View Diary: RKBA: Open Thread (320 comments)

•  This one comes straight from Markos. (1+ / 0-)
    KVoimakas

DBAD -- Don't Be A Dick

Community Guidelines

The core of the Daily Kos behavior guide is simple: don't be a dick.
    Your behavior here goes against a couple of those rules -- insults and threadjacking, and a good argument could be made for spamming, since you're just posting the same empty nonsense over and over.

There, you've learned something new today.  Something you would have already known, however, if you bothered with site rules.  Clearly, there are those that don't.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 03:56:55 AM PDT

•  Goon! Excellent! First Pave and now Goon. (0+ / 0-)

Dont be a dick. Well, that is a matter of interpretation, now isnt it. When people here at RKBA do the "pig pile", host "bait" diaries full of nonsense proposals which on their face are non-starters, use Republican talking points and rhetorical techniques, do not remember their own line of argument for more than a month, bob and weave in positions of dubious logic, and then accuse others of being phallusus, the readers DO begin to wonder who is, or who are, being the aforementioned and referenced "dicks." If I get HR'd, that is fine, because, as my grandma used to say, a letter of Reprimand from Richard Nixon is actually a compliment for moral people.

I have no doubt that you believe what you believe sincerely, but your entire approach to this site, the process of debate and your treatment of those who disagree passionately is below the democratic traditions. I only SEEM dickish to such people, and that is a compliment.

Thank you for posting today. I welcome your comments.

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:39:26 AM PDT

•  You haven't been HR-ed. nt (2+ / 0-)
        theatre goon, ER Doc

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:47:13 AM PDT

•  I've not seen simple things like facts... (2+ / 0-)
          KVoimakas, ER Doc

...get in the way of this particular user's commentary in this thread.

Can't say I'm surprised by that.

Yes, I often dress as a pirate. Your point?

by theatre goon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:04:35 AM PDT

•  You missed something Goon... (0+ / 0-)

Ethos, Logos, Pathos.. the three forms of argument based on Aristotle's original Rhetoric. Still seems to apply. While I scatter facts through my posts, I am heavy on logos and ethos, while those are the higher level thinking and believing lacking in the RKBA arguments. You think you can pepper the posts with "facts" and that is all that matters. I think, and can show you how, that ethos (ethical arguments and logic) and logos (the relationship between facts, ethics and logic) are more important than simple facts out of context or pulled from thin air. Where you go to school makes a difference in your ability to think critically, and I was lucky to be raised in Oregon when we had schools and teachers second to none, and did well in them.  I understand fully the burden of argument and rhetoric, and feel a deep responsibility to it when I discuss here. I am not just making things up, off the top of my head, to be forgotten by myself or others.  I am not attacking personally until attacked personally, and I factor in a strong dose of Right and Wrong for all people, not just the Rights of gun owners, in my ethical arguments.

And beneath all that is a strong non-religious, non-superstitious Christian philosophy; do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Be passersby. Be humble in the world. Be generous to others even when it costs you money or pain. But do not give up the fight for justice on earth, and the elimination of the sword for the plowshare. I do not need as many facts as the people who support guns, because I have ethics and logic behind me. I use facts when needed, and when true, but you are taking a primary school approach to this discussion, and if you want to be taken seriously, start learning how to actually debate and discuss. A pirate costume doesn't exactly cut it. Those are visuals. Get into the deeper meanings of what you say. That is a challenge.

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 02:55:33 PM PDT

•  Disarming the common folk isn't ethical. (6+ / 0-)

Those who beat their swords to plowshares will plow for those who didn't.

This is hilarious, by the way.

Mitt Romney, is that you?

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 05:35:22 PM PDT

•  Your "facts" are all cherry picked from the NRA. (0+ / 0-)

You call them Facts, but they are the standard NRA boilerplate propaganda, and because you are not very analytical, you buy it. You buy it for selfish reasons, too. You want your toys. Your things. You are the example of the man who cannot change his mind because it is not possible to disinvest a lifetime worth of baloney digested from a propaganda machine. It would mean you are a gullible person unable to think for himself. Unacceptable. So you argue your position which in its end result kills thousands of innocents because we cannot regulate guns the way they must be. And will be. We will get over this, because the way we live now is not sustainable. People are already saying -- enough.

