View Diary: Breaking: Kerry issues ultimatum ! (225 comments)

•  Seems more like he's giving Congress an out. (4+ / 0-)
    tardis10, CenPhx, Euroliberal, 3goldens

Not Assad.

So if the Congress frames it as "... or else!" does that make everyone feel better when Assad fails to comply and we bomb?

Calling other DKos members "weenies" is a personal insult and therefore against site rules.

by Bob Johnson on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 05:35:59 AM PDT

•  No, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with (1+ / 0-)
      joe from Lowell

Congress. He was asked a question by a reporter and he replied  that there would be no attack if Assad handed over his chemical weapons and that he did not expect that to happen.

A question - an answer. Again, what answer would you prefer (other than, I suppose, we don't give a shit how many people Assad gasses, we don't intend to do anything about it)?

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 05:40:44 AM PDT

•  What would I prefer? (8+ / 0-)

A non-answer. Drawing yet another "red line" just draws another box.

Politicians are good at non-answers, including, "I won't discuss hypotheticals at this time."

by Bob Johnson on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 05:44:34 AM PDT

•  Not a red line. (2+ / 0-)
          joe from Lowell, shalca

Do you really not see a difference in these two statements:

We will attack in one week if Assad does not hand over weapons

and

If Assad hands over weapons, there will be no attack?

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 05:58:22 AM PDT

•  And you would have applauded if (1+ / 0-)
          joe from Lowell

Kerry had said that anything Assad could do to avoid a strike was a hypothetical? In other words, any scenario to avoid a strike is hypothetical - ie non-existant?

I think you would have been quite upset at that answer.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 06:23:36 AM PDT

•  Why say anything at this point? (0+ / 0-)

He should keep his mouth shut until Obama's speech is over and Congress has acted one way or the other.

by Bob Johnson on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 07:47:08 AM PDT

•  He was asked a question. (0+ / 0-)

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 08:09:13 AM PDT

•  Heh. (0+ / 0-)

And he doesn't have to answer. In fact, that happens more often than not.

by Bob Johnson on Mon Sep 09, 2013 at 09:29:00 AM PDT

•  And it wasn't really much of an answer. (0+ / 0-)

It wasn't news. It wasn't some new red line. It wasn't an ultimatum.

It was just a "sure, if he gives up his weapons." Well, duh. Of course.

So when news organizations or diarists get all up in arms like this was actually something new or particularly meaningful, it is misplaced outrage IMO. It was essentially nothing - a fairly neutral answer to a question by a journalist. Nothing whatsoever had changed or was new by this answer.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie