View Diary: Republicans losing today isn't enough. Let's punish them at ballot box (159 comments)

•  But we have to vote to get them out of power. (16+ / 0-)

Is there anyone on this site other than kos who is actually enthusiastic about 2014? I mean we all know that if the TP is going down they are going to make everyone pay. Instead of seeing today as a victory I'm reading nothing but sad sack negativity.

Dems showed spine finally at a critical moment and a lot of kossacks are like "meh".

I don't get it.

If I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I'd have stuck my ---- in the mashed potatoes! - Paul's Boutique

by DoctorWho on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:03:41 AM PDT

•  I'm not like “meh.” (4+ / 0-)

And I tend toward the cynical.

For what it's worth …

Code Monkey like freedom / Code Monkey like peace and justice too
      Code Monkey very nerdy man / With big warm fuzzy bleeding heart
      Code Monkey like you!

Formerly known as Jyrinx.

by Code Monkey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:07:01 AM PDT

•  I'm not like "meh" either BUT ... (1+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean

it would be nice if the elected Democrats could rev up the base too:

Our problem has been that our base groups are the worst performing voters—young voters, single women, people of color. Thus, while those voters may turn out in presidential years, it is extremely difficult to get them to turn out at any other time.

Goal ThermometerThat is, unless Republicans rev them up.

Maybe a little fighting for laws and services that the base needs?

Il est dangereux d’avoir raison dans des choses où des hommes accrédités ont tort. - Voltaire
        Don't trust anyone over 84414 - BentLiberal

by BentLiberal on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:03:37 PM PDT

•  Seems mixed to me (8+ / 0-)

I haven't even cared to read much on my formerly favorite political playground with all the "meh" that has been going on here for a few years.  I'm not surprised folks in that mode are stuck in that mode.  But I also see some unbridled celebration over all of this.  I think neither reaction is really to the point.  Markos is exactly right to start turning attention to any races we can win.  The bad blood gopers have created with a lot of voters is a potential tool for 2014.  It's not an unequivocal win unless we use it to win.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

by Sun dog on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:09:02 AM PDT

•  I just heard Carney say that EVERYTHING is on the (16+ / 0-)

table in the budget discussions.  I assume that means entitlements.

Andrea Mitchell is already talking entitlement reform this very minute.

Don't tell me we've won anything if all we've done is defeated Cruz and elevate Simpson Bowles.

•  Schumer can go to (10+ / 0-)

HELL.

He just said that entitlement cuts are on the table.

So we fought this bullshit battle only for these BENEDICT ARNOLDS to turn around even before this deal is passed and OFFER to CUT ENTITLEMENTS?

And you want me to be enthused about 2014?

Oh, no, I get even.  I vote out of spite.  They will pay if they screw me.

This is not a game.   They may think they won their showdown at the OK Corral but if they've done that only to throw grandma under the bus ARGHHHHHHH!!!

•  Tbere is no calming down for this (7+ / 0-)

Schumer needs, seriously, to STFU, NOW. And so does Pelosi and whoever else is mouthing the lines for austerity.

Well, unless they don't want to win next year. WTF is wrong with this picture? What price did Dems just pay, that they're mouthing all this backstabbing bullshit for Andrea Mitchell? I'm with Greenbell, they haven't even gotten a final vote on The Deal we're all jumping for joy over, and they're back to stroking Simpson-Bowles? Uh, how about NO?

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:49:40 AM PDT

•  Yes. There is and anyway (8+ / 0-)

I'm sick of thread hijackers screaming the sky is falling.  Start your own thread for this.

We are about trying to elect more Democrats to neutralize this situation.

•  I'm all for it and this IS RELEVANT (6+ / 0-)

because if you start seeing Dem leadership sucking up to austerity again, we are not going to get the turnout we need.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:54:45 AM PDT

•  Fine. Go write your own blog about it then. (2+ / 0-)
                  jan4insight, Tim D M
                  •  Fine? (4+ / 0-)
                    Dburn, greenbell, JVolvo, Calamity Jean

When it's relevant, all you got is Fine, Go Write Your Own Blog?

I thought you wanted to elect more Dems?

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 11:22:43 AM PDT

•  Yes I do, but I can do without (0+ / 0-)

the sky is falling on SS group in this diary.

•  Well it's (2+ / 0-)
                        greenbell, JVolvo

a good thing it isn't all about you!  You're entitled to your opinion that it's all "the sky is falling" to note that the leadership is opening their mouth on this shit at a really bad time, and I'm entitled to tell you that in my opinion, you're dead wrong.

These austerians seriously need to shut the fuck up so we can WIN. What are you doing to help shut them up? I'd like to elect more and better Democrats, too, but when these mealy-mouthed platitudes supporting austerity getting in the way, coming from a guy in a position that Chuck Schumer is in, I'm having a real hard time seeing how that's done.

I am tired--damned sick and TIRED--of fighting this ridiculous, unnecessary uphill battle against someone who is supposed to be on my side.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 11:34:00 AM PDT

•  Keep it all "Light and Airy" (2+ / 0-)
                        lunachickie, JVolvo

Absolutely nothing can go wrong now. Isn't that right SM?

“ Success has a great tendency to conceal and throw a veil over the evil of men. ” — Demosthenes

by Dburn on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 11:36:21 AM PDT

•  Seriously (4+ / 0-)
                          Dburn, greenbell, JVolvo, Calamity Jean

it's not even like this diary is all light and airy. Kos is fired up.

I'm taking that and running with it, with one serious caveat--the austerity talk is unacceptable, and it most assuredly needs to stop coming from Democratic leaders if we are to stay ahead of everything we've gained these last few weeks and take this momentum into the mid-terms.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 11:46:47 AM PDT

•  I understand and agree (2+ / 0-)
                            lunachickie, JVolvo

You know what I'm really concerned about is the assumption that this thing is over. I can't find one place that shows the Boehner has the votes , even with the Dems.

Recall last time 7 Dems voted against a key bill for this shutdown .

I also recall Eric Cantor being designated as the sole "decider" of what bill goes to the floor.

I haven't heard anyone address that. Maybe someone has but until I see it , I'm not that quick to call this thing over with.

Right now ever single blue dog democrat and GOP member is getting calls from the Tea party.

Until we see everyone signing off on it, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to start the dance. Right now people are reading the responses from here and other places:  "throw them an anchor, kill the repubs". It's a simple matter to print them and send them to the GOP list server.

You know what would happen if the vote failed in the house? Pure hell.

by Dburn on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 12:11:29 PM PDT

•  Something (3+ / 0-)
                            JVolvo, Dburn, Calamity Jean

I'm not even letting myself think about.

Do you know what would happen if the vote failed in the house?

Of course, it might explain, even in a roundabout way, a lot of certain parties' lip service on MSNBC with Mrs. Greenspan today.  I hope for everyone's sake that's all it was, was lip service.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 12:17:51 PM PDT

•  Don't harsh the "TeaParty and RePugs DESTROYED!1" (0+ / 0-)

buzz the faithful have going here luna.

The victory has been proclaimed.  2014 is won.

Chill, Team Blue's got this.

As of 9pm 8/30/13: RETIRED Pie Warrior. Substance over Sh*t Flinging (as best as I am able) ~ JV

by JVolvo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:08:09 PM PDT

•  Why not? (2+ / 0-)
                        JVolvo, Calamity Jean

The faithful's Party Leadership harshed mine when they chose to start sucking up to austerity. Again.

Team Blue doesn't Have This unless the Grand Bargain talk stops and said Bargain legislation--or anything resembling it--dies and stays dead. Under that name or any other.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:23:55 PM PDT

•  The POINT is this victory shouldn't be a (2+ / 0-)
            greenbell, Calamity Jean

springboard for high-visibility Dems to immediately talk about Entitlement Reform.  Any fucking time, actually, much less the day of the victory over TeaBagger hostage takers, for fuck's sake.

Can establishment Dems let a win be a win for a day before moving forward on bipartisan, deficit-scold crap?

New Simpson-Bowles ad

The Campaign to Fix the Debt, the $40 million dollar astroturf “supergroup” that CMD exposed on the cover of the Nation magazine, has shifted into high gear in an effort to leverage the debt ceiling crisis into cuts to Social Security and Medicare.

Today (Oct 14 ~ JVolvo), the group launched a six figure TV ad buy that reaches new heights of hypocrisy -- and that is saying a lot

Former U.S. Senator Alan Simpson and Morgan Stanley board member Erskine Bowles have long been spokespersons for Fix the Debt. The "folksy" Simpson: "For cryin' out loud, Erskine, who isn't fed up with what's goin' on in Washington?" The Bowles tsk tsk: “These politicians are playing games jerking our country around from crisis to crisis.”

Winning, duh.

by JVolvo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:00:56 PM PDT

•  Pelosi can follow him (4+ / 0-)

Now, Nancy seems to think grandma can be used as a bargaining chip just as long as she gets revenue for whatever, who knows, NSA? Defense?

Wow!!! They've got a PARADE of Democrats offering to cut entitlements.  One can only shudder, shiver and quail in terror to think what's been said behind the scenes given how Democrats can't get on MSNBC fast enough to keep telling us over and over and over again how much they want to cut entitlements and this is BEFORE they've even got the deal signed.

And you want me to send money and help?

I am not that crazy.  No money or votes for betrayal.

•  Today's parade: part of deal w/M. McConnell (1+ / 0-)
            adirtywar

Today's Dem comments on "entitlements" were probably promised to McConnell as a side agreement to the deal.

What matters more is how Dems negotiate as the next deadlines start looming. Progressives need to pressure Dems on this issue during the coming months.

Ryan looking like such an ass during the shutdown negotiations may have a positive influence on Progressives ability to push back the "entitlement reforms" that he is closely identified with.

An even stronger message would be sent by strong Progressive candidates, including in a few primaries against Dem incumbents.

•  If Dems are to get fired up for 2014 (7+ / 0-)

then Schumer and company need to back off the Simpson Bowles talking points, unless we are determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dems will not turn out if their own starts sticking knives in the New Deal between now and next November.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:44:44 AM PDT

•  Simpson Bowles arise from the grave: (1+ / 0-)
            greenbell

New ad from Monday Oct 14

Today, the group launched a six figure TV ad buy that reaches new heights of hypocrisy -- and that is saying a lot.

by JVolvo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:10:32 PM PDT

•  And why are you listening to (3+ / 0-)
        hardart, jan4insight, adirtywar

that troublemaking Andrea Mitchell again???  Calm down.

•  Because she's a meme pusher (3+ / 0-)
          Randomfactor, JVolvo, Calamity Jean

and a fucking bomb thrower and plenty of people tune her sorry Mrs. Greenspan ass in every afternoon, that's why.

This sends a message about austerity right now from the Democratic leadership--a message that isn't the least bit necessary unless rank and file dems are thinking about trying to undermine Simpson Bowles somehow.

You think Mitchell just pulled this group out of a vacuum and are talking about this shit today for the hell of it? Like there's nothing else to talk about?

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:53:07 AM PDT

•  The next 4 months will be an endless loop of (4+ / 0-)

the last 4 weeks. I'm fairly enthusiastic about that.

________

Only gun owners can control their guns and they say oopsie way too much. I lost it, I forgot it, it just went off. Support Gun Kill Speed Limits and Gun Ownership Speed Limits.

by 88kathy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 10:25:39 AM PDT

•  Mmmm and where do you get that. (0+ / 0-)

That's what losing means. They lost. No, they can't keep doing this over and over. Lindsay said they it, "they screwed up." The polls were devastating. Didn't listen to anything the GOP has been saying internally? The polls were the worst they've ever had. This was a huge failure.

Just repeat to yourself: we won and it's okay.

by DoctorWho on Wed Oct 16, 2013 at 01:01:53 PM PDT

•  Objective 2014 enthusiasm from Dr Sam Wang (1+ / 0-)
      Calamity Jean

Professor Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium has some excellent analyses of Democratic prospects in 2014. Granted, a lot could happen between now and then, but here is his take on the polls and the gerrymandering effect.