View Diary: I don't think the words in Thessalonians 3:10 mean what you think they mean (125 comments)

•  I (25+ / 0-)

don't really understand the Bible, just thought his would be a good crowd-source project and it is, I have learned some of what I wanted to learn.

It's not goin on the fp, it's just for us hardcore regs :)

•  We had to study the Bible (25+ / 0-)

in high school,and to be honest, I still don't get it. The more we read the more confused I got. Its just a pile of stories that in some cases contradict each other.

Good job, though.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Sat Sep 21, 2013 at 04:44:07 PM PDT

•  Sounds like you "got it" pretty well (25+ / 0-)
        a pile of stories that in some cases contradict each other.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sat Sep 21, 2013 at 04:54:09 PM PDT

•  It's not a book (28+ / 0-)

it's an anthology.  Trying to reconcile all the stories will only make you crazy, because they weren't handed down to be reconciled with one another.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Sat Sep 21, 2013 at 05:08:10 PM PDT

•  You and Catte Nappe nailed it. (4+ / 0-)

Put another way, the bible is a collection of tribal stories passed down orally to perpetuate the "tribal lore", especially to the young.

Like other oral traditions, including Aesop's fables and the Brothers Grimm, and many non-European myths and legends, they were intended to bring people to common cause for higher purposes and indoctrinate the young.

As you say, they are not a unified doctrine, no matter how the Southern Baptists or other inerrantists my proclaim.

(That sound you are hearing is a paradigm being shifted at Warp Factor Infinity using no clutch.)

by homogenius on Sat Sep 21, 2013 at 09:41:39 PM PDT

•  Bronze Age people, trying to put some semblance (1+ / 0-)
            marykk

of order and logic to the natural world around them and all the irregularity and random, unfortunate events.

Heck, some of their tales were passed down from previous generations so perhaps pre-Bronze Age tales from around the tribal fires.

So, yeah.  Teh Bible is a clustermess.   :o)

As of 9pm 8/30/13: RETIRED Pie Warrior. Substance over Sh*t Flinging (as best as I am able) ~ JV

by JVolvo on Sun Sep 22, 2013 at 08:32:41 AM PDT

•  You said it so much better than I (0+ / 0-)

but many of the stories still have value.  One of my personal favorites:

2 Kings 5
            New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
            The Healing of Naaman

5 Naaman, commander of the army of the king of Aram, was a great man and in high favor with his master, because by him the Lord had given victory to Aram. The man, though a mighty warrior, suffered from leprosy.[a] 2 Now the Arameans on one of their raids had taken a young girl captive from the land of Israel, and she served Naaman’s wife. 3 She said to her mistress, “If only my lord were with the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy.”[b] 4 So Naaman[c] went in and told his lord just what the girl from the land of Israel had said. 5 And the king of Aram said, “Go then, and I will send along a letter to the king of Israel.”

He went, taking with him ten talents of silver, six thousand shekels of gold, and ten sets of garments. 6 He brought the letter to the king of Israel, which read, “When this letter reaches you, know that I have sent to you my servant Naaman, that you may cure him of his leprosy.”[d] 7 When the king of Israel read the letter, he tore his clothes and said, “Am I God, to give death or life, that this man sends word to me to cure a man of his leprosy?[e] Just look and see how he is trying to pick a quarrel with me.”

8 But when Elisha the man of God heard that the king of Israel had torn his clothes, he sent a message to the king, “Why have you torn your clothes? Let him come to me, that he may learn that there is a prophet in Israel.” 9 So Naaman came with his horses and chariots, and halted at the entrance of Elisha’s house. 10 Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, “Go, wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored and you shall be clean.” 11 But Naaman became angry and went away, saying, “I thought that for me he would surely come out, and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, and would wave his hand over the spot, and cure the leprosy![f] 12 Are not Abana[g] and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them, and be clean?” He turned and went away in a rage. 13 But his servants approached and said to him, “Father, if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it? How much more, when all he said to you was, ‘Wash, and be clean’?” 14 So he went down and immersed himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God; his flesh was restored like the flesh of a young boy, and he was clean.

