View Diary: Manipulation and Twisting DBAD Rule (235 comments)

•  If a diary has been sitting around for hours and (5+ / 0-)

hours and a member hasn't been in it at all, then taking pot shots at someone who hasn't shown up in it seems completely unreasonable to me.

Actually, potshots in general are unreasonable. But if someone has been commenting in a diary, then they're an active participant in a diary, and presumably may return to defend themselves.

It's when someone hasn't even registered their presence in a diary and people are slamming them that it seems particularly unreasonable.

Otherwise, we would all be obligated to monitor every diary just to ensure that we're not being insulted behind our backs, presuming people care about such things. And many people do.

You disagree?

© grover

by grover on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 02:13:22 PM PDT

•  It means you can't escape the piefight (2+ / 0-)
      polecat, grover

between the people who like Ray and the people who don't, because they bring it into threads and diaries which have no relation to it.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. --John F. Kennedy

by CenPhx on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 02:17:54 PM PDT

•  Crikey. I live by the potshot. :( (0+ / 0-)

(but on the rest, I must argue about the implications.  I cannot mention RKBA people outside of a diary they're participating in?)

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
      I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
      —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 02:24:59 PM PDT

•  By individual name? No, not if you're gratituously (2+ / 0-)
        CenPhx, PhilJD

slamming them.

What's the point of taking shots at third-party community members? How does that prove you're correct on an issue or policy?

By group, I think that's different.  Although, it's dangerous, Dee Oliver is a member of RKBA, for example. So you best tread carefully. Broad brushes paint quickly, but they aren't effective tools for most artwork.

And hey, if it's any solace, I'll defend your honor if you're not there to defend yourself. I've defended people I virtually always disagree with.

It's the principle.

Hamden could have made the exact same point without slamming Ray. I know he could have. He's an articulate guy. His point would have been better if he had not gone there. But he did. So calling him on it was the right call.

© grover

by grover on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 03:26:19 PM PDT

•  The alternative would be hijacking Ray in (0+ / 0-)

His own diary.  is that better?

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 04:20:10 PM PDT

•  The alternative? (3+ / 0-)
            grover, CenPhx, dclawyer06

You assume that he needs hijacked AT ALL.

Let's put aside the sheer arrogant presumptuousness of this statement, and then remember that "attacking another diarist" in a diary that is not theirs (whether they're a commenter only, or they're not around at all), that this is very much like "dragging pie fights from diary to diary".

That gives admin a frowny face. Is it exactly the same thing? No. But it's a perfectly reasonable argument to make that it is quite similar.

Some of you have a beef with Ray's diaries, and you've been dragging it around to other diaries. Diaries that are not his. Diaries that allege to bring him up as a subject that he is not a subject, nor are the diaries his. Diaries where he's not even actively commenting that aren't his. And that's bullshit. If you have that big of a beef with whatever he writes, then take it to admin.

If you're not willing to do that, then kindly accept your own cowardice regarding same and leave the rest of the community out of it.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 04:36:11 PM PDT

•  ^^^. What she said. (1+ / 0-)
              CenPhx

© grover

by grover on Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 05:26:32 PM PDT

•  I did no such thing. As you well know. (1+ / 0-)
              CenPhx

But my point is it allowed to confront someone on their body of (for lack of a more appropriate word) work?

If so, where/when?

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
              I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
              —Spike Milligan