View Diary: What If You Pulled Back the Curtain and Found a Real Wizard? (181 comments)

•  Chests of meta are concerning to me also... (15+ / 0-)

Just as an example:

Say I were to obtain a job where a comprehensive background check were to be performed.  If they dug into the chest 15 years back, they might find that I frequented sites that dealt with Marijuana growing, or saw my emails that I had had an affair, or delved into my driving history and saw I stopped at Muggs Pub every day after work?
    (by-the-way these are just hypothetical examples and my real habits are probably worse ;) )

I don't feel comfortable with what can happen to this information in the future.

•  But the government (6+ / 0-)

would not have access to see that data unless you became a target based on the quaisi serach warrant procedures.   The government could not access the data for a routine employment consideration.

Right now, your internet provider has that data.  A company would not.  The internet providers have incentives to keep such data confidential.

I think you might prefer that all metadata and other data be destroyed by the inteent company within a certtain time after used for billing purposes.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 10:49:29 AM PDT

•  Yes... (10+ / 0-)

My internet provider has that information.
        Additionally:
        -Facebook has personal and contact information.
        -Google knows where I browse and what information I search for.
        -My phone provider knows where I go and talk to and when.
        -My credit card company knows what I purchase and where. -Yahoo knows who I email and all my bill providers.

All of these things just in themselves is a lot of privacy I give up a little at a time.

-But put it all together (like the NSA can do) and you have my life, for however many years.  Very scary and very powerful to me.

•  But they could access the information if you (8+ / 0-)

became a journalist, for example, or a Democratic member of Congress, or even a candidate.  Seizure is as unconstitutional as search.  Secure in our persons means secure, not potentially secure depending on future events.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of scoundrels, but religion is assuredly the first.

by StrayCat on Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 03:19:59 PM PDT

•  The issue for me is future changes (3+ / 0-)
        kharma, Tortmaster, 84thProblem

Just because thus is the United States does not mean we can't have a coup, or an authoritarian turn in which the government simply doesn't care about the law, or a Constitutional Convention that guts the protections of the 4th Amendment.

That data is there, and it seems they plan to keep it forever. When it comes time to "round up the usual suspects" in the event of changed or removed safeguards, the data is there.

Time to go after the GLBTQ community and its supporters? The data is there to find almost all of them.

Time to go after gun enthusiasts (which I personally am not, by the way)? The data is there.

What could be a crime (or political target) in the future -- this data would make it easy to find enough of your targets to interrogate and find the rest.

It may be something you did years before, but the NSA, in a sense, searched your house every day for years without you knowing and kept what they found.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?"--Eleanor Roosevelt

by KJC MD on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 03:30:14 AM PDT

•  Part of the balancing of ... (0+ / 0-)

... privacy protections that the Court considered in this case, KJC MD, was "retention." The US Person Information that contains content is immediately destroyed unless it involves an American directly contacting a surveillance target or the threat of immediate death.

The metadata they seem to be able to keep longer, but it involves the anonymous telephone numbers, when the calls were made, to whom, duration of calls.

Rand Paul is to civil liberties as the Disney Channel is to subtle and nuanced acting.

by Tortmaster on Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 09:48:50 AM PDT

•  You can discover a lot through metadata (0+ / 0-)

Especially when you combine it with a reverse look-up directory.

by KJC MD on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 04:24:25 AM PDT

•  You're HIRED! (3+ / 0-)
      Tortmaster, caul, kharma