View Diary: Speed and Beauty: A Ballet in the Skies of France (68 comments)

•  The Lightning had Allisons (9+ / 0-)

I don't think they ever even tried to fit Merlins in one.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 09:41:09 PM PDT

•  You are right (4+ / 0-)
      RiveroftheWest, markdd, ER Doc, KenBee

I must have been thinking of the P-51 that started out with Allison engines then switched to Merlins. V-12 Allison, just under 2,000 hp IIRC.

Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength. - Eric Hoffer

by Otteray Scribe on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 10:07:53 PM PDT

•  We got a private airshow from a P-47 (4+ / 0-)

a few years back.  I think it was actually part of Flying Heritage's flying Saturday.  He was 4-5 miles east of Paine field practicing rolls and lazy 8's, mostly over our back yard (OK and several others) .  Very cool and the roar of that old radial engine was pure music.

“that our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

by markdd on Wed Oct 02, 2013 at 11:22:16 PM PDT

•  rAmen. I used to live a mile from the second (5+ / 0-)

Confederate Air Force field (HRL) and it was cool with just regular ops, but the runups to the yearly AIRSHO's had a lot of practice time in the week or two before, awesome.
          My bosses were partners in one of the FBO's there, and we all were CAF. My kids luvved it.
          I also once lived a few miles from the CAF's first field which is ten miles west of HRL.
          I should dig up some old photos and scan them and post.

We’re Ready, Wendy’s Ready! WTF Are We Waiting For? Bring ‘em on! The revolution has begun! Come and take it!

by Bluefin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 09:06:47 AM PDT

•  I forgot to put this: The Lefty Gardner P-38 was (3+ / 0-)

first based at Rebel Field, the CAF's first field, located between Mercedes and La Feria, TX. I was pretty young then though.

After a lot of nasty local city politics the CAF moved its HQ to Midland, TX in 1991. The then mayor (Card) saw the CAF as a drag on his visions of a grand regional airport (another bunch of Repub's not too proud to take any federal money they can get their hands on).

The CAF AIRSHO is the largest warbird airshow in the world, with more than 80 warbirds flying per show.
            The P-38 is the same one owned by Lefty Gardner who bought it after WW2 for little more than scrap price.

by Bluefin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 09:33:33 AM PDT

•  You are correct...NO Merlins..... (5+ / 0-)

.....although I STILL maintain that the ultimate P-38 would have had a pair of contra-rotating R/R Griffons (rather like a Shackleton)!

Now that thing would have MOVED..................

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'