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 06:46:17 PM PDT

•  Apparently not enough people to actually (3+ / 0-)
                  theatre goon, ER Doc, gerrilea

pass some of the more onerous gun control laws.

If I never changed my mind (which is what I'm reading you as saying there) then my stance on UBCs didn't change, right?

Firearms are never toys by the way.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 06:30:12 AM PDT

•  Man-toys for you to be all dangerous and serious. (0+ / 0-)

Because you are afraid you are not.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 07:56:22 AM PDT

•  *snort* (1+ / 0-)
                      theatre goon

Perhaps you'd like to talk to any of the people who I'm friends with on DK to see if I consider myself dangerous and serious. Or hell, the people I met at NN11 when I was actually armed.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 09:42:48 AM PDT

•  You boast about being armed? (0+ / 0-)

That is interesting. And although I hate to say it, it kind of proves my point. You need the attention of seeming to be a dangerous man, so you not only arm yourself, you TELL everyone you are armed.

I dont even boast about being unarmed. I just let it be. Wish my gun-bearing friends could learn about humility and walking quietly in the world.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59:15 AM PDT

•  Actually no, I didn't tell anyone I was armed (0+ / 0-)

until some time later here on DK when someone brought up something where saying I was armed at NN11 was relevant.

In everyday life, there are very few people who know I'm armed. I'm semi-anonymous on here so I mention it with no problems. At work, only a bare handful know I carry. Including the CEO (figured that'd be a smart idea). My wife and family know along with some very close friends.

That's it. I'd much prefer people didn't know I was carrying, which is what I say when people as if I am.

Yes, I lie. Unless it's a LEO.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 12:12:23 PM PDT

•  That is to your credit then. (0+ / 0-)

Many gun owners I have known both here and in Alaska cannot WAIT to list every known fact and factiod about the gun(s) they are currently wearing, how they wear them, why they wear them, what they will do with them given a chance and where they will go to do it. WAAAAYYYYYYYY TOOO much Information. (WTMI) The discreet bulge in the chest area or the  groin area is really all it takes unless the aforesaid gun owner wants to be labeled a Putz.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 02:15:51 PM PDT

•  This is called Self-Awareness, by the way. (0+ / 0-)

Its a Progressive idea. We feel certain ways when we are growing up, and its possible to get stuck in a time period of feeling out of nostalgia, desire for certainty, or a feeling of power we thought we needed. Gun owners, and I am one of those who felt this way at 14, wrap themslves in these deep feelings and then construct elaborate rational arguments for why it is right and natural to do so. The NRA is paid to do this psychological work for you.

But when you become self-aware, you understand that a feeling is not a good enough reason to cling so tightly to an idea which is proving really harmful when spread out among the fearful population. Still, your "reasons" remain. The feeling comes first, the reasons, the rationalizations, second.

That is what ER Doctor does not even understand. He thinks his Reasons are all he needs. He does not get the fact that we all reason from emotion first, and that a self aware person admits this, and puts it into the rhetorical equation. Ethos, Logos, Pathos.. two of the three are feelings, not fact.

Time to start changing your feelings as you did on the issue of seat belts. You didnt like someone telling you what to do for your own good, but eventually you realized it was right. This is the same thing. You have the intelligence to become self aware and join the moral side, the side which will win this debate and the policy which will follow as soon as Scalia and Alito and Roberts are gone from the bench by way of humiliating retirement.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 08:05:07 AM PDT

•  Actually, I wore my seatbelt anyway. (1+ / 0-)
                      theatre goon

Disarming people, removing their ability for self defense and increasing restrictions on a civil right isn't the moral side. I have no idea where you get that.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 09:43:57 AM PDT

