View Diary: Florida citrus grower gets slap on the wrist after killing millions of honeybees (140 comments)

•  I've heard tupelo and sourwood are considered top (3+ / 0-)

notch and that rhododendron honey is actually poisonous.

•  Sourwood is very rare and extremely expensive but (5+ / 0-)

if you ever by chance see any for sale be sure to snatch it up, one of life's rare little treasures there. I'm a big honey fanatic, raspberry, white, Russian, acacia, sainfoin, taiga- just try any of those if ever given the opportunity, you'll never see that clover crap in the same light ever again.
         I know people make big claims to the health benefits of honey, I am not one of them but I will say that I never get sick even when everyone around me is, nor do I have any known allergies. May be something to it but I cannot attest to that in any scientific regard, only anecdotally. I just never liked the taste of sugar is what got me started on honey but I found out that each is so unique that I have tried every one I can possibly find. Kinda like a box of good chocolates I suppose.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:10:04 PM PDT

•  I've read good things about raw honey (3+ / 0-)

for digestive health.  Mixed with vinegar, honey is good for a sore throat.  And topically, honey can be used in wounds as an antibiotic.  The osmotic pressure caused by the high sugar content (the same process that keeps it from spoiling) kills bacteria and fungus.

I have had sourwood honey from a market here in Georgia and it was very good.

I find it fascinating that as technologically advanced as we are, we still can't replicate honey.

I still want to try mead one day, the fermented honey drink of old.

•  Ah, mead, the actual reason behind Geronimo's (2+ / 0-)
          Drocedus, Turbonerd

demise- gubment couldn't bear the thought of anyone but them having the ability to get shitfaced and went after the Apaches him initially because of their refusal stop making mead.
             With Cochise as his father in law that would be one family a person had to been a fool to mess with.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 07:57:27 PM PDT

•  Raw honey is a great health food. (1+ / 0-)
        teabaggerssuckbalz

Honey and vinegar is good for sore throats.  For skin wounds, honey can be used as an antibiotic.  The osmotic pressure, caused by the high sugar content which drains water from microbes, is what keeps honey from spoiling.

I've had sourwood honey once from a market here in GA and it was very good.  The sourwood is one of our finest native trees.

One day I would like to try mead, the fermented honey drink from the days of Beowulf.  Sounds good!

•  Well shit. I retyped this whole thing after my (3+ / 0-)

first post disappeared into the ether and now I look psychotic.

•  GA, huh? Off topic but you wouldn't happen to know (0+ / 0-)

anything about the Canton?Ball Ground area, would you? I noticed the population according to the 2000 census in Canton was about 7,000 and by the 2010 census it was about 26,000 IIRC. Supposedly it was due to the area having attracted high tech jobs. Any idea of what the jobs were?
             I stopped there a few months ago and pulled up  restaurants in Canton and 77 popped up- 77 in a town that size caught my attention and I meant to look into the area more online when I got home but forgot about it.
              Just curious.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 08:06:27 PM PDT

•  I live in Atlanta and have lived all over (1+ / 0-)
            teabaggerssuckbalz

the metro since 1983.  The area you're talking about, in the northern suburbs, has experienced incredible growth in the last 20 years. Atlanta does have high growth in high tech, but its not heavily slanted that way like Silicon Valley (I imagine). Not specific to Canton, but all the northern suburbs, and down to Midtown.  Georgia Tech is in Midtown.  I went to GT but my major was biology, so I don't know a great deal about the high tech jobs situation.  I do know the incomes are high, schools are good, crime is low, and you can still get a lot of home for the buck (in the suburbs, definitely not in Midtown).

Cherokee County (where Canton and Ball Ground are) was a very rural county when I moved to Georgia - now it is a prime real estate destination.  A bit north and you get to enjoy the mountainous area of Georgia, with trout streams and cooler temps.

•  Thanks for the info. I'm in ATL a few times a year (0+ / 0-)

and of all the major cities it has to be the most gorgeous place i've been. I do know I have to get the hell out of this dump they call Floriduh, I hate it! Between the gun nuts and the rednecks and our insane local and state governments there is really nothing good about it.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 03:41:24 AM PDT

•  live near Canton (1+ / 0-)
                teabaggerssuckbalz

We are stuck with Tom Price, so not much change from the "gentlemen" in Florida's legislature.

Housing market collapsed here after several years of insane growth.  There's still a lot of forest including a lot of protected land around Lake Allatoona.  We live very close to the lake and have wild honeybees living somewhere nearby.  We've made a point to plant as many plants to attract them (and hummingbirds and butterflies) as we can.  There are sourwood trees in the woods just across the street too, but the bees aren't sharing their treasure.

•  Cool, we do the same here. I used to have bees but (0+ / 0-)

the city made a big stink about them being in the city limits.
                  Seriously thinking of moving that way since Canada is too cold. Love that area, Cherokee and Pickens counties. This area was hit hard by NASA's retirement of the shuttle, I do okay doing what I do but just hate this state and the horrendous people I am surrounded by- time to move on I believe.
                    Thanks for the comment and info, appreciate that!

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:17:29 PM PDT

•  My favorite (0+ / 0-)

is star thistle honey.

•  True. (2+ / 0-)
      Turbonerd, JeffW
      ... rhododendron honey is actually poisonous.
      But you'd have to have a lot of rhododendrons and very few other flowers around to get honey that had enough poison in it to hurt you.  And the nectar could poison the bees before enough honey to hurt you accumulated.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -- Sen Carl Schurz 1872

by Calamity Jean on Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 09:50:00 PM PDT

•  Most pollination of rhodies (2+ / 0-)
        Turbonerd, JeffW

is done by bumblebees.

They tend to bloom early and in cool, wet weather.

Honey bees do not fly in wet or cool weather when the temps are 50ish.

'A scarlet tanager broke the silence with his song. She thought of the bird hidden in the leaves somewhere, unseen but nevertheless brilliant red. Nevertheless beautiful.' Barbara Kingsolver/ Prodigal Summer

by flowerfarmer on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:22:45 AM PDT