View Diary: "It's cheaper to die," Ky working woman says, if you don't have health insurance.... which NOW (59 comments)

•  My 38 yr old cousin, mother of 2 (17+ / 0-)

just got her first ever check up.

She's works out of her house - a small business owner - she's never had health care due to this.

She's lived a life of aches and pains.  A life of medical debt for her two children.

What did they find on her first check up???

I wish she could have seen a doctor earlier?  Pre-ventative medical care.

Because my cousin just found out she has stage 4 cancer and has less than a few weeks.

Fuck all Rapepublicans.  Fuck all those who see health care as a luxury only the rich deserve.

It's too late.  So many have suffered.  So many are dead from diseases with cures and remedies.

So many are DEAD. Maimed. Scarred.

I can't "celebrate" the happy stories.  I've lost too many people in just a few short years all due to this country's lack of humanity.  We lost my husband's best friend and father of two - because he had just started a new job and figured his aching heart and complete fatigue could wait.  He died of a heart attack.

I know what Terrorism is.  It's allowing your citizens to die and suffer.

To me and mine, Republicans are mass murderers.  Nothing but a cult of killers.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 10:19:00 AM PST

•  Sorry to hear this (5+ / 0-)

There are many stories like this, but when it happens to people you know, it's doubly tragic.

Unfortunately, the ACA will probably be very expensive in the first year, as people who haven't been to a doctor in years go, and many discover hidden issues. In the long run, preventative care should help reduce the too-high percentage of GDP that is going for "health care" (sickness care). And it will reduce the current "bump" when people who've been uninsured qualify for Medicare.

•  Thank you for your kindness (2+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean, Gorette

RugbyMom.

Rugby... almost as cool as Hockey :)  (just kiddin')

You can't put a price or value on being healthy.  Or being able to take care of your loved ones who are sick or disabled.

This country truly is barbaric and assbackwards on the health of it's citizens.

I've always thought it was so disgusting that most working families had to have fundraisers or some pathetic bake sale to pay for their loved ones medical costs.

Preventative care is so cost effective.  To do otherwise is like putting out fires with gasoline.

No matter the costs of the ACA, it's nothing compared to the cost of the loss, the suffering and the forever scarred.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 11:32:48 AM PST

•  {{{Damnit Janet}}} (1+ / 0-)
      Damnit Janet

so, so sorry to hear this.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead -

by FlamingoGrrl on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 02:18:43 PM PST

•  That's so sad. You are right. It is (1+ / 0-)
      Damnit Janet

harsh but true when you see how many it has killed, this lack of decent, regular, what should be normal health care.

I wrote a diary last week calling them monsters, and using the word terrorists. We agree.

Am just so sorry about these people being lost. It is stunning and awful.

"extreme concentration of income is incompatible with real democracy.... the truth is that the whole nature of our society is at stake." Paul Krugman

by Gorette on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 05:40:34 PM PST

•  I'll go read that as soon as I have some time. (0+ / 0-)

I've done the Angry Activist thing -  it wore me down.  I've been trying so hard to lead with love first.  That Peace is always the appropriate response.  I can't be peaceful in the face of such monsters who WANT people to die.  Who WANT people to be sick, to be disabled, to be suffering.

Monsters.  Terrorists.   They truly are RAPEpublicans.  They rape the schools, the earth, our rights, our very health.  The air we breathe....

I've been "scolded" for using such a term - but I think it's so fitting.  Hell, they even support rapists long before they'd support rape victims.

People have died and are still dying due this whole lack of health care.  People are homeless due to medical debt.  People are in crisis and this country is fighting over providing people with a choice and a chance to be healthy....

The more I think on it - the more angrier I get.

Thank you for letting me vent a bit here.  I'm not even close to my Mom's side of the family due to my being a liberal heathen uppity woman ...  but it's just so damn disgusting that all this time this cancer has been living and spreading in her.  If only she had been able to go see somebody sooner.

A fucking check up.... for fucksake.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 09:34:49 PM PST

•  Janet, her experience is indeed tragic (1+ / 0-)
          Gorette

but that happens to those who have gold plated coverage too. My sister always had good coverage but when she went to the doctor for long lasting pain in her back she found out it was cancer eating her spine. It has metastasized from lung cancer but she had had no other symptoms. She too was in stage four and died not too long after.

Insurance, even regular checkups don't detect cancer often until it is too late.

Sorry about your cousin. She is far too young.

I'm asking you to believe. Not in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... *I'm asking you to believe in yours.* Barack Obama

by samddobermann on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 10:54:26 AM PST

•  It might help, as far as focusing on love, (1+ / 0-)
          Damnit Janet

to realize that probably most people on the right are not evil monsters. Most are not, I have to believe, but rather they just do not think about others, they think of their own financial situation and want to preserve all their income, not pay taxes that go to someone else. So they create a cocoon in which they see only that and downplay the needs of others. Do you think that may be true?

I have relatives on the right who go to foreign countries to help poor people get medical care yet would not do that here. They separate these things out somehow.

But the leaders, the Republicans in the know, many of those I do think are evil. They know what the results of their actions will be, they hear the arguments against what they do and they go forward anyhow. These people are in it for what they can personally get out of it --for their egos or their financial benefit.

But I know what you mean. Sometimes we need a time away from it all, but when bad things are happening in govt., it's not easy to look away. I have the same problem.

by Gorette on Thu Nov 07, 2013 at 07:31:58 AM PST

• Media (19)
  • Law (19)
  • Science (16)
  • Politics (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site