View Diary: RKBA: Open Thread (320 comments)

•  You're full of it. (1+ / 0-)
    theatre goon

And I even posted one of my comments from back when in response to that.

Diary should be up this afternoon.

And I'm curious. Would you be happy to see licensing and registration for the other civil rights contained in the Constitution? The right to a jury trial? Make sure you register locally or you don't get one. Speech? Make sure you take this competency test before you open your mouth. Religion? Hey, you can't practice your religion until you show you're competent.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:24:49 AM PDT

•  You are starting to blither. Where to start.. (1+ / 0-)
      DefendOurConstitution

Guess I wont waste my time.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:32:57 AM PDT

•  Thanks. nt (1+ / 0-)
        theatre goon

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:34:20 AM PDT

•  No, really, thank YOU! (2+ / 0-)

For releasing me to my obligation to debate with a person who doesnt remember his own line of reasoning, his comments, then wont admit he changed position, possibly, until cornered, and uses the latest in Republican talking points and technique to tie up the site. I thank you, KV.

So, how is the latest Bait Diary working out for you, dude?Everything you expected it would be?

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:46:56 AM PDT

•  roflmao. (1+ / 0-)
            theatre goon

You had an obligation? I think you take the internet a tad too seriously.

I love the fact that you still haven't posted a link to this comment. I don't remember specifics about a lot of things. I think the NFA is unconstitutional but I'm pretty sure it won't ever get overturned. I also think that crew served weapons COULD be banned without infringing upon the second amendment since 2A doesn't cover non-small arms. I also think that if you're going to go through the NFA process, why shouldn't you have a crew served weapon? Federal registration, tax stamp, etc etc.

I know you haven't been popping into our diaries for a while, so you probably haven't caught how things have changed with regards to individual people. That's fine. Ignorance is fixable.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 07:51:44 AM PDT

•  Walk away, we are a fact based community and (1+ / 0-)
            LilithGardener

the facts just don't support the fear that any firearms regulation (sometimes even just a discussion of them) will result in confiscation or anything like that.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it … we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:21:53 AM PDT

•  Please cite case law or Court opinions (1+ / 0-)
      DefendOurConstitution

for your claims about unconstitutional restrictions on civil rights.

When did any court determine that someone could vote without being registered?

When did any court determine that people can vote in a district of their choice? On any day of their choice?

When did any court determine that a defendant could move the trial to any jurisdiction, according to his own free choice?

When did any court determine that a choir could exercise their religious edict to save souls by performing at 2AM on a quiet residential street.

When did any court determine that a parade permit fee is unconstitutional?

All civil rights have restrictions that balance the individual expression with the risk of harm/violation of the rights of others.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:18:32 AM PDT

•  Well said. nt (1+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener

by DefendOurConstitution on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:22:58 AM PDT

•  I'm curious, do you always go by (1+ / 0-)
        theatre goon

SCOTUS opinions or case law when it comes to the Constitutionality of a law or legislation?

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:26:04 AM PDT

•  I'm sure LG is consistent (1+ / 0-)
          theatre goon

and loves Citizens United and the decision putting Bush in office.

Or only supports it when it suits her.

I'm guessing option 2.

•  Only when I'm trying to guage whether (0+ / 0-)

dubious legal theories have any merit.

In Heller SCOTUS articulated relief explicitly. We don't have to wonder if registration and licensing and training requirements are constitutional.

Mr. Heller's relief was to register his gun and obtain a DC gun license, which includes a training requirement. Apparently the majority opinion in Heller thought those requirements were constitutional restrictions on the individual RKBA.

by LilithGardener on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:49:56 AM PDT

•  So, not all the time. Gotcha. I understand that. (1+ / 0-)
            theatre goon

That isn't meant flippantly either.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 08:55:54 AM PDT

•  New ideas are not necessarily without merit (0+ / 0-)

but I'm not entertained by dualing fantasies, even if the rhetorical games are entertaining in the short run.

I'm a strong supporter of the individual RKBA for the purpose of self defense and other lawful purposes, but neither I nor anyone else can even mention any regulations without being accused of not caring about the whole bill of rights.

I grew up with guns and now live in NYC unarmed. I know both sides of the rural/urban divide. The relative utility and the relative risk of harm varies a lot across our country and courts have been granting states and local jurisdictions wide latitude to solve local problems.

I want to see more discussion of actual law and less gospel preaching.

For example:

by LilithGardener on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 09:15:52 AM PDT

•  I'm open to new ideas; (0+ / 0-)

but I don't have to agree with everything SCOTUS decides to know that SCOTUS does get to decide where the boundary of constitutional/unconstitutional lies.

We can look to the courts for guidance about whether gun license fees are a poll tax. According to Kwong v Bloomberg they're not.

So until you cite case law articulating something different, I'll be basing my opinion on a court opinion rather than your unfounded gospel that license fees are obviously unconstitutional. Because civil rights.

by LilithGardener on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 09:37:52 AM PDT