefer

Not sure that the NSA has ever taken a "position" that encryption means you have "something to hide". Especially since they were instrumental in getting modern encryption methods through the standards approval process.

Also, breaking strong encryption is impossible, even for people like the NSA that have billions of dollars of computing power at their disposal. It's like trying to jump to Pluto on a pogo stick instead of using your feet. Sure you're jumping much higher, but it's still so many orders of magnitude smaller than what you need that it's pointless.

They have to break codes the old fashioned way: microphones, key loggers, social engineering. Because once the data is encrypted, forget it.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian
      Leadership doesn't mean taking a straw poll and then just throwing up your hands. -Jyrinx

by Sparhawk on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 06:34:43 AM PDT

•  The Dom concept seems derivitive (1+ / 0-)
        J M F

Of the Multics ring security system, which NSA was a part of developing.

I do not demand tolerance, I demand equal rights. --Anna Grodzka

by VeggiElaine on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 07:28:51 AM PDT

•  actually, they have taken a position (3+ / 0-)
        cybersaur, J M F, Brown Thrasher

One of the leaks (forgot which) revealed that the NSA systems do store any encrypted email, etc for later analysis. It's unstated, but likely that anyone regularly sending encrypted messages will be detected and flagged for increased scrutiny.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce - Karl Marx

by quill on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 08:58:00 AM PDT

•  I'm sure they store it (1+ / 0-)
          briefer

But for 128-AES+ encrypted communications, storing and not storing the info is pretty much the same thing, unless they can store it and then go find the password another way.

(-5.50,-6.67): Left Libertarian

by Sparhawk on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 10:00:51 AM PDT

•  Of course they haven't -- it's a secret :) (1+ / 0-)
        J M F

And sure, getting into a hardened safe can be an extremely time consuming affair as well -- unless you can get the combination. But first they have to know you have a safe.

Quite a few months back I spent a couple weekends playing with proxies and TOR and various P2P encryption deals just out of curiosity to see how it all worked and what penalties were imposed in terms of speed and usability.  Did that land me on a list somewhere?  Who knows.  But the older I get the less trusting I become... probably a function of being exposed to more and more reports of ingrained malfeasance (though hopefully I'm at least 150 years away from becoming a cloud-shouting, chemtrail-spraying Fox viewer).

If I look at these agencies in terms of what they:

• Can and can't do.
        • Should and shouldn't do.
        • Do and don't do.

I come to the realization that:

• I dont know.
        • They don't care.
        • [REDACTED].

I'm on the internet all the damn time, my phone probably makes a better guidance system than those Gulf War era bombs, and I'm sure my Google search profile looks like a case study in multiple personalities.  So be it.  But at least if I ever do find myself with a need to hide something I want to know what I'm up against.

Chance favors the prepared mind and all that :)

M*tch McConnell: Senate Nullification Leader.

by here4tehbeer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 08:58:41 AM PDT

•  I don't think encryption helps much (0+ / 0-)

since as I understand it the NSA is more interested in who you talk to than what you're saying. They're looking for patterns (a thing computers in general do extremely well) and if you're connecting to a server like joinalqaeda.org on a regular basis they're going to be interested in whatever else you're doing.

Steal a trillion, too big to fail. Steal a thousand, go to jail.

by Omir the Storyteller on Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 09:10:46 AM PDT