View Diary: (Updated) Winston Smith's Telescreen Has Arrived: DHS To Scan Americans in Public Places (209 comments)

•  Here is a weird story that happened to me: (18+ / 0-)

(Reposted from an earlier comment on the B.O.S. back in May--not to be confused with B.O.S.S.)

If you think we still have a ways to go to see individual infringements, think again. I write on the intertoobz, sometimes not anonymously, and much of the time it is criticisms of the government. When Snowden made public what we know now, my suspicions were confirmed.

About two years ago I was alone at night with my daughter, then 3, and she was playing my guitar on the couch.  It was so doggone cute that I decided to get a 30-second phone video of her performance.  My husband was away, and we had no visitors. I watched the video several times over the next few days and there was nothing untoward.

About a week later, I watched the video of my daughter playing the guitar again, and at the very last two seconds a strange man's voice cut in, saying, "Very good!"

To say this was unnerving is an understatement. It was terrifying.  The mind tries to make sense of something jarring like that, so I second guessed myself...was there someone there when I recorded it? No, we were alone, all night.  Did someone get a hold of my phone?  No, I never lost or misplaced it.  So, I called Verizon and told them the story, and basically was told, 1) not possible, 2) you either had a visitor, or a toy nearby made that comment at precisely the right second I recorded it and it didn't show up for a week, 3) not possible.

The video voice had a very crisp, and shall we say "military" sound to it--you know the voice: deep, but clear, direct, friendly. That's pure conjecture, of course.

I'll never know for sure, but if I were a betting woman, I'd say NSA has the ability to check out our phone videos, and to edit them.

"You are not even aware of what is possible. The extent of their capabilities is horrifying."Edward Snowden -6.62, -6.92

by CanyonWren on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:39:31 AM PDT

•  A similat thing happened to me, that Verizon (16+ / 0-)

claimed was impossible.  While on a plane from Florida to Rhode Island, my cell phone, which was off during the entire flight, would not work when I turned it on in the Airport in Rhode Island.  It turns out that somehow, my phone ended up with a number that was assigned by a small local phone company that used Verizon Wireless infrastructure.  The phone number was from an account that had been shut off for non payment.  It took days to fix this, I had to send my cell phone to verizon.  They replaced it with a new one with the correct data for my account.
           Verizon has refused to comment on this, return my phone, or explain how this could have happened.  But It Did Happen.  A relative who works in telephones checked the old phone before I sent it back to Verizon Wireless and was amazed at the event. He could not explain it either.  But it is clear that there are connections within at least the wireless system that are not what we are told they are.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of scoundrels, but religion is assuredly the first.

by StrayCat on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:59:11 AM PDT

•  Let me get this straight: while you were on a (6+ / 0-)

plane for 2-3 hours your phone was reprogrammed with another person's defunct number? Wow. I'm sure there are many strange stories like this....anyone else have a story?

by CanyonWren on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:08:21 AM PDT

•  Wow (12+ / 0-)

I have a story of my own, and I'm sure so many people do, but years ago, probably in 2003 or 2004, I was talking cellphone-to-cellphone with a close friend of mine, and, as politically minded people, we were chatting about the war on terror. I referred to OBL by name, and the phone conversation dropped. I had to call my friend back. I didn't think twice at first, because cellphones drop calls all the time. But then I referred to him by name again, and it cut out again. It happened three times! Every time after I referred to OBL by name.

Clearly some wire was crossed, and their keyword system was activating when I said the name OBL, but then it was inadvertently cutting off our phone calls, when I'm sure it was just supposed to flag them, or something. Some kind of technical error. But it was eye-opening, to say the least, and unnerving.

Also, how stupid is it to flag phone calls where people refer to OBL by name? Do they really think that terrorists would talk about their boss using his real name?

"As the madmen play on words, and make us all dance to their song / to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun..." -- Iron Maiden

by Lost Left Coaster on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:36:05 AM PDT

•  A couple of days ago... (0+ / 0-)

my wife and I were talking about the remodeling of the living room.  She was going to go online and see what was out there for ottomans.  During the conversation she also mentioned that she wanted to get an electronic picture frame to show family pictures on the wall.

Anyway, she searched for ottoman on google.  The first two things that popped up were ottomans, then next two were electronic picture frames.  Weird.

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." ~Benjamin Franklin

by kharma on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 05:26:21 AM PDT

•  Is it possible someone switched your phone? (5+ / 0-)
        mrkvica, Einsteinia, Simplify, gerrilea, kharma

did you use it after you went through security?

Could it have been switched inadvertantly with another phone of the exact same model and coincidently, the same style case, going through the metal detector?

Weird no matter what happened.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:47:12 AM PDT

•  I remember this story the first time you told it.. (7+ / 0-)

(or it was a story very similar to yours)

I cannot even imagine how creepy that must have made you feel.

Strange days indeed

'Cuz freedom can't protect itself ~~ EFF ~ EPIC ~ ACLU

by markthshark on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:37:39 AM PDT

•  I read your original comment, CanyonWren. (3+ / 0-)
      CanyonWren, gerrilea, kharma

It gave me goosebumps then, and it still does.  I haven't forgotten it, either-

•  Thanks Ramoth (2+ / 0-)
        Ramoth, kharma

It's good you remember; I hope everyone does that reads it. Things are not getting better on the national security front--far from it.

by CanyonWren on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 07:10:40 PM PDT