View Diary: Here's to the Republicans (89 comments)

•  My first reaction is to say that (31+ / 0-)

it is two different things. McAuliffe is not Christie. And to a large extent that is true. McAuliffe's campaign was never the slam dunk that Christie was the Republicans. So, I mentally compared what the Republicans do in high profile races where they don't really have a chance to win.

I thought of the Ted Kennedy races in MA over the years. Even though the GOP never had a real chance to unseat Kennedy, they used these races as a training ground for candidates for future races. Do the names Mitt Romney and William Weld come to mind?

Speaking of Ted, there was that special election race where the GOP didn't have any chance to win either. And they didn't, barring some Democratic bumbling. But they seriously contested it, and defeated the inept Martha Coakley. (See the film "Conviction" just to see what a pompous ass she is.)

I'm not saying they should have broken the bank to unseat Christie, but the Dems should have at least shown up.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:04:50 AM PST

•  That a "pompous ass" in Boston (2+ / 0-)
      RhodeIslandAspie, Bridge Master

can come from Western Mass (Coakley is from North Adams) tells me she must be pretty damned full of herself.  After all, anyone from Worcester and points west is a second class citizen in the Bay State.

•  Hey, some of my best friends are... (3+ / 0-)
        NYFM, Hockeyray, caryltoo

She went into the race thinking she had it clinched. At least until she actually looked at some polling towards the end.

If I had lived 10 miles to the north or west and had a dog in that fight, I would have voted for Capuano in the primary. He would have fought the race hard and would be the junior senator right now. On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the current occupant of the seat. I'm just sorry that MA has to be subjected to Scott Brown for a while.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:30:21 AM PST

•  I'm from Springfield (5+ / 0-)

so I know the drill and hence my joke above.  But hey the Coakley/Brown thing worked out in the end for us big time with Warren. I constantly think of my mom who passed away in the fall of 2009.  She would have happily voted for Coakley, and enthusiastically for Warren.  And the latest consolation prize is DeBlasio here in NYC.  His wife is a native of Longmeadow (yay!)- apparently one of the first AA families to move there (against a racist WASP brigade that fought them) in the early 60's.

•  Is she a Red Sox fan? (2+ / 0-)
            rubyr, NYFM

That would be cool. Red Sox Nation muscling in on the Big Apple.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:56:12 AM PST

•  ah joke, sorry to misread. (1+ / 0-)
            NYFM

have heard bitterness in exact same words many times.

•  gotta say again, it worked for MA in (1+ / 0-)
            NYFM

isolation. BUT it hurt our country quite a bit. I wish I could recall for sure the exact legislation but Brown stopped Obama's agenda as the 60th Republican vote in the Senate for many months. Some efforts were lost/failed completely and we live in that reality even now. We had a Dem House for part of his term.

I can't tell if Brown's nation wide damage is on the whole worth getting Warren. Depends on how bad his damage was. I love Warren and worked on her campaign and she's been great but I hope it ends up worth it for our country. It seems to have been for MA.

Brown got in because voters for Senate thought more about MA than for our whole country. Myself, I held my nose and voted for Coakley.

•  remember we are still living Brown's legacy (1+ / 0-)
          NYFM

he was tie breaking vote to stop Obama's agenda for many months. We lost momentum and some important legislation because of him that we are touched by even today.

I too am glad though Warren won. Brown did a lot of damage to our country at large. I am surprised Dems don't hate us more for that.

I voted for Capuano. I thought he was provincial but I liked his tenacity. He has his heart in the right place.

•  not to anyone I know (1+ / 0-)
        NYFM

perhaps the leaders and media act that way but I don't experience that attitude in the east from average citizens who you seem to say also participate in giving out this attitude against W. MA.

That's not to say what you interpret or experience from average people is wrong. Our data sets are different. I see the people in the east as a whole, you see eastern MA people who have something to particularly say about Western MA to you of Western MA. I promise you that in Boston many people don't think that way. It is nothing like,say, the NY-Boston rivalry. When I think of W. MA I think "beautiful land". But I went to school in Amherst an have very fond memories of the hiking and apple picking and the rolling hills and little towns and less rushed, friendly people.

•  This is true in state legislative races (22+ / 0-)

all over NC.  There were 23 of 50 state senate seats (16 R, 7 D) that were uncontested by the opposition.  I the state house 50 of 120 seats (24 D, 26 R) were officially uncontested and another R seat may as well have been.  A lot of this has to do with the new-for-2010 and beyond maps that hem Democrats into a small number of highly concentrated districts (which is why despite a statewide advantage of about 1%, Dems surrendered a 3/5 majority in both houses of the legislature).  Until the NCDP is willing to challenge every seat, no matter how hopeless the race may be, they'll continue to get hammered like this.  Because the maps aren't going to change significantly until the Dems retake the General Assembly, and you can't score if you don't shoot the fucking puck.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:25:07 AM PST

•  I'm sitting here wishing I could hit the rec (4+ / 0-)

button over and over again!

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 07:55:15 AM PST

•  But you do have to have someone who will run. (4+ / 0-)
        rubyr, BlackSheep1, Chi, TheDuckManCometh

It's probably not so easy if you are in deep red country. There's always some yahoo that will run to get their name in the paper, but obviously, you want real candidates who won't embarrass the party. My hope is that the recent self-inflicted wounds to the Republican brand continue to bleed enough to encourage some good candidates to come forward in time for 2014. Not much time left, so I hope we have a flood of candidates plunging in.

Just another underemployed IT professional computer geek.

by RhodeIslandAspie on