View Diary: So why didn't Zimmerman Fight Back? (133 comments)

•  He probably fought back. (10+ / 0-)

He lost. It's what losers do.

He's a tragic example of what happens when people walk around carrying loaded guns.

What should have ended with a bloody nose and a black eye ends up with somebody dead.

GOP: Bankers, billionaires, suckers, and dupes.

by gzodik on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 07:43:43 AM PDT

•  Slight clarification (6+ / 0-)
      He's a tragic example of what happens when people losers walk around carrying loaded guns.
    •  Well said. (10+ / 0-)

A simple and concise comment that describes what the real problem is.

It irks me that the media appears to go out of its way to not call Zimmerman a vigilante and instead use terms like Neighborhood Watch volunteer. No, the operative word in Neighborhood Watch is Watch. As far as I’m concerned, the moment Zimmerman chose to carry a pistol he crossed the line from watchman to vigilante and he is responsible for the violence that resulted.

I think carrying a gun emboldened Zimmerman to pursue and confront Martin. After all, the defense wants us to believe that Zimmerman is a marshmallow who couldn’t defend himself in a fight, right? A reasonable person without a gun would have stayed in the safety of their car, but having the gun enabled Zimmerman to think that if worse came to worst he could shoot someone.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

by Joe Bob on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 08:41:35 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I'm pithy. (0+ / 0-)

It'th jutht my thtyle. :-)

GOP: Bankers, billionaires, suckers, and dupes.

by gzodik on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 08:56:58 AM PDT

•  The "neighborhood watchman" label ... (9+ / 0-)

... bothers me, too. There are three rules for Neighborhood Watch:

1. You are not to patrol.

2. You are not to engage with a suspicious person.

3. You are not, under any circumstances, to be armed.

Zimmerman violated all three.

I vote we run Rick Scott out of Florida on a high-speed rail.

by ObamOcala on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:00:33 AM PDT

•  If they were not to patrol, why did ... (0+ / 0-)

GZ's group have special lights for their vehicles?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:56:09 AM PDT

•  Please cite your source about this. (1+ / 0-)
            poco

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

For that matter, I'd like to see your source for the info about Martin being a nailbiter.

•  As to the former, ... (0+ / 0-)

O'Mara commented about the vehicles having yellow lights during his closing argument today.  I was working on something else at the time and wasn't able to hear everything that he said about the subject, but I remember the reference.

As to the latter, see my response to your comment here.

by Neuroptimalian on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 12:25:29 PM PDT

•  Fair enough. (1+ / 0-)
                Neuroptimalian

I admit I didn't actually see the closing arguments today, so obviously I missed that.

And I now understand why you made the assertion you did about the nailbiting, it still ultimately seems like speculation to me, unless the ME specifically said both that he was a nailbiter, and that this made it hard to find DNA.

•  The problem is vigilante is a loaded word in (0+ / 0-)

some places.

Our loose gun policies have made it so common that people with little or know actual self defense training, or training the use of lethal force, will see someone in the driveway, go back in and get their gun and even though the car is backing out and leaving, they start shooting not recognizing that's not self defense.

Or they hear a noise outside, and take their gun with them when they go outside to check out what's making the noise. Without the gun, they might just turn on the light and yell some kind of warning. But with the gun the go outside and creep around in the dark and shoot at something, hitting a family member.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:19:27 AM PDT

•  Vigilante is nicer than armed slave patrol. (2+ / 0-)
          Vyan, LilithGardener

Trayvon did not have a pass to be in the neighborhood where he was shot and killed.

•  Agree (1+ / 0-)
            Grabber by the Heel

We have come to tolerate far too many extra-judicial killings, and have vigilantes openly bragging about their intent to be prepared to kill someone on the smallest potential provocation.

The extraordinary number of extra-judicial killings by police are, in my mind (even though they are LEOs) evidence that police are often operating as vigilantes too.

They do so with relative impunity. All of which leads me to believe that guns and beatings and even execution by lethal injection, have merely replaced public hanging and beatings as "fashionable" methods for justifiable homicide.

by LilithGardener on Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 06:42:21 PM PDT