View Diary: Sen. Tom Coburn muses that Obama is 'perilously close' to impeachment (179 comments)

•  The GOP is bankrupt (9+ / 0-)

of ideas and morals, they just keep hitting the same notes over and over again and hope that the song becomes a hit this time!

And Senator Coburn is the President's friend? Don't make me laugh...

Excellent piece Hunter!

Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace. ~ Ulysses S Grant

by vcmvo2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:13:57 AM PDT

•  Bankrupt of ideas and morals is par for the (1+ / 0-)
      vcmvo2

American political course in the 21st century. The thing that really sets them apart right now is how incredibly stupid they are being.  I know they're not stupid people because stupid people don't get that far, but they sure are proving my observation that the smartest people do the dumbest things.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:33:14 AM PDT

•  Yep! And they seem to be proud (4+ / 0-)
        eps62, dinotrac, Chitown Kev, Matt Z

of their stupidest notions. Why yes the 40th vote to repeal Obamacare will work this time! :::eye roll:::

by vcmvo2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 11:12:42 AM PDT

•  I am baffled by their cowardice. (2+ / 0-)
          vcmvo2, VPofKarma

It's not hard to explain that Democrats control the Senate.

It's not hard to understand that the only base that could actually care about such things is not going to vote for the Democrats.

It's not hard to understand that Republicans have same problem Democrats do, only worse: There aren't enough Republicans (or Democrats) to win an election. You have to win some independent voters to your side.

Easiest of all is the math:

Voters who will not vote Democratic cost you at most 1 vote -- the vote you might (but might not) lose.

Winnable voters who might vote Democratic cost you as many as 2 votes: The vote you lost + the vote the Democrats win.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 11:56:49 AM PDT

•  Cowardice borne out of expediency (0+ / 0-)

and corruption. They don't want to take responsibility for anything they do.

by vcmvo2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 01:26:26 PM PDT

•  That's the baffling part: it's not expedient. (2+ / 0-)
              AmazingBlaise, VPofKarma

It's self defeating.

You need look no further than Mitt Romney.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 02:18:59 PM PDT

•  Yeah there is always Mitt (2+ / 0-)
                dinotrac, VPofKarma

Of all the Republicans I have watched in my life, I don't get him at all. Terrible politician, it all looks painful to him and contrived.

He has no political talent and yet he puts himself out there as if he wants to be there, then denies he wants to be there.

It was painful just watching him lie. I think he plans to run again.

by vcmvo2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 04:08:57 PM PDT

•  Well actually (0+ / 0-)

the President used his "friendship" with wacko Coburn frequently in the 2008 campaign to demonstrate his bipartisan bona fides, so it cuts both ways.  Some of my best friends are right wing morons, as it were.

Given my views on this administration's sellouts on so many things, and the NSA stuff in particular, I can't summon too much outrage against blustery impeachment talk. Yeah so what.

•  Coburn's announcement is the next GOP "hot issue" (1+ / 0-)
      VPofKarma

People we should have had enough experience with these Tea Party Republicans to recognize their Modus Operandi.
      Each "big issue" is put out to the MSM by some notable person in the Republican Party. Subsequently the "big issue" is picked up and expanded generally in the House of Representatives. The House will put a lot of energy into it simply because they have nothing else to do, as they have no interest in governing. They will do this in spite of the obvious fact that they know that anything they do will go nowhere in the Senate.

Thus I expect that the calls for the impeachment of Obama will grow louder from the Republicans in the coming days. The Republicans will attempt to be more crafty on this impeachment issue. They may try to use Syria if in the future Obama initiates some limited military action in Syria as an outgrowth of the Gas attacks. In such a scenario they would craft articles of impeachment on the basis that Obama had exceeded his powers by starting another WAR without Congressional approval. If such situation were to arise it would be a tough one for the Democrats in the Senate, especially for many of the anti-war Democrats who have long opposed the Bush war years.

So before we laugh and deride Coburn and his ilk for being silly clowns we must be careful that we do not underestimate the tactics of the enemy and thereby fail to adequately prepare for their attack.....