View Diary: Gov. Paul LePage tells fellow Republicans: Obama 'hates white people' (142 comments)

•  They will, because Mike Michaud (10+ / 0-)

(Blue Dog D-ME 02) is running and will likely win. Do I think Mikey will be a good governor? Not really, but he'll be better than what we have. Cutler needs to be made Ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Michaud, like LePage, is a Franco-American (as are many in his district) and Michaud is center-right mostly. He's about the only Democrat I can think of that can win a statewide election for Governor or for the Senate.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 12:53:28 PM PDT

•  Cutler is still toying with the idea of running (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, JBL55

for governor again. I wonder, this time, if people will hold him responsible for LePage's win and turn their backs on him.

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit. - Greek proverb

by marleycat on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 01:08:50 PM PDT

•  Mikey Michaud has announced, and I believe (5+ / 0-)

Cutler has but I don't think Cutler is going to be as effective this time in splitting the Dem/Indie vote.

There's also an ethnic component to this: While Franco-Americans make up a large part of Maine (and a full fifth of Mainers speak French at home, largely in Lewiston/Auburn and in the northern and northwestern counties), Paul LePage was the first Franco-American governor of Maine since its promotion from a colony of Massachusetts to a State in the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Many Franco-Americans are embarrassed, and Michaud is popular in his district (which is half the state, we only have two) and I think many people who might vote Republican if someone other than LePage were running might just vote for Mikey simply on a point of honor.

I resent that. I demand snark, and overly so -- Markos Moulitsas.

by commonmass on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 01:13:21 PM PDT

•  oh, yes, count me in: (2+ / 0-)
          JBL55, commonmass
          Many Franco-Americans are embarrassed
          deep french-canadian roots on both sides of the family tree. even further, both of my parents' families were from waterville (i and my older brother were born there), where this bloviating gastropod had previously served as mayor.

it's an embarrassment i feel all the way over here on the pacific.

"i hear you're mad about brubeck ... i like your eyes. i like him too." -donald fagen

by homo neurotic on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 02:02:23 PM PDT

•  Excellent background. I grew up in Maine and am (1+ / 0-)
          commonmass

well aware of the French "connection". My parents and brother, who still live in Maine and are what would be called New England Republicans, can't stand LePage. They have a pretty high opinion of Michaud (although they live in Chellie Pingree's district and love her, too). My sister, on the other hand, has gotten mixed up with some Tea Party survivalists and has done a 180 degree turn in her political beliefs. She'll probably vote for LePage.

by marleycat on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 04:43:26 PM PDT

•  Not entirely accurate (0+ / 0-)

That stat about a fifth of Mainers speaking French at home only applies to the northern chunk of the state. Census stats cited by Wikipedia says that in the state overall it's 5 percent.

That's still substantial, and a quarter of Mainers claim French or French Canadian descent -- including the Mainer half of my family. But it's not like you roll into a bar in Lewiston and hear people speaking French.

•  Cutler is in n/t (2+ / 0-)
        commonmass, JBL55

Form follows function -- Louis Sullivan

by Spud1 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 01:24:47 PM PDT

•  Cutler's more of a Democrat than a Blue Dog (0+ / 0-)

could ever be. He helped write the Clean Water and Clean Air acts while an aide to Sen. Edmund Muskie.

Frankly, given a choice between a Blue Dog and Cutler, I can understand why a lot of Mainers would consider voting for Cutler again in 2014...after all, he did come within 2% of willing last time around.

"Violence never requires translation, but it often causes deafness." - Bareesh the Hutt.

by Australian2 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 10:34:08 PM PDT