View Diary: Allow This Brit to Remind Some of You What Matters to Americans (205 comments)

•  What matters to Americans (1+ / 0-)
    twigg

Is what they are told to care about on the idiot box.  For example, job killing regulations.  That's top priority.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:06:26 PM PDT

•  This is just not true .. with respect. (20+ / 0-)

That is the GOP doing it's own version of "navel gazing".

They think that Americans care about "Job Killing Regulations", but that is a completely negative approach.

Americans are not worried about regulations, they are worried about jobs.

Show them your plan to create jobs, and they will get it.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:09:27 PM PDT

•  I guess we're so busy (3+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, twigg, YucatanMan

Sending jobs off over seas that we really don't have or want a plan to create jobs.  We just get to hear endlessly on how earth destroying industries are killing jobs.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:12:27 PM PDT

•  p.s. (8+ / 0-)

Huge public investment into renewable energy would provide jobs, slow down the pollution, and position us much better for the future.

People should be worried about it.  But they keep getting fed bull to put it out of their minds.

I don't think this is GOP naval gazing.  The GOP propaganda machine has taken the innate worry about jobs and turned it on its head.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 10:17:27 PM PDT

•  I think the many new "Free Trade" treaties (2+ / 0-)
        greenbell, cslewis

the administration has been working on is counter to an American Jobs program.  In other words, I think their economic and employment policies are working counter to the need of the working class of America to have decent jobs.

Given that, I'm not sure what course to take. Because the President and the administration thinks that secret trade negotiations and more "free trade" will help the USA, when it will only hurt the American people.  All the American people, that is, beneath the fantastically wealthy already.  They'll benefit, as usual.

I agree good jobs programs would be a windfall in the voting booth for Democrats.  However, we'll have to find some nominative "Democrats" who will actually believe in that.

Meanwhile, our jobs market is in a race to the bottom with every new "free trade" agreement implemented by this administration (and all the others in the past).

by YucatanMan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:21:52 AM PDT

•  What they want is jobs without spending (0+ / 0-)

which is kind of impossible, if, you know, they're the kind of jobs that pay, which is the kind we need. Perhaps you don't realize the extent to which (many) Americans are still terrified of "socialism"...

"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." --I.F. Stone

by Alice in Florida on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 09:47:22 AM PDT