View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 9/13 (224 comments)

•  Yom Kippur starts tonight (eom) (6+ / 0-)

Get the Daily Kos Elections Digest in your inbox every weekday. Sign up here.

by David Nir on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 08:27:38 AM PDT

•  I went to a heavily Jewish college (7+ / 0-)

and we got EVERYTHING off: Catholic/Christian holidays, Jewish holidays, you name it. Nne year, we got two separate weeks off because of the way the calendar fell.

If there's a better argument for multiculturalism, I haven't found it.

"At this point, if the president came out in favor of breathing, [Republican leaders would] tell their caucus members to hold their breaths."--Jared Bernstein

by bjssp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 08:31:15 AM PDT

•  *off for spring break (1+ / 0-)
        Setsuna Mudo

by bjssp on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 08:35:19 AM PDT

•  New York City schools are like that. (1+ / 0-)
        bjssp

NYC is the only city in the U.S. I could think of where the public schools and public universities also observes Jewish holiday along with Christian holidays. We're we don't have school. Plus we get lot of recesses on top of that. One in February (Mid-Winter recesses) and Spring Break (depending on when Easter & Passover is)

So growing up and going to school in NYC we knew when Jewish holidays fell during the school year.

Just to tell a little story, when I was in high school as a freshmen few of my classmates were cutting school. And they got caught by police. Few of them escaped into to the nearest subway station. But one of my classmate who got caught, when the policemen ask him why he wasn't in school? he told them "cause it's a Jewish holiday" lmao. Mind you this was in February and to my knowledge I don't know any Jewish holiday in February.

NY-9/NJ-10; Russians can give you arms but only the United States can give you a solution. -- Anwar Sadat

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:13:02 AM PDT

•  On top of that (0+ / 0-)

A lot of Jewish folks in NYC work in the public schools and universities. Going back back for decades when they emigrated here. So for decades it's been like that here. Long before I was born.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:26:16 AM PDT

•  At my school in rural WI, (0+ / 0-)

the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we got semi-off. Half the kids would show up and have easy/fun days and the other half would be gone deer hunting.

Gay farm boy, 21, who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -5.88, -3.64, 2012 Daily Kos Elections Pick'Em runner-up.

by WisJohn on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 02:10:37 PM PDT

•  Yall Lucky (0+ / 0-)

We never got half a days' on the Mon, Tues, and Wed on the week of Thanksgiving in NYC.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 04:27:24 PM PDT

•  Rural schools in Michigan (0+ / 0-)

A lot of rural schools in Michigan close for the opening of deer hunting season.  Even those that don't record a whole bunch of children calling in sick.  I went to a city school, though a lot of the kids came from the exurbs, and remember how empty it was on those days.

•  The schools in (0+ / 0-)

Montgomery County, MD, where I live, were closed for Rosh Hashanah last week, with all students and teachers off.  If Yom Kippur weren't on Saturday they'd probably close for that, too.  (And I just found out that next week Sukkot falls on my birthday, which is also Talk Like a Pirate Day.)

Meanwhile, the schools get a week off for "spring break" in April (April 14-21 in 2014), a week that includes Passover as well as Easter.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 09:37:24 AM PDT

•  pretty sure (0+ / 0-)

we got High Holydays off during school (in Providence)...

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:28:03 AM PDT

•  also (0+ / 0-)

Purim was in late February this year.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:28:47 AM PDT

•  Growing up in NY (0+ / 0-)

the only holidays I knew that fell during the school calender, not on a break is Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. And that's in the beginning of the school. Our Spring Breaks we have depends on when Easter and Passover falls.

Someyears it was in March some in April. From what I saw on Wiki, Purim falls on a Friday, and it was in February of this year, and next year will be in March.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 11:09:38 AM PDT

•  I never got it off in Silicon Valley public school (0+ / 0-)

We had a decent sized Jewish population at my elementary and middle school, but I always had to miss class when either day fell on a weekday.

At Tulane, we got it off.  Very big Jewish population, and I've observed most non-denominational colleges take it off.

23, male, CA-18 (home and voting there), LA-02 (resident).

by Jeff Singer on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 11:17:37 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I think it's depends on where you from (1+ / 0-)
                  Darth Jeff

I think the Northeast is not a surprise. Given the significant Jewish population here. Places like NY, Philly and probably Boston. The only place I could think of down in the Southeast is maybe South Florida. In the Mid-West Im pretty sure Chicago does it. And Im also sure they do it in California for Los Angeles County.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 11:25:48 AM PDT

•  Chicago (0+ / 0-)

I went to college there and we didn't get class off, but in recent years they started pushing back the start date of the school year so as to be after the high holydays if possible.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 04:07:26 PM PDT

•  I think of a better arguement; the food. (3+ / 0-)
        bythesea, bjssp, betelgeux

Seriously, whenever I go to Salt Lake City (one of the two truly multicultural cities in the state) it's like a smorgasbord of delectable dining! Food from nations without number! A treat for my taste buds! Vietnamese, Himalayan, Somali, Sudanese, Thai, Ethopian, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Mexican, you name it, SLC restaurants have it. It's grand and great.

Aaaaand to be honest, I should probably lay off the alliteration.

But yeah, I'm in favor of multiculturalism for the sake of it.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 10:10:20 AM PDT

•  In San Francisco public schools (0+ / 0-)

we get Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese New Year off. No Jewish holidays though.

23, D, pragmatic progressive (-4.50, -5.18), CA-14. DKE folk culture curator.

by kurykh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 11:15:20 AM PDT