View Diary: Contaminated Food Kills 33 Americans, Farmers Arrested, Monsanto And GMOs Involved? (27 comments)

•  Hmmmm.....food poisoning exist, so giving a fuck (15+ / 0-)

about GMO crops (whether your issue is gene patenting, monopoly, a lack of regulatory oversight, or concerns about consuming BT Toxin) = "anti-vax".

Seems legit.

"But the traitors will pretend / that it's gettin' near the end / when it's beginning" P. Ochs

by JesseCW on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 05:18:19 PM PDT

•  Conflating A Dozen Issues To Gain Legitimacy (4+ / 0-)

For instance, "saving the family farm" has been used by countless groups to advance their own agendas. Heck, even Hitler promised to save the family farm.

You know what group really attaches themselves to any cause?  The Lyndon LaRouche people.  I have no idea what they believe in, but they are there piggybacking on anything they can. Somehow just about anything becomes part of their agenda.

Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness. -Pascal

by bernardpliers on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 05:32:40 PM PDT

•  irony: talk about conflating (6+ / 0-)

Contaminated food and GMO concerns are entirely separate issues.  AFAIK no one concerned about GMOs has suggested taking from already inadequate food safety inspection budgets.

•  The Next Back-Of-The-Napkin Ballot Initiative (1+ / 0-)
          alain2112

really ought to spell that out, assuming someone is willing to spend more than 30 seconds writing it.  Because otherwise the point of the lack of specificity seems to be to create a sort of mass Rorschach test where people are free to conflate it with whatever they want.

by bernardpliers on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 07:18:05 PM PDT

•  Nobody Except the Owners of Our System (1+ / 0-)
          JesseCW

which have us on a steadily shrinking pie of cutting taxes and business tax & regulatory breaks.

by Gooserock on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 07:25:13 PM PDT

•  This game, where you either claim those (0+ / 0-)

who call you on your shit are LaRouche freaks, or insinuate that they are LaRouche freaks, is fucking pathetic.

I mean, the latter form of it is fucking chickenshit as well as well as pathetic, but both varieties are fucking pathetic.

by JesseCW on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 12:47:41 AM PDT

•  Or overuse (3+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy, Utahrd, JesseCW

of herbicides and resistant weeds.  I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

"In short, I was a racketeer for Capitalism" Marine Corp Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler

by Kevskos on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 06:10:56 PM PDT

•  NO gmo crops! (0+ / 0-)

Very important for young people not to eat them.

IMO, I would only drink organic milk (pasteurized of course, never raw) and eat organic meats and vegetables. Organic milk is practically, just as cheap as non-organic. Worth $1 more a gallon.

I'm sixty-three. Too late for me and probably doesn't matter at my age. But very important for the young people.

I have a new diary. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

ie

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 07:08:14 PM PDT

•  Organic milk (3+ / 0-)
        skohayes, the fan man, rebel ga

is one of the cruellest aspects of farming.  And I say this as an all-natural, pasture raised and fed sheep dairy.

If an organic dairy cow gets sick, the owner just leaves it with no treatment.  Because if it gets treated it can never ever be used for milking again and must be sold for cheap meat, or to another dairy at cents on the dollar.

So the ranchers lets the animal to see whether it lives or dies.

•  sick cows (1+ / 0-)
          rebel ga

I farmed, my ancestors farmed for generations, and I know dozens of farmers.  I do not know of any farmer who would not take care of a sick animal-whether it is profitable or not.  Please do not overgeneralize.

•  Or Sell Them (0+ / 0-)

People who move to the country and buy animals learn that getting sold several sick animals is a rite of passage and it's just taken for granted.

There's a sort of mythology that farmers are all gentle and honest but need the wise guidance of urban activists, when many are actually crafty and dishonest.

by bernardpliers on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 07:34:27 AM PDT

•  Thanks Catesby, I didn't know that. (0+ / 0-)

I drink regular milk 2 per cent. But I've heard of all the hormones in milk and beef, etc.

by rebel ga on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 05:43:51 AM PDT

•  It's about as close to anti-vax nonsense as we (0+ / 0-)

get on the "science vs woo" spectrum when it comes to GMO health claims. In a war, truth is a precious commodity and both sides see this as a war.

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. -Martin Luther

by the fan man on Mon Sep 30, 2013 at 05:33:52 AM PDT