15 Then he returned to the man of God, he and all his company; he came and stood before him and said, “Now I know that there is no God in all the earth except in Israel; please accept a present from your servant.” 16 But he said, “As the Lord lives, whom I serve, I will accept nothing!” He urged him to accept, but he refused. 17 Then Naaman said, “If not, please let two mule-loads of earth be given to your servant; for your servant will no longer offer burnt offering or sacrifice to any god except the Lord. 18 But may the Lord pardon your servant on one count: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, leaning on my arm, and I bow down in the house of Rimmon, when I do bow down in the house of Rimmon, may the Lord pardon your servant on this one count.” 19 He said to him, “Go in peace.”

Gehazi’s Greed

But when Naaman had gone from him a short distance, 20 Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, thought, “My master has let that Aramean Naaman off too lightly by not accepting from him what he offered. As the Lord lives, I will run after him and get something out of him.” 21 So Gehazi went after Naaman. When Naaman saw someone running after him, he jumped down from the chariot to meet him and said, “Is everything all right?” 22 He replied, “Yes, but my master has sent me to say, ‘Two members of a company of prophets[h] have just come to me from the hill country of Ephraim; please give them a talent of silver and two changes of clothing.’” 23 Naaman said, “Please accept two talents.” He urged him, and tied up two talents of silver in two bags, with two changes of clothing, and gave them to two of his servants, who carried them in front of Gehazi.[i] 24 When he came to the citadel, he took the bags[j] from them, and stored them inside; he dismissed the men, and they left.

25 He went in and stood before his master; and Elisha said to him, “Where have you been, Gehazi?” He answered, “Your servant has not gone anywhere at all.” 26 But he said to him, “Did I not go with you in spirit when someone left his chariot to meet you? Is this a time to accept money and to accept clothing, olive orchards and vineyards, sheep and oxen, and male and female slaves? 27 Therefore the leprosy[k] of Naaman shall cling to you, and to your descendants forever.” So he left his presence leprous,[l] as white as snow.

My take?

1) No matter how rich and powerful you are, disease is more powerful;

2) People will give up everything they have in an effort to get better;

3) Sometimes the solution is right in front of you, but it's hard to accept; and

4) Cheating people out of healthcare leads to some seriously bad karma.

Or something like that.

by marykk on Sun Sep 22, 2013 at 09:57:46 AM PDT

•  I've come to see it in a quite simple manner (7+ / 0-)
        RUNDOWN, sny, Smoh, OhioNatureMom, Sylv, JVolvo, marykk

It's not the Word of God, but an account of men attempting "to justifie the wayes of God to men".

When read this way, I've found it quite fascinating. And I feel sad for those who are hung up reading it only as some kind of encoded message that confirms their own biasses & hatreds. Assuming I'm not doing the same thing, of course.

•  I thank you for your wonderful Diary. (0+ / 0-)

I assume that you had no intention of attracting and turning loose every Christian bashing moron with nothing better to do on Saturday night than to dish up some shallow insults about a faith they don't understand, and don't care to.

And now, as a Christian, I am going to excuse myself because the smell of shit is overwhelming, and I am only 6 comments down the string. No need to climb further into the sewer to see where this leads.

Thank you for trying DARKSYDE. I had hopes for some decent conversation tonight.

Be well.

•  Once again we see the application of skepticism (0+ / 0-)

and knowledge to the claims of a religion being labeled as "Christian bashing".    Do you even have any idea how most atheists came to be?  They were religious, many even strongly believing their former faiths. IN FACt I think most atheists understand Christianity better than most Christians do.

The use of the terms "moron" and "sewer" are perfect examples of another reason why people leave religion.  Thanks for providing us with another great example of "Christian" morality.

•   The quote below isn't Christian bashing? (0+ / 0-)
          Church people sicken me.
          Do you really want me to go down through the threads and pull up other equally intelligent quotes from these threads that prove my point? When a Daily Kos diary starts churning up comments like that one, and sweeping generalizations such as no Christian people question anything.  The comments section tends to become a bottomless pit of crap. I don't care if the topic of the diary is Christianity, gun control or cat diaries, it's gonna get smelly.

If my comments could make people leave there religion, then their religion was not worth keeping and their faith was pathetic.

They must have been the same people that have been saying  that gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriages all over the world.  As if who someone does in another state can alter a union made before God.  Ludicrous.

•  folks?! (1+ / 0-)
      OhioNatureMom

Hell NO!! -- it's only Republicans! - call the scumbags by their name.

You may have heard of folks in Congress parroting the words, "He who will not work shall not eat,"

"Tax cuts for the 1% create jobs." -- Republicans, HAHAHA - in China