View Diary: Allow This Brit to Remind Some of You What Matters to Americans (205 comments)

•  How is Twigg 'tearing down the beliefs of others?' (5+ / 0-)
    Catte Nappe, twigg, Gurnt, Sylv, Larsstephens

Is the sensitivity level so high that if someone points out that one's diary priorities are not in sync with the majority of the population, it therefore amounts to a 'tearing down?'

Twigg is THE LAST person on this blog that would seek to  tear down other's opinions (that weren't blatantly RW or bigoted). Clearly, his eye is on the ball here though and he's encouraging others to do the same. We often here the chant 'issues, policy!' over 'Party!'...welp, there you go: the issues that matter to Americans.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:45:39 AM PDT

•  if someone believes the diaries they write are (1+ / 0-)
      Medium Head Boy

important, and worthy, and this diary is telling them, essentially, those issues and diaries are not important, then I submit he is tearing down the beliefs of others.

any other questions?

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. --Edward Abbey

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 07:58:05 AM PDT

•  There's context that is inarguable. (1+ / 0-)
        Gurnt

If someone wants to believe their issues are important in the context that the diarist, and some commentators, have shown that they are not (public opinion/priorities), then their beliefs were never really standing tall enough to be 'torn down' in the first place.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:02:14 AM PDT

•  there isn't actually any data in this diary (1+ / 0-)
          Medium Head Boy

to support your or his claim beyond the anecdotal. So the context is lost on me as well.

and this:

If we elect the right people, the ones who can sell Americans on a platform of Jobs, Healthcare and Education, and those folk can offer workable and sustainable progress in those areas because they understand the issues, then we will be electing people who will take the appropriate steps in all the other areas.
          is underpants gnome logic.

Because this:

does not auto-equal this:

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:07:29 AM PDT

•  True, there's not stated data in the diary (1+ / 0-)
            twigg

and I was incorrect about that.

The conclusions are correct, however.

As far as 'underpants gnome logic' goes, I personally don't see anything in the diary that implies people's beliefs aren't important in their own context, just that they're not the public's priorities.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:16:31 AM PDT

•  that's the problem with denigrating others at the (0+ / 0-)

top of your diary:

There is some debate on this site about which issues are more important than others.

There is no debate among people who do not live in a political bubble, whether that be Wall Street, Washington, HuffPo, Daily Kos, RedState ...

So if I don't believe the same as Twigg, am I living in a bubble? Nope. I'm not. I only visit this bubble to share.

But my original point, and the one I'll restate here is, if you want to influence people, and the diaries they'll post or recommend, you'll have more success without fueling the same meta wars.

Sincerely.

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:21:55 AM PDT

•  I don't believe my Diaries (3+ / 0-)
        Gurnt, Sylv, Larsstephens

are "important and worthy".

I write them, and I let other people decide whether they are worth anything, or not.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:45:50 AM PDT

•  as it should be (0+ / 0-)

with less this:

So when Liberals and Progressives have had enough of worrying about the NSA, become tired of debating the personal qualities of Glenn Greenwald or Edward Snowden, quit obsessing over the minutia that is the difference between a gun and a pistol

by greenbastard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 08:52:51 AM PDT

•  Thanks :) (2+ / 0-)
      Sylv, Larsstephens

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?