View Diary: NSA bugged UN headquarters, European Union, and UN nuclear watchdog organization (267 comments)

•  Then I'm kind of uncomfortable with the NSA (15+ / 0-)

in its current form.  Gathering everything on everybody, even if it starts at our borders and we are held magically immune, is creepy and tends toward totalitarianism. I don't think America needs to know what a German granny bought at the grocery store, for instance.

This case is more relevant and justifiable than a lot of what they're doing, but I'm still not OK with blanket hoovering of data; what the hell is so wrong with going after things only if you have a reason to or are asked to? as opposed to just going after everything and everyone, all the time?

The party of Kennedy is also the party of Eastland. The party of Javits is also the party of Goldwater. Where is our party? Where is the political party that will make it unnecessary to march on Washington?

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 01:42:39 PM PDT

•  Wait till German Granny flies an airplane into a (1+ / 0-)
      marsanges

building!

9/11.  Never forget.

"So what if a guy threw a shoe at me!"

by FoodChillinMFr on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 02:18:30 PM PDT

•  "kind of uncomfortable"? (13+ / 0-)

Personally, I'm terrified.

Of my own government.

Consider what's happening in Wisconsin. Now consider that Scott Walker clearly intends to be President of the United States, and have full access to the most powerful tools of suppression ever imagined.

Impossible, you say? Let's hope. Some of us remember saying exactly the same thing when W. first started making noises about going for POTUS -- that could NEVER happen. Far too stupid and crazy... Well, Scott Walker is W. on steroids. And he has the Koch billions behind him.

Still just "kind of uncomfortable"?

•  Hell, the day before St. Ron was elected the first (8+ / 0-)

time, I bet a friend dinner it would never happen.

Despite the polls, I couldn't believe the American people would do something as downright bizarre as elect Ronald Reagan President.

You'd think that even people here with unwavering confidence in the intelligence, thoughtfulness and goodwill of Barack Obama would be given pause by the nightmare likelihood that someday a Thug will wield these powers.

You'd think.

The only answer seems to be a smug

Well we'd better make sure that never happens then. Shut up and GOTV.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 03:28:02 PM PDT

•  I started to write a diary yesterday which was (8+ / 0-)

supposed to be a lighthearted attempt to have some fun wondering what else the NSA was up to, but I thought it was too soon to mock this serious issue.

One of my own paranoid suggestions to start the ball rolling was that not only does the NSA have the capability to turn on your IPhone's recorder and listen in when you think you turned off your phone, but it can view you as you're typing through the camcorder on your laptop.  This may be true, because one day a commenter accused me of lounging in my PJs, having a sink full of dirty dishes, and that assessment was spot on.

Just in case the NSA can video tape me, I'm going to moon my laptop from time to time to let them know exactly what I think of their spying on me.

Information is the currency of democracy. ~Thomas Jefferson

by CIndyCasella on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 03:10:48 PM PDT

•  "its current form"? (1+ / 0-)
      SouthernLiberalinMD

That has ALWAYS been its form.  That is the NSA's purpose, and has been since its inception.

If you're interested, here's a brief, declassified "Early History of the NSA" straight from the horse's mouth.

The word "parent" is supposed to be a VERB, people...

by wesmorgan1 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 06:51:38 PM PDT

•  As opposed to other forms it might take. (0+ / 0-)

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 05:41:42 AM PDT