View Diary: How the NSA protects us from terrorists and cheating spouses (134 comments)

•  < bangs head against wall > (12+ / 0-)

Can we just like get together and agree that this agency needs to be reined in? Please?

This is too much power for any part of our government to have. Simple really.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 10:38:50 AM PDT

•  If you haven't seen this... (3+ / 0-)
      Thomas Twinnings, JVolvo, lotlizard

...it might be worth 9 minutes of your time.  It's a segment from All In with Chris Hayes which aired about a week ago.

I know that Sirota isn't exactly well-regarded here, but put aside any preconceived ideas about him and watch the segment.  I think it rather nicely ties issues like Stop and Frisk to the NSA surveillance concerns without pooh-poohing either of them.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

by 4kedtongue on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 10:53:05 AM PDT

•  I always thought Sirota was fine and people were (1+ / 0-)
        4kedtongue

… being unnecessarily snippy / cranky / grumpy toward him.

But that's been true of a whole line of folks. Anyone with a name outside of Daily Kos tends to get heckled here as a publicity hound (actually, a less polite expression).

Seen it happen to Paul Krugman, Michael Moore, Cenk Uygur, David Swanson, and many others.

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ☮ ♥ ☺

by lotlizard on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 11:16:48 PM PDT

•  Reining it in is right. (5+ / 0-)
      4kedtongue, MBNYC, PhilJD, JVolvo, lotlizard

What's needed to address the NSA's problems goes far beyond creating new layers of oversight. We need to reduce the scope and scale of the surveillance programs, including limiting the number and job classifications of people who have access. We need more effective audit trails on searches. The names and broad outlines of the programs should be made public, and individuals who are targets of surveillance should be given access to their files after a certain amount of time if they are not found to have done anything wrong. Reforms on this scale are going to require both administrative action and legislation.

•  The NSA has had things their own way for so long (8+ / 0-)

that I don't know how to rein in this rogue agency and leave legitimate international intelligence work intact.

I think the NSA needs to be shut down, dismantled and rebuilt properly from the ground up. I would be fine with that rebuilding including revetting and rehiring many or most of the analysts and cryptographers who do the actual work.

The other dozen or so American spy agencies would just have to work a tiny bit harder to keep us safe while all that was going on.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 11:58:33 AM PDT

•  I think DKos CAN finally get together on this, (11+ / 0-)

as long as people like you, MBNYC, and Lawrence yesterday--Kossacks who are well-known not to be generally critical of the Obama administration--continue to push hard on the NSA issue.

This is in no way a back-handed compliment. I think you will stick with this.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 11:39:29 AM PDT

•  thats the thing (7+ / 0-)

most of the people who post NSA diaries are not critical of the Obama administration generally. I know Ive never written a diary on Obama that could be viewed as critical and have dozens that could be considered on the verge of propaganda. Somehow people seem to think that anti-Obama folks have come out of the woodwork on this issue. Im not even anti-Obama because of the issue, but due to the handling of it. These programs need halted once and for all by a democratic administration, before the next republican admin can misuse these programs and say 'well Obama did it', and we have no ground to stand on to be outraged.

"These are established professionals that have a liberal bent, but ultimately most of them if pushed will choose professional preservation over cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals" -BoA/HBGary/CoC

by LieparDestin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 11:53:05 AM PDT

•  I think: Of course the Rox/Sux divide colors (4+ / 0-)
          Bozmo2, PhilJD, greenbastard, LieparDestin

everything here, including how the tribes see don't see/talk past each other and the assumption of worst possible motives. I know I do it, and since all y'alls are morally and ethically inferior to me, it is widespread here :o)

Unfortunately, I think there was also a different group (with some tribal overlap) who pushed against Anything Jesselyn Radack posted here - Drake was her client - re Obama-era DoJ abuses and then Manning/Wikileaks/Govt programs.  That animosity was already in place when the 1st NSA story hit early June.

---

My shortest point to anyone who doesn't see the dangers I see:

What if Surveillance Director Darrell Issa had his hands on this NSA/contractor apparatus?

The GOP says you have to have an ID to vote, but $ Millionaire donors should remain anonymous?

by JVolvo on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 02:33:52 PM PDT

•  Thank (insert spiritual being of your choice here) (1+ / 0-)
            JVolvo

that Jesselyn Radack continues to keep up the good fight. If I had faced the level of abuse she has faced here, I doubt Id still be around. It saddens me that at one time her and this site where on pretty much the same page on these issues, and now the site has drifted so far to the right all in the name of defending the administration.

On a slightly related note someday in my lifetime I hope for a democratic Defense Secretary.

LoL... good one eh?

by LieparDestin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 04:41:51 PM PDT

•  Heh. (3+ / 0-)
        Hey338Too, Lost and Found, JVolvo

Thank you, but this is not actually difficult. Some of us, contrary to rumor, aren't actually fascist bootlickers of the neoliberal corporatocracy or whatever the expression is :-)

Seriously now, this is exactly what I was expecting. If the agency is going after members of Congress or the public in general, it will have consequences. That's how the system works.

Fuck me, it's a leprechaun.

by MBNYC on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 11:57:18 AM PDT