View Diary: Banning the Plastic Bag in San Francisco (107 comments)

•  Just out of curiousity.. (7+ / 0-)

do you all still buy and use plastic trash bags?

I've always used the supermarket bags for trash bags, and all our trash for a week fits in 6 or 8 of them, usually. All the organic stuff goes to the garden, and frankly, as an economically poor person, I just don't throw all that much away.

Paper bags aren't any better ecologically. Taking your own reuseable bags is the best.

This Rover crossed over.. Willie Nelson, written by Dorothy Fields

by Karl Rover on Fri Jul 26, 2013 at 08:17:42 PM PDT

•  I too use them (9+ / 0-)

for trash bags at home.  I live in Arkansas, so plastic bags are still everywhere.  We occasionally forget our reusables and end up being stocked up on free trash bags as a result.

The diary referenced a question of how much trash is actually prevented by these bans.  Having had many reusables break (don't put 3 gallons of any beverage in one, ok?) I share that concern.  However, I don't think these bans were ever as much about preventing x pounds or volume of trash as they were about controlling where it ends up.  Paper bags and reusables are heavy and don't blow around like kites.  Plastic bags often end up in fences, trees, creeks, and the ocean (even after making it to the landfill first!).

•  Also dog waste bags (4+ / 0-)
        jayden, Samer, flowerfarmer, koNko

We use them for dog crap too.  When we are feeling really energetic we cut one up into three pieces of plastic that can be used for that purpose.

•  'Pet' peeve (3+ / 0-)
          BYw, kimoconnor, koNko

I go walking in an area where little green dog poop bags are provided to clean up after your dog. The problem is idiots bagging the crap and then leaving the bags. Some leave the bags next to the sidewalk where some city maintenance worker might someday pick it up, but often the bag gets tossed in the brush.

Disclaimer: If the above comment can possibly be construed as snark, it probably is.

by grubber on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 06:15:20 AM PDT

•  Buy heavy duty canvas totes. (0+ / 0-)

Mine are from LL Bean, but I believe Lands End and other companies sell them as well.  They are expensive, but I've had mine for 30 years or more.  Never washed them.  Never even thought of washing them.  Clerks love them because they have rigid bottoms and stand up straight for packing, and they hold so much weight that you have to be careful not to pack them too densely.

•  And man do they travel! (0+ / 0-)

I remember seeing a Safeway bag miles from shore when taking the ferry to Victoria Island years ago. I was coming south from a little town in B.C. so it was pretty far north. Do they even have Safeway in Canada?

Reducing Oil Imports One Volt at a time.

by Volt3930 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 09:29:55 PM PDT

•  plastic grocery bags make lousy trash bags (5+ / 0-)

Yeah, that was my excuse, too.

They leak, they tear, easy.

•  No better ecologically? (3+ / 0-)
      koNko, TheDuckManCometh, dsb

I have yet to hear of a great Sargasso Sea of paper bags floating in the oceans, breaking down into smaller and smaller particles that last for - who knows how long.  Haven't heard of marine life dying because they ate paper bags, either.

I don't want to see trees turned into paper, but I think what's happening to the marine environment is worse.

I'm using the reusable bags - which are also plastic, but at least aren't likely to become a meal for a turtle.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 07:41:09 AM PDT

•  Yes you can still purchase them (2+ / 0-)
      kimoconnor, koNko

I suspect however that at some point it will become mandatory to use compostable bags for trash.

•  Compostable trash bags (1+ / 0-)
      koNko

We recycle everything. Out of three flats we rarely fill up one black bin. Though I have new neighbors who use plastic, they are the only one in the building who do.

Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace. - Dalai Lama

by kimoconnor on Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 07:57:17 AM PDT

•  Grocery store bags can be recycled, so I use (0+ / 0-)

non-recycleable bags such as from cereal boxes or frozen foods.  I haven't bought trash bags in I don't know how many decades.

My Karma just ran over your Dogma