View Diary: Terminally ill man and his husband fight to force Ohio to recognize their marriage, and judge agrees (81 comments)

•  Even if this ends up (1+ / 0-)
    Avilyn

being just Ohio -- to quote Mizz Maggie on the New York legislative victory: "That's a big 'get' for them."

•  The ruling may be tightly written (6+ / 0-)

to apply only to Ohio, but it opens up a path to overturn the constitutional bans everywhere.  Marriage recognition is one of those areas where interstate comity has always had a great deal of force, and in fact the whole conservative movement towards passing constitutional amendments after the Goodrich decision in MA was an effort to prevent exactly this kind of development.

A crack has opened in the dam, and it won't be long before the floodwaters come pouring through.  The conservative opposition to gay marriage is effectively dead.

Their only option now is to abandon the United States.  And given the pro-secession sentiment on the extreme right, I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of talk becomes more prevalent in the coming years.

When the union's inspiration /Through the workers' blood shall run /There can be no power greater /Anywhere beneath the sun /Solidarity Forever!

by litho on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 08:45:39 AM PDT

•  I could almost see (4+ / 0-)

a Pyrrhic victory for the bigots, where the courts say on Federalism grounds: "We won't force you to actually issue same sex licenses, but you have to recognize reciprocity from other states (Full Faith and Credit)."

•  And heads would explode all over NC (3+ / 0-)
          commonmass, jayden, SME in Seattle

and elsewhere, but here I'd get to see it firsthand.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 09:43:34 AM PDT

•  North Carolina, on the eve of the vote (0+ / 0-)

on equality:

The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Raleigh, NC.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 10:37:03 AM PDT

•  I work just a few blocks from there (1+ / 0-)
              commonmass

And I remember seeing the banners.  There was also a "corridor" of signs all the way down Wade Ave, and all over West Raleigh.  I actually had the "audacity of hope"... for a little while.  It was a crushing blow when I saw the final tally.  Not just that it passed, but the margin of difference.

It wasn't the last time I'll be disappointed, I'm sure.  But what was so soul-crushing was that that time we didn't have the legislature to blame for it (other than putting it on the ballot).  That was a referendum, decided by a statewide majority.  I have never been more disappointed by my fellowman than I was that day.

by mojo11 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 11:56:45 AM PDT

•  I accompanied my best friend, a NC native, (0+ / 0-)

to the polls that day. He's straight, but he's not narrow: he voted against the anti-equality amendment. Proudly. It was an honor to go to the polls with my friend and colleague that day in Raleigh.

North Carolina is a wonderful place. It's a shame the GOP is destroying it.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 05:38:43 PM PDT

•  I'm not gay OR married (1+ / 0-)
                  commonmass

and not inclined to change either of those things, but I was #3 in Wake County to cast a ballot in that election (and would have been #1 if I hadn't stopped to run my yap).  There's no justice for any if there's no justice for some.

by mojo11 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 06:25:21 PM PDT

•  Not a permanent solution (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

But a good one for a while, anyway.

Right now, what's the furthest someone can stand from a legal same-sex marriage jurisdiction?  Minnesota and Iowa shrink the midwest range, and Canada gives the whole northern border some flexibility.  Florida?