View Diary: Operation Accidental Diplomacy (88 comments)

•  Just curious (2+ / 0-)
    joe from Lowell, gooderservice

if anyone has a link/info where I can read why the g20 conference proposal was shot down and by which player involved?

Thanks in advance!

"These are established professionals that have a liberal bent, but ultimately most of them if pushed will choose professional preservation over cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals" -BoA/HBGary/CoC

by LieparDestin on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 07:51:26 AM PDT

•  It wasn't shot down. That was just a few days... (5+ / 0-)

before Kerry's statement, which would suggest it was still a work in progress.

And neither side is talking about what was said at the G20, or about any inside-baseball stuff regarding the deal at all.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 07:59:33 AM PDT

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell

I thought I had seen a story that had mentioned some of the stuff that had gone on in the room but am not able to find it at the moment now (damn work!).

by LieparDestin on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 08:01:21 AM PDT

•  Kerry's statement was a rebuff to Putin (1+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell

As I said earlier, I think it's likely that Kerry was appearing to be making an offhand comment because it was the best way to put Putin's private responses for the idea into the public sphere.  He was issuing a challenge and, unless Putin is able to meet that challenge, makes any Russian response to a strike completely Russia's fault.  We, after all, tried to avert that strike.  I think the level of diplomacy this team is showing is astounding and brilliant.

"When you think about the money spent/on defense by the government/& the weapons of destruction we've built/we're so sure that we need/then you think of the millions that money could feed/How long?" J Browne

by rainmanjr on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:41:32 PM PDT

•  Just curious if anyone has a link to the story (1+ / 0-)
      LieparDestin

reporting that Congress was definitely going to pass the bill for Obama to bomb Syria.

•  I 2nd (1+ / 0-)
        gooderservice

the request for that link. Last I had read is there was nowhere near the votes needed?

by LieparDestin on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 12:34:45 PM PDT

•  That's the last I read, too. (2+ / 0-)
          aliasalias, Bisbonian

I also watched Kerry respond to the reporter's question, I just didn't read the response.

Unless Kerry is a very good actor and communicator, which I don't believe he is (i.e., 2003-2004 campaign), with the way he said it, the way he walked it back all at the same time, I'd bet big bucks that it was accidental that he said those words at that specific time.

I also believe based on what I've read, it wasn't a unique idea, that the idea had been floated for weeks, months or a year, but that it was not planned to be brought forth by Kerry at that particular moment in a press conference.

•  Nonsense. (1+ / 0-)
            joe from Lowell

This is not the kind of thing that's accidental.  Kerry and Obama had crafted the release to be done in this manner and Kerry delivered it.  This was a response to Putin's private dismissal of the plan as being impossible.

by rainmanjr on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:44:19 PM PDT

•  I'd add further that the idea that Kerry (0+ / 0-)

brought up was just way too important to be part of an everyday press conference.  What if that reporter or no reporters ever asked that specific question?  Then what?

•  I'll have to (1+ / 0-)
            gooderservice

find footage/transcripts of those events, I don't remember who asked the question? Was it 'friendly' reporter?

by LieparDestin on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 12:57:52 PM PDT

•  lol, we're on the same wavelength, I believe. (1+ / 0-)
              LieparDestin

As I was typing out my reply to you, I was wondering the same thing.

I don't know.  I'll try to find out.  I saw it on CBS This Morning, I think, and the reporter had a ramp-up and then the question.

•  Here is the transcript of the entire question and (1+ / 0-)
              LieparDestin

answer: (My bolding)

MODERATOR: Margaret Brennan from CBS.

QUESTION: Thank you. Mr. Secretary, in that CBS interview that you just referenced, Bashar al-Assad said that the presentation that you’ve made reminds him, quote, his words, “of the big lie that Colin Powell said in front of the world about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.” He says you personally have presented no evidence of a chemical weapons attack, just your confidence and your convictions. And he disputes the argument you just laid out, his argument saying his government relies on reality, not social media, and says Russian intelligence contradicts this false evidence. What is your response?

And secondly, is there anything at this point that his government could do or offer that would stop an attack?

SECRETARY KERRY: Sure. He could turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week. Turn it over, all of it, without delay, and allow a full and total accounting for that. But he isn’t about to do it, and it can’t be done, obviously.

But with respect to the credibility issue, look, I just answered that. I just gave you real evidence, evidence that, as a former prosecutor in the United States, I could tell you I can take into a courtroom and get admitted. And I believe this man – I mean, I’ve personally tried people who have gone away for long prison sentences or for life for less evidence than we have of this. So I’m confident about the state of the evidence.

You can go to whitehouse.gov, read the unclassified report, and make your own judgments. What does he offer? Words that are contradicted by facts. And he doesn’t have a very strong record with respect to this question of credibility, because I personally visited him once at the instruction of the White House to confront him on his transfer of Scud missiles to Hezbollah, which we knew had taken place and had all kinds of facts, and he sat there and simply denied it to my face, notwithstanding the evidence I presented and what we showed him.

So this is a man who has just killed, through his regime, over 1,000 of his own citizens. Over 100,000, or about 100,000, have been murdered over the course of the last months. He sent Scud missiles into schools. He sends airplanes to napalm children. Everybody has seen that. This is a man without credibility. And so I will happily stand anywhere in the world with the evidence that we have against his words and his deception and his acts.

And here is the video from CBS This Morning:
              •  Seems like a set up ? (2+ / 0-)
                gooderservice, joe from Lowell

he laid out what was probably already agreed with Russia but was throwing in some qualifiers 'out 'in the next week' and 'and it cant be done, obviously'.

Thanks!

by LieparDestin on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:40:31 PM PDT

•  The odds were zero (1+ / 0-)
            joe from Lowell

Are you telling me that Kerry wouldn't have stayed until someone asked how we could avert a strike?  That was the question of the day.  Nobody asking it would be like your kid not asking if there wasn't a way to avoid school on a test day.  Someone was going to ask.  In the unlikely event nobody had then he would have tossed it out in some other manner.

by rainmanjr on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 01:47:21 PM PDT

•  No, it wasn't the question of the day. (0+ / 0-)
              If it were the "question of the day," it would have been asked repeatedly once Obama's "red line" had been crossed and he wanted to bomb Syria, then had to get Congressional approval, which he wasn't going to get.

And during all the Congressional hearings when Congress wasn't even back in session yet, did you ever hear anyone ask those testifying:

Is there anything at this point that his government could do or offer that would stop an attack?
              If so, I would really appreciate a link to that.
              •  Lack of the question doesn't mean... (0+ / 0-)

that it wasn't the question that everyone was actually wondering.  The Sen hearing was more focused on the authorization for a strike and not the inevitability of it so it didn't get asked.  Moreover, reporters are sometimes told to ask certain questions as a way to do them a favor (give a scoop) while advancing the political goal.  If she wasn't directed this way then Kerry was planning to put it out in some other manner.

by rainmanjr on Fri Sep 13, 2013 at 02:21:24 PM PDT

•  No story because no vote but (0+ / 0-)

it was only sent to Congress to give Putin a little more time to cave in.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 05:53:56 AM PDT