View Diary: IAN:That's Entertainment (69 comments)

•  Cool diary, broths! Now I'm thinking of all the (7+ / 0-)

entertainment trivia I'm supposed to know.

Who was the first tv couple to sleep in a double bed?  The Flintstones?  Is that even true??

Since I love oldie tv, I'm endlessly entertained by this kind of thing.
    Thanks! :-)

My little jaunt to the doctor yesterday turned into a six hour epic the likes of which only Cecil B. de Mille would consider filming.

The medication I got was for migraines....and guess what isn't working?  I shall not bore you with further details.

Let's just say it's too pretty a weekend to fuss with stuff like that.  :-)

Hope all your plans and projects go off without a hitch, and all your furry companions behave themselves.

Have a good one, kids.

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 08:13:52 AM PDT

•  Morning Marti. (7+ / 0-)

I'm sorry the meds didn't work for you.  I sure hope they come up with something that will bring you relief.

I hope the headaches are minimal today so you can enjoy the day.

I am a work in progress. Still.

by broths on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 08:21:27 AM PDT

•  ((((broths)))) We're just stumped at this point. (7+ / 0-)

None of the standard things seem to be working. I'd like to be more cooperative, but can't figure out how.

So.  I'll just chillax today, see how it goes.  At least the weather is fine, and the noise levels are low.  Both very good things! :-)

by The Marti on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 08:37:28 AM PDT

•  A lot of the migraine meds out there (5+ / 0-)
          broths, The Marti, BadKitties, weck, Kit RMP

don't work unless you take them at the very beginning of the migraine. So keep it on hand and try it if/when that situation comes up. It may work a lot better at that point than it is now.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 09:48:55 AM PDT

•  At this point, we're just trying to get this one (6+ / 0-)

to stop.  Once we go over the MRI results on Wednesday, we can figure out how to keep the next one from starting.

It seems these are migraines, but that's an educated guess, not a firm diagnosis.

There has to be something that helps...we just have to find it.

In the mean time, I'm relying on the restorative powers of ice cream....and trying not to turn into a whinywuss.

Need more ice cream!  :-)

by The Marti on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 10:13:22 AM PDT

•  Marti, (5+ / 0-)
              The Marti, weck, FloridaSNMOM, broths, Kit RMP

I hope it's figured out soon. My father had terrible migraines; I sympathize with the light and noise problem, not to mention the pain. My friends and I would be asked to please play in someone else's yard so our piercing shrieks and laughs didn't add to his pain while he'd lie in a dark bedroom.

Meanwhile, I still have plenty of Häagen-Dazs in the freezer! Well, there's not quite as much chocklit as there was 2 days ago, but enough for a decent serving. Wish I could share it :)

Take care!

•  awwww!! thanks! chocklit is good...I just need (5+ / 0-)
                weck, carolanne, FloridaSNMOM, broths, Kit RMP

to either persuade my housemates to make an ice cream run...or find the intestinal fortitude to go, myself.

I'm thinking bribery might work.  :-)

The pooties are in cooperative mode...which is scary as heck!

;-)

by The Marti on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 11:36:50 AM PDT

•  Marti, call your doctor and read from the kosmail (7+ / 0-)

you sent me yesterday. THE UNCENSORED VERSION.

Like LuckyLiz, why should you be the only one who's suffering with an ailment that doctors/pharmaceutical companies are being paid Big Bucks to alleviate?

Squeaky wheel, girl! Don't wait for the headache to ease up before you jump ass.

Does dkos have some kind of a consumer-oriented group? If it doesn't, it should.

•  To be fair....the doctors really went the distance (7+ / 0-)

for me, trying to find something that would help...without putting me at risk because of my cardiac issues.  It wasn't her/their fault that the pharmacies didn't carry the first med.

Heyyy.  That uncensored epic of mine was puuuuure venting. Well, maybe "impure" venting.  Did I spell all the cuss words right??  ;-)

I have another appointment for Monday, already scheduled...just in case.

I'm just.......a bit down about it all.  But I promise to return to my rowdy smartass self in record time.

Now....who's got ice cream???

:-D

by The Marti on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 08:50:03 AM PDT

•  sorry to be coming in on this late, if I'd (5+ / 0-)

realized you all were talking migraines...

so, first things first. I've tracked back some but ... Marti, is this the first time you've come up with something migraine-like? or just a new twist in a long history?

If this is the beginning... well, my DH started getting his in late high school, head literally stuffed with cotton his Jr & Sr years, and then first year of college, bang, pain, and visual artefact so bad he literally couldn't see almost all the time! He had actual pain and migraines almost nonstop for months and months. says what I've read to him so far sounds like what he was going through then. including the Rx roulette trying to find something that would actually work for him.

What he finally figured out, FYI, because he hated the drugs so much (He was having extreme personality changes from one of the meds, a side effect that seemed to be unique to him; although his mother also experienced it years later when her doctor tried her on the same thing! yoiks, hope that doesn't presage HIM having the same issues she later developed!).

Anyway, He'd just been hearing about biofeedback in a college psych class and decided it couldn't hurt to try.  He figured out a way by himself, he doesn't remember how; it comes down now to visualizing the blood leaving his head(ache) and going out to his fingertips and feet instead. That's the way he describes it. And this works for him, with no meds.

He's learned to be very aware of what his signs of "migraine approaching" are, and will immediately go lie down in the dark and do his voodoo, sometimes with a cup of tea, which appears to be the right amount of caffeine for him... It would take him sometimes 5-6 hours to dissolve things, then he'd be "fragile" for up to 48 hours, but no actual migraine or pain. Caffeine dosage is an ART, different for different people. As indeed, migraines are different for different people!

They were coming about twice a year, but the sidetracking continued successful. They only "try" about once a year or so any more (we've been together 30 years). Yes, atmospheric pressure changes are dangerous, and he says having allergies is a related indicator for many people.

Good news, though, if weird: He says that since the Type 2 arrived, about 3-4 years ago, he has had only "fizzles" -- the visual and other sensory effects start, but then fall apart before he even gets to the lying down stage! In minutes or literally a second or two, they're just gone!

Hope any of this may be a help. PS the wacko RX was Gravergol, one of many caffeine/ergot preparations, but that one was a dilly. I said personality change? So extreme it got him fired when he tried it. He says, "I would have fired me for that behavior."

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 03:05:42 PM PDT

•  Before this epic mess, I'd only ever had ONE (1+ / 0-)
        Kit RMP

migraine in my life....thirty (very) odd years ago!  According to the doctor who treated me then, it was a "classic" ophthalmic migraine.  It lasted a day or so and that was that.

Learning from other people's experiences is always a help, so thank you for sharing yours.  :-)

These headaches came on about a month ago, and this one has been constant for about a week.  We can get it to slack off a bit, but it never goes away....except when I'm asleep.  I suspect it is still there, but being asleep, I just don't give a rat's clavicle!

There are no triggers I'm aware of, which makes it harder to get a handle on.  I don't have any allergies, either, so there's another culprit out.

I had an MRI done on Wednesday, and I go to the neurologist this coming Wednesday for the results and, hopefully, some answers.

The challenge has been trying to get a handle on the pain, while waiting for a firm diagnosis.  But I can tell you this much.....the loving support of my online framily (friends and family) has kept me semi-sane through this.

Ice cream doesn't hurt, either, now that I think of it.  And I always think of it!!

:-)

Once we get the pain stopped cold this time, you've given me a few really good ideas for keeping another from taking hold.  Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and ideas... I really appreciate it!

Marti