View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Obama's Syrian plan lacks a 'logical premise and a well-designed goal' (218 comments)

•  so it appears most would let it go on (2+ / 0-)
    high uintas, Lying eyes

Gassing people isn't reason to do anything? So Hitler gassing the Jews, what about that I wonder? I for one am against the gassing of people.

•  well at least we, the US,... (3+ / 0-)
      Miggles, CenPhx, CcVenussPromise

...is consistent on this point.  We didn't enter WWII because of the gassing of Jews either.  What about if this is the start of WWIII, or a WWI redux, do you think we should be the start.

BTW I call Godwin's law for the win.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:04:47 PM PDT

•  I'm inclined to agree with you (5+ / 0-)

tho' I've found that it's usually flame bait to compare anything to Hitler. Only Hitler was Hitler.

BTW, welcome to Daily Kos obamaisgreat. I hope to see more of your comments and learn about you.

I'm high uintas, an old hippie who lives in Utah. I've been here almost 9 years and if you are anything like me you will find that you have now got yourself a new addiction. dkos is hard to quit.

Welcome, again.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:05:18 PM PDT

•  dkos is hard to quit (1+ / 0-)
        JeffW

yeah, it was hard.  but when it turned into "obama is right no matter what he does" i left.  i've been severely disappointed by obama (and i was exhilarated when he got elected, so i am not a sour hillary voter), and just as disappointed by progressives who turned into apologists.

just came back to see whether this is the day that will break the camel's back at dkos.  the votes look hopeful, but i see the apologists are out in full force in the comments, because clearly we must bomb the village to save the children from the evil gas.

insanity.

in regard to the jews and hitler:  the US didn't bomb then and did in general not cover itself in glory when it came to helping jews who had already escaped from germany.  but that sure is no reason to act with military intervention now, because you know?  dead is dead, no matter whether it was gas or a bomb or mines (which the US still uses) that kill guilty and innocent alike.  have you learned nothing from iraq?

if the US really wanted to save people rather than rattle its overly large sabre for whatever egotistical reasons, then they'd start a campaign to drop massive amounts of field medicine over syria.  because sarin is survivable and can be treated, and the meds are dirt cheap.

•  So (8+ / 0-)

If I'm against the bombing that would likely kill more innocent people and has no guarantee of success, but a good chance of making things a hell of a lot worse, I'm cool with allowing more people to get gassed, and by extension, must be cool with what Hitler did.

Do I have that about right?

In wording your comment the way you did, I think you're trying to make my choice for me.

by DeadHead on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:34:14 PM PDT

•  300 People (3+ / 0-)
      JeffW, aliasalias, dinotrac

It's not the gassing, it's the actual genocide.

Are you volunteering to go to Syria to stop it? I am not.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:35:55 PM PDT

•  So, everything would be OK, if he just bombed (8+ / 0-)

these people? I mean if planes just dropped a bunch of 1000 pound bombs on the neighborhood, then it would be OK, right.

It's just the gas that's the problem?

I totally don't get this site sometimes.

"If you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing!" (on a sign at a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans)

by ranger995 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:38:02 PM PDT

•  He has been bombing them (0+ / 0-)

and using artillery, pummeling them to get rid of them. It hasn't worked so he's now resorted to gassing them. We have an agreement concerning chemical weapons with only five nations who have failed to sign on.

There is a reason we treat CWs differently than conventional weapons, just as we treat nuclear weapons differently. They are horrific.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 09:51:25 PM PDT

•  There are also agreements about mines, and (3+ / 0-)
          atana, CenPhx, fran1

I think we are one of the few countries who have refused to sign. Mines are sadistic and breed terror in populations, yet we still use them.

I don't think Syria has signed on to the chemical weapons agreement--that makes us similar.

Have you ever been on a bomb damage assessment?

You don't think that's horrific?

In any case, it still looks to me as if you are saying that we only should get involved because of the gas. So, if he had lined them up and shot them, no worries.

My mind is a blur.

by ranger995 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:06:47 PM PDT

•  Sorry that your mind is blurry (0+ / 0-)

What I am saying is that to the best of my knowledge we are intending to bomb military targets, weapons delivery systems, airplanes, ect. The machines of war.

The reason is the hope that we can cause other nations along with Syria to think extra hard before using chemical weapons.

I've said before I've lived only about 20 miles from a large chemical weapons storage facility. We only finished burning them up a couple of years ago. Maybe I'm just sensitive about them.

I need to go to sleep before my mind gets blurry.

"Humidity built the snowman. Sunshine brought him down" John Prine

by high uintas on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 10:19:06 PM PDT

•  So if he only intended to gas military targets (0+ / 0-)

and happened to kill a whole bunch of civilians, that would be OK?

So the next time that there is a hostage situation at a bank, the police should go in and napalm everybody to make any bank robber think twice before robbing banks?

•  If some of the estimates I've seen are correct, (0+ / 0-)

it's been working pretty well.  Well enough, apparently, to kill 100,000 people.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 03:00:38 AM PDT

•  If the US has (2+ / 0-)
        Orcas George, CcVenussPromise

really conclusive evidence that Assad is responsible, bring him to The Hague and judge him there - if needed even in absentia. That might save hundreds of childrens of being killed by US cruise missles.

Read the European view at the European Tribune

by fran1 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 11:08:01 PM PDT

•  So we should have bombed the concentration camps? (3+ / 0-)
      fran1, CcVenussPromise, maryabein

That is the analogy.   The only people we will be hurting are Syrians, and we don't even know who the "good" Syrians are let alone where they are.

The argument is not for "doing nothing."   Prove that Assad is behind this and despite being against the death penalty, I'll bring the rope.   But I am pretty sure you are not for a wholesale invasion of the country, so the only military option is just something that kills Syrians and makes us feel better.    This is how we solve the killing of Syrians?

•  Gassing people is reason to bomb people (6+ / 0-)

The logic is as clear as day.

To paraphrase a saying that was popular when I was an undergraduate: Bombing for peace is like fucking for chastity.

•  And Hussein gassing the kurds. (0+ / 0-)

History is not on the side of intervention here.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Aug 31, 2013 at 02:57:17 AM PDT