View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 9/6 (288 comments)

•  Some Democrats would actually support (1+ / 0-)
    gabjoh

his impeachment in a scenario in which he directly violated the will of Congress and attacked a country.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:02:33 PM PDT

•  I agree (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, okiedem

I wouldn't, but I both take a broad view of executive power and support military intervention in Syria, which I guess makes me a bad Democrat these days? IDK.

Pragmatic progressive. Oregonian, Cascadian, and American. Keeper of the DKE glossary.

by SaoMagnifico on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:07:34 PM PDT

•  It most certainly does not (2+ / 0-)
        okiedem, SaoMagnifico

Have you seen Michael Tomasky's latest at Daily Beast? I read it and thought of you. There are logical and genuine arguments to be made on all sides of this situation. Unfortunately for the president and the people in the line of fire in Syria you and I are clearly in the minority.

"What do you mean "conspiracy"? Does that mean it's someone's imaginings and that the actual polls hovered right around the result?" - petral

by conspiracy on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:27:24 PM PDT

•  Same boat - also have to say this hurts Obama (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, SaoMagnifico

if not so much domestically, definitely abroad. While I don't think his impending defeat in this vote will have much effect on the budget and debt ceiling negotiations I think it will be pretty catastrophic for his ability to represent the country's interests abroad. While this is bad enough on its own it seems the worst part of this will be that it makes an Israel-Iran war much more likely (paradoxically likely involving a much more active role for the US than would the limited strike in Syria).

27, originally OK-1, currently NY-10. Former swingnut.

by okiedem on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:35:39 PM PDT

•  Yep (1+ / 0-)
          SaoMagnifico
          And I.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:49:08 PM PDT

•  you don't need a broad view of executive power (2+ / 0-)
        SaoMagnifico, jncca

to think the president doesn't at least initially need Congress to give him permission.

by James Allen on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:34:47 PM PDT