View Diary: SAVING Texas to Avoid a 2010: It's a Win, Win, Win. (UPDATEx2) (248 comments)

•  Sounds like Fred Astaire talking to Ginger Rogers. (2+ / 0-)
    bastrop, commonmass

Now SELL IT!!!

Only gun owners can control their guns and they say oopsie way too much. I lost it, I forgot it, it just went off. Support Gun Kill Speed Limits and Gun Ownership Speed Limits.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 11:30:55 AM PDT

•  That's funny, but the thing about Texas (3+ / 0-)
      88kathy, bastrop, martini

is that people need to be either convinced or kept ignorant. You either sell it or you undermine it.

Texans of all stripes like to know what they have in it. Some people think they should keep the business to themselves. They kind of try to find ways to avoid paying fair wages and offering health insurance. Other Texans actually try to sell the possibility of Texas. Bastrop would be better about telling you about the part of the history that "sells" it. Rick Perry could tell you about how to create peons for fun and profit.

The "Shot heard 'round the world" is now known as the "Pinochet Ricochet". --commonmass

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 11:56:06 AM PDT

•  'Kind of try' ? Like luring good hearted, hard (1+ / 0-)
        bastrop

working immigrants to jobs and then stealing wages and calling them undocumented.

Everyone in Texas has an undocumented person in their house from whom they steal wages.

_____

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:01:02 PM PDT

•  Let me tell you a story, Kathy. (4+ / 0-)

Every Freemason is secretly plotting against the Federal Government--even though George Washington himself was one.

I'm going to call BS here. That's NOT true, and by the way, any US Citizen who wants to roof houses in August in Texas is welcome to apply for that job.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:06:25 PM PDT

•  I had a friend who said her son could not get a (2+ / 0-)
            bastrop, commonmass

job at the meat packing plant in Kansas because they only hired 'illegals'. It took me a few years to figure out why.

Yes OF COURSE. They can't steal from American born workers. So why wouldn't they prefer undocumented.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:32:18 PM PDT

•  I have been on a roof in August. In fact, (1+ / 0-)
              martini

just this August. It was my father's. In Massachusetts. I did it for love, not pay.

I would have never done it for pay. I would rather have starved.

No one is stealing jobs from anyone. Sadly, there is no longer any dignity (overtime, a full 40 hours, health benefits, pension) in work. What American would do that job? Sadly, many, and my own grandfather and many of his generation fought for that. In his case, in the Unions, because he didn't go to The War.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:48:57 PM PDT

•  But they won't get benefits, health or (3+ / 0-)
          88kathy, bastrop, Lilredhead

workman's comp.

Sometimes, I have to ask myself, if Texas really ever got over Slavery?

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:10:46 PM PDT

•  I think the whole 'undocumented' scam is just (2+ / 0-)
            bastrop, commonmass

slavery in another coat.

They delight in separating families just like the olden slavers.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:33:22 PM PDT

•  I agree completely; However, (3+ / 0-)
              88kathy, bastrop, tom 47

there are many Texan who abhor this. My brother is one, and I am another, and I refuse to remain powerless in the face of a generally faceless man with a whip.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:44:51 PM PDT

•  I'm gonna say most. (1+ / 0-)
                bastrop

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 12:52:18 PM PDT

•  I'm going to say you have a generally (4+ / 0-)
                  martini, jayden, Freakinout daily, tom 47

negative view about change in Texas, based on what I have read, and a generally negative charge.

I believe in the Texas of LBJ, and the Texas of Ann Richards, and the Texas of Barbara Jordan, and the Texas of Lloyd Bentsen, and the Texas of Ann Richards, and the Texas of Jim Hightower, and the Texas that has a flagship radio station of Pacifica Radio, and the Texas that had the first Public Television station in the country (of course, LBJ owned it), and the Texas of progressive education, and the Texas of decent people.

I believe, with that kind of background, and with a little activism, Texas can again become the progressive frontier state it ran away from for generations, became, and is running away from now.

I guess I'm still an optimist. I also believe in Texas. Just like I believe in Maine (my residence and what I call the "Texas of New England) and my native Massachusetts.

I believe that progress, in the long run, always wins. Bastrop, put the preceding sentence on my stone some day.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 01:00:19 PM PDT

•  Keep it civil, please. (1+ / 0-)
                    commonmass
                    •  I did not see that as uncivil. (1+ / 0-)
                      88kathy

I said there was a lot of negativity and lack of forward looking. If you find that bit of Southern Progressiveness as less than civil, well, that was not my point, and I apologize.

I frankly thought that what I wrote was highly civil, and in great praise or our heritage, backgrounds, and a state which I love. And you can put it all on my stone.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 01:30:55 PM PDT

•  Poetry worthy of a diary, itself: (3+ / 0-)
                    commonmass, 88kathy, tom 47

Reads like a sermon, delivered in that powerful kind of moving-passionate voice...  Add a little Wendy Davis in there, and it sings into the future, too.
                    •  It does. I'm a man of the Church. (3+ / 0-)
                      88kathy, tom 47, martini

The Episcopal one. Which is why if I preached that sermon, I'd break it down, make my case, and do it in context and that means tell you where I might have a weak case. But preach it I would.

I may be from Massachusetts, but you can see that my formation as a Democrat was in Texas. I'm damned proud of it.

by commonmass on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 01:56:28 PM PDT

•  I didn't say that right because you aren't even (1+ / 0-)
                    commonmass

close.

I was trying to say that I definitely have 'round heels' when it comes to a long tall Texans. And I think most are in my 'like' category. I don't know how the losers even got where they are, they are just a bunch of Chuck Line Riders and they better Fixin' for High Riding out of elected offices.

by 88kathy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 02:26:11 PM PDT