•  From Western Civilization and the Hard Lessons (0+ / 0-)

of forming civil democratic societies. From the hard and long slog out of tribalism, monarchy and individual warlordism. Do not make a holy object of any graven image. (Any technology created by man) Turn the other cheek if a man strikes you (Pacifism in the face of violence will change the violent most of the time) Do not imply violence by way of fearsome weapons (Life is the most sacred value) I could go on. There are literally hundreds of ethical arguments in Western Civilization which place concern for your fellow man above individual want or even need. To deny this is to deny our society's peaceful ascent. Guns were a fly in the ointment for slaveowners paranoid of losing control in 1790. We need to treat the Second Amendment as a sop.. a giveaway.. to the Slaveonwing States who could not be persuaded to join the Union without assurance that they could still hunt down slaves (blacks and browns) and indentured servants (whites)  I teach Western Civilization and Composition, and understand these ideas. Unfortunately the Conservatives in Legislatures hate these courses, so they are no longer required for ER Doctors or anyone else. We do not understand the principles which formed this great wealth and great freedom, and we will lose it unless we teach it again, and are believed.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 10:13:11 AM PDT

•  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... (5+ / 0-)
              I use facts when needed, and when true...
                 When they aren't true, they aren't "facts." Apparently that superior education missed that. It sounds like that superior education primarily taught you how to bullshit, with empathy.
                  And, FWIW, I'd put my education in rural Iowa up against Oregon any day.

-7.25, -6.26

We are men of action; lies do not become us.

by ER Doc on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 06:04:40 PM PDT

•  Dont you mean "Training?" (0+ / 0-)

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 06:40:18 PM PDT

•  You know, that is precisely the sort of arrogance (4+ / 0-)

that puts the lie to your previous claim of reason, logic, and empathy.

-7.25, -6.26

We are men of action; lies do not become us.

by ER Doc on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:34:02 PM PDT

•  We are not required to be empathetic to terror (0+ / 0-)

or those who argue for weapons of terror. It is the same principle Eisenhower used in fighting the dagger wielding, technology-obsessed and brutal anti-humanists of Europe mid-last century.

This is well grounded in Western Philosophy from the time of Aquinas, Erasmus and Locke, down through Jefferson and Franklin and Lincoln. Those who do not speak and act with empathy for the innocent and the less privileged do not deserve it for themselves.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 08:30:02 AM PDT

•  I use the word "training," by the way, to refer to (4+ / 0-)

my residency, which I did in Philadelphia. I use the word "education" to refer to the preceding 20 years, all in Iowa.

-7.25, -6.26

We are men of action; lies do not become us.

by ER Doc on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:38:44 PM PDT

•   This is called Self-Awareness (0+ / 0-)

That is what, you, ER Doctor do not understand. You think your Reasons are all you need. You do not get the basic human principle, a fact, that we all reason from emotion first, and that a self-aware person admits this, and puts it into the rhetorical equation. Ethos, Logos, Pathos.. two of the three are feelings, not fact. Aristotle put Ethics first, Logos second and Pathos third for a reason in his formulation of what is correct argumentation and correct thinking about human issues. He was, and is, largely correct on this I think, and so do many Progressive Humanists.

Time to start changing your feelings as you did on the issue of seat belts, food additives, soil conservation, regulation of ER doctors qualifications, etc etc etc. . You, and I,  didnt like someone telling you what to do for your own good, but eventually you, and I, realized it was right. This is mature self awareness. This is the same thing. You have the intelligence to become self aware and join the moral side, the side which will win this debate and the policy which will follow as soon as Scalia and Alito and Roberts are gone from the bench by way of humiliating retirement.

I have this quote line for a good reason, from one of the true geniuses of America: "Figures don't lie, but liars do figure"-Mark Twain

Facts are not enough, especially cherry picked facts from a self interested source, the NRA. Progressives know this in their bones, and people who are trained technocrats or drilled in the virtue of "proceedure" have real trouble with the concept. I appeal to the RKBA to take this into real consideration when examining where your beliefs come from, and their consequences for the innocent children exposed to an extreme threat of the gun in America.

by OregonOak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 08:26:38 AM PDT

•  This bears repeating (1+ / 0-)
        OregonOak

Thank you for posting today. I welcome your comments.

Some seem to have a real thin skin and obvious double standards, either that or there is a whole lot of faux outrage purely for some dramatic effect.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:31:52 AM PDT

•  Drama.. its in the Republican Blood.. LowTheater (1+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener

for the peons. Bread and Circuses. And now the peons do it to each other, thinking that its SOOO clever because their "betters" at every AM hate radio station in the country have shown them how.

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 01:47:41 PM PDT