View Diary: Murdoch & Fox News Engaged In Sockpuppet PR Campaign To Counter Bloggers (295 comments)

•  Youre correct about that (3+ / 0-)
    Moravan, Ray Pensador, kharma

I just wish the diary had been more about what FOX is doing, and what potential laws it could break if it involved smears, hate speech, etc or political stories. especially with all the anonimity they involved. It is going to be interesting to see what else comes out in that book.

"These are established professionals that have a liberal bent, but ultimately most of them if pushed will choose professional preservation over cause, such is the mentality of most business professionals" -BoA/HBGary/CoC

by LieparDestin on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:15:37 PM PDT

•  Getting a bit of whiplash here, (2+ / 0-)
      duhban, Moravan

Wasn't it you who made the diary about GG?

The media matters post had no mention of GG.

GG diaries always descend into pie fights, so this just starts up another round of accusations of sockpuppetry against fellow Kossacks.

Being accused of being a sockpuppet merely for not agreeing that GG walks on water is just annoying.

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:28:49 PM PDT

•  Its my fault I realize (5+ / 0-)

I used the GG example of the method big business use when thydo kind of this. Create sock puppets to discredit all across the web. This appears to be the same methods FOX used. Walmart and many other corps do the same, but its rare for them to be outed, and thats mainly what this diary was about... the fox outing. I understand the confusions however.

by LieparDestin on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:34:20 PM PDT

•  There was one (2+ / 0-)
          duhban, Free Jazz at High Noon

just one person here who was outed as having a sockpuppet in the GG diaires.

Frankly, he was so bad at it that if he was paid then the people who paid him are complete numbnuts.

He was so bad it could almost be surmised he was actually rabble rousing for the opposite side of the argument.

by AnnetteK on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 05:37:48 PM PDT

•  He HAD a sockpuppet (allegedly), as you (1+ / 0-)
            AnnetteK

rightly point out. But that's a far cry from acting as as a mole or disruptor troll. People above are citing this example as evidence of the diary's claim. It's not.

(I know you know, Annette...dropping this comment here bc, while I felt it should be said, I didn't want to further enflame things above, where it might be more appropriate)

•  Could also be that some of us are a bit (0+ / 0-)

touchy about this. ;)

I appreciate your comments here. And good diary.

•  Why are "some of us" a bit touchy about this? (2+ / 0-)
            Free Jazz at High Noon, kharma

If people disagreed with Greenwald on the merits, or would accept it when their claims are debunked, that would be one thing, but they don't do that.

Instead, people think their personal opinion of the man, based on whatever misinformed impressions they've developed about him,  constitutes valid "disagreement" for which they are being unfairly categorized as being sockpuppets, or some such nonsense.

If my reading is incorrect, can you then clarify what exactly the problem is? I'm honestly trying to understand what the sensitivity is all about.

by DeadHead on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 09:28:40 PM PDT

•  Was mainly just a friendly concession (1+ / 0-)
              LieparDestin

to the diarist.

Your reading is correct here: 'we' are annoyed by insinuations of sockpuppetry and the like. Why? I dunno, perhaps bc when we disagree, people tell us we aren't arguing based on merits, or that we're too dense to accept the 'debunking', or that our complaint is with the man not the message, and that we'd see our error if our impressions were better informed.

•  Also, too (0+ / 0-)

Less snarky answer

Why do we get annoyed? Some of us genuinely believe that the anti-govt rhetoric from GG, Assange, maybe a place like DN at times, has potential to inflict harm on liberal progressive causes. Too late to unpack that thesis now, but I trust you know a site that makes the case.

'Night.

•  I don't blame you for wanting to hit the sack. (2+ / 0-)
                Free Jazz at High Noon, kharma

Because "unpacking your thesis" might require you to provide examples of some of this "anti-government rhetoric" that's somehow "harmful to liberal progressive causes." It would also require you to demonstrate how, if the same rhetoric was directed at a Republican president, it would have a similarly detrimental effect.

by DeadHead on Sun Oct 20, 2013 at 11:39:58 PM PDT

•  I've awoken from my cowardly sleep (0+ / 0-)

I didn't trust my better judgment, and replied to your trollish comment. I thought, hell, he sounds sincere, maybe he wants to behave sincerely, for a change. Well, fool me once...so this will likely be the last time I reply to you.

Your "prove it!" and "cite examples!" schtick is tired, transparently disingenuous, and classic projection, in that you're attacking a comment and belittling its author for a lack of substance. So you bully and deflect to score points. Why? One explanation is because you don't want to address 'on its merits' the not uncommon critique of GG's writing that I reference, and that which I KNOW you're familiar with. Another explanation is that being a dick is in your Kossack nature. Either way, you rarely provide any actual substance, or show the least bit of sincerity in listening to other viewpoints and the examples/evidence for them.

You show an incredible lack of self-awareness DeadHead. That was the point of my first response, in case you missed it, and it would make sense if you had. I can't say if it's by design. But your lack of awareness coupled with your dickish behavior on this site makes it impossible to engage you with any expectation for an honest debate/exchange. So don't anticipate a response from me the next time you offer one of your trademark downthread substance-less jabs.

•  In other words: (0+ / 0-)

You aren't able to respond to my comment without resorting to ad hominem.

What started out as a discussion about Greenwald magically becomes an attack on me, personally.

Typical.

by DeadHead on Mon Oct 21, 2013 at 10:57:41 AM PDT

•  Woahhh! Late reply but I can't let this stand (0+ / 0-)

Let the record show, you misquoted me terribly. Terribly. "Potential to inflict harm" v "[is] harmful". Big difference there, buddy.

Some bullshit right there.  I chose my words carefully. Make sure you treat them with the same regard.

Carry on.

• Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • International (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site