View Diary: Animal Nuz #163 (119 comments)

•  Stunning that I remember (20+ / 0-)

that amazing March.  I'm thrilled they have a perfect day.  I was 13!  Which makes me 32.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 09:23:47 AM PDT

•  Wow, were you there? (13+ / 0-)

I was 15, and my folks would never have let me go. However, the LH, who was 18, did get to go.

by sidnora on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 10:03:36 AM PDT

•  I wish I had been there (10+ / 0-)

I was in Baltimore and the news was actually covering it -- shockingly enough.

by gchaucer2 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 10:08:13 AM PDT

•  I was one day short of 15, and was there with my (6+ / 0-)

father and 2 brothers. We met my uncle (a rabbi in New York) there also.
        I skipped high school orientation in order to go. Never regretted the choice I made!
        As for today's march, we just came home from vacation and therefore were completely unaware of what was going on. I didn't see any lead up to this before we left (Aug 1) so it was a surprise. Sorry to have missed it.
        I'm looking into going on Wednesday -- one of the sponsors of the Wednesday march is the terrific organization I worked for for almost 20 years.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 05:39:19 PM PDT

•  Had my parents been activists, (3+ / 0-)
          ericlewis0, gchaucer2, Tamar

As it sounds like yours were, perhaps they would have brought me. But they weren't. Interestingly, the LH comes from an extremely progressive and activist family, but he was the only one of them who went.

BTW, I hope you had a nice vacation.

by sidnora on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 09:59:50 PM PDT

•  Thank you! Very nice vacation -- England & (3+ / 0-)
            sidnora, ericlewis0, RiveroftheWest

Scotland. We loved Scotland! Friendliest people I've met anywhere (and that's saying a lot). Gorgeous views, lots of sheep (I'm a weaver and spinner). And I learned more about the Highland Clearings which forced so many small tenant farmers off their lands. Very sad stuff and made me feel guilty about my appreciation of the sheep (landowners replaced the farms with sheep because it was more profitable).
            We chose to go to Scotland instead of Ireland because of Ireland's despicable treatment of Savita Halappanavar. I know they have since made slight improvements to the abortion laws which have resulted in this:
            But even with the change made there, the laws are still draconian.

by Tamar on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 11:26:28 AM PDT

•  We loved Scotland, too! (2+ / 0-)
              ericlewis0, RiveroftheWest

We traveled as far north as you could get without getting on a boat - to Cape Wrath. That scenery was like nothing I've ever seen, anywhere else in the world.

However, we loved Ireland, too, and I urge you to visit that beautiful country despite your valid objections to their government. First of all, if you think the Scots were friendly, you won't believe what the Irish are like. We've been traveling together for 45 years, and they are the friendliest people we've ever met, hands down. Second, they are also smart, witty, irreverent, and view their government's actions with a thoroughly jaundiced eye. I don't blame the whole of the Irish people for their government any more than I blame all of us for the Bush Administration. Third, the food's better than in Scotland.

BTW, I say this as someone who wouldn't travel to Greece or Spain for many decades, but those were dictatorships.

by sidnora on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 05:12:51 PM PDT

•  We went to Isle of Skye and a day trip (3+ / 0-)
                sidnora, RiveroftheWest, ericlewis0

to Harris & Lewis.
                The scenery of the highlands and the Hebrides is spectacular. But the lack of trees is disconcerting. I understand that the mountains were denuded by one of the kings for his ships -- and I think also for fuel for the population (when there was a population). But they haven't been replanted very much -- maybe because they're used for grazing the huge number of sheep?

by Tamar on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 07:46:18 PM PDT

•  We didn't see (3+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest, ericlewis0, Tamar

enormous numbers of sheep in the far north, though there were some. What we mostly saw was that treeless green carpet, rolling on and on over the hills, punctuated only by small lakes and ponds.

Even though I understand that it's not a natural landscape, it still haunted me.

I think the reason they haven't replanted is that there's basically no one up there, either to do it or to care if it's done. The nearest town to Cape Wrath, Durness, consisted of about a half-dozen buildings on either side of the only road, one hotel, where we didn't stay, and one extremely basic B&B, where we did stay. Population according to Wikipedia about 400, but it felt like half that.

We never got to the islands. I understand they are amazing, too. I would also have loved to go to the Orkneys to see Skara Brae, but there comes a point in every trip where you have to turn around, and on that trip it was Cape Wrath.

by sidnora on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 08:14:22 PM PDT

•  Ha (10+ / 0-)

I remember watching it, too.  We had media that actually covered things like that in those days (my, how things have changed).

Thanks for making me 32 again.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 11:16:52 AM PDT

•  You haz gud math skillz. Praise Common Core. (8+ / 0-)

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 02:23:01 PM PDT