View Diary: Obama says he will make case for Syria attack on Tuesday from White House (229 comments)

•  I support our president (2+ / 0-)
    eeff, varii

Shame on those "Democrats" who are intent on pulling the rug out from under him.

-9.00, -3.69 "The purpose of a campaign is not to answer their attacks, but make them answer our attacks." - Paul Begala

by SlackerInc on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:32:38 AM PDT

•  then enlist in the U.S. Army (13+ / 0-)

80 % of Success is Just Showing Up! Hey Climate Deniers, Welcome to CLIMATE HELL!

by Churchill on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:35:15 AM PDT

•  weak (1+ / 0-)
      FiredUpInCA

The people calling him weak for going to congress are the people who don't want to make the decisions..This is a good use of politics--getting cover for a decision that will be unpopular no matter how it goes.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. John Kenneth Galbraith .

by melvynny on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:42:32 AM PDT

•  That's awesome (21+ / 0-)

Do you support the President because he is a Democrat, or do you just reflexively support "Our President" no matter which party affiliation?

And, yeah, I'm one of those Democrats who wants to "pull the rug" out from under the President by challenging his illogical position, making him seek Congressional approval before launching an attack, making him abide by a Congressional decision, and holding him responsible for the outcome.

Shame on me for believing in the Constitution and holding our President responsible for the decisions he makes -- especially when those decisions may involve us in war.

•  Neither (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't support just any Democrat.  If Joe Manchin was president, I imagine I would oppose him on many things.  I live in Missouri, and tend to get fed up with our Conserva-Dem governor Jay Nixon, although he's still better than the alternative.

On the other hand, it was rare that I supported anything Bush proposed, but I didn't rule it out just because of his party (for instance, I liked the idea of means-testing SS).

I just think Democrats taking a stand against Obama and Kerry on this particular issue, when they are standing up against the gassing of civilians including hundreds of children, is weaksauce.  And it's a sad commentary on the American people in general that they seem to be overwhelmingly telling their representatives to stay out.  Back to good old American "what's in it for us" isolationism, it appears.

by SlackerInc on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 05:20:58 PM PDT

•  I'm with you. I am glad he is on the job. I have (0+ / 0-)

no idea what should or will happen to achieve less death. I think less death is best thing that could happen, but how would you ever know it was 'less'. Death is death.

Everyone seems to be hearing this.

around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
      I don't think it is being said at all.

give the NRA the Royal Flush join Stop The NRA

by 88kathy on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:48:36 AM PDT

•  He's a big boy (2+ / 0-)
      Egalitare, SlackerInc

He can take criticism from as many fronts as need be. Politics ain't bean bag. It's a very tense and difficult situation and I actually think he's handling things quite well. Remember, Assad is keenly interested in what Obama has to say, and the administration has to be careful not to give aid and comfort to the enemy prematurely. Even if Congress fails to authorize and the idea for some kind of military attack is completely taken off the table, there's no way on God's Green Earth that Obama will admit to that, as there would be no strategic advantage to doing so.

•  Shame on Democrats or anyone else (13+ / 0-)

who bases his or her war vote on party affiliation of the President. I am sure the people of the world will be comforted to know you vote on immediate life or death issues boils down to which party the decision-maker belongs.

That not principle we can believe in.

I'm just Double Tapped the hell out.

by pajoly on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:54:38 AM PDT

•  No bigger defender than me (5+ / 0-)

I have the HR's to prove it.

but..enough is enough. I had to ask myself what is there to defend. How can we support this attack on Syria with the results of other actions staring us in the face?

Remember that Iraq started with a limited action by Bush I. How did that end?

I still support the president but not on this.

...the GOP seems perfectly willing to hold their breath until the whole country turns Blue.

by tommy2tone on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 07:55:48 AM PDT

•  Iraq also started... (1+ / 0-)
        SlackerInc

Under false pretenses.  We were sold the Iraq war on the LIE of WMD possibly being somewhere in that country.

Now we're watching on Youtube children getting gassed, obvious and blatant use of a WMD staring the international community right in the face.

Feel the boy who cried wolf effect?  Or the Bush who cried wolf as it were...  We're all rightfully wary of military action, especially in the Middle East.

Hypothetical - If Iraq had never happened, would you support this intervention to uphold these international norms?

Education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance. -Will Durant

by Blue Dream on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:10:28 AM PDT

•  I would like to say no..but (0+ / 0-)

you ask a good question.

The problem is Iraq did happen and all these years later, with so many American deaths and Trillions of dollars gone, we just have to say no.

Obama has forgotten he was elected to end the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

by tommy2tone on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 10:21:15 AM PDT

•  I don't think he's forgotten that... (1+ / 0-)
            tommy2tone

He mentioned that very fact during the conference today.  That he was elected to end wars, not to start them.

He seems keenly aware that this is a hard sell and that he may not have the support of the American people, but he is trying to make the case.

I just think the reality of our war exhaustion is setting in hard.  Rightfully so.

Education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance. -Will Durant

by Blue Dream on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 10:31:08 AM PDT

•  While I support him (3+ / 0-)
      Blue Dream, CrissieP, Matt Z

your statement reeks of wrong.  Democrats should be free to vote their conscious on this and I'm willing to bet that Barack Obama fully believes that and will abide by the will of the people in the end.

•  That's part of the problem with our system (2+ / 0-)
      corvo, HCKAD

People like you loyal to a person and not the ideology you believe in.

Well, fuck that.

I don't care who the person is, if I don't support what they do or want to do, then I won't. Simple as that.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." - Mark Twain

by Moon Mop on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:04:25 AM PDT

•  So if he jumps off the cliff, you're right there (5+ / 0-)
      corvo, tardis10, greenbell, snoopydawg, HCKAD

with him ala lemmings?

I kinda prefer to think for myself.  I keep remembering those presidents that wanted me to go kill people in 'Nam, or Nicaragua, or Iraq, or et cetera no thanks, then, no thanks, now.

Oh, and attacking Syria is illegal and an act of aggressive war.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum "Let justice be done though the heavens fall."

by bobdevo on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 08:21:43 AM PDT

•  I'm not ashamed for opposing the President (0+ / 0-)

What have we to gain by illegally starting a war with an ill defined limited objective which will do nothing to get Assad to end the civil war in Syria?

As an old soldier, I side with our military leaders. Yesterday MG Robert Scales, former Commandant of the Army War College, wrote an opinion piece in the Washington Post which expressed the sentiment of our military leadership. It included the following: "They (our military leaders) are tired of wannabe soldiers who remain enamored of the lure of bloodless machine warfare. Look, one told me, if you want to end this decisively, send in the troops and let them defeat the Syrian army. If the nation doesn't think Syria is worth serious commitment, then leave them alone.

• Recommended (156)
  • Texas (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Environment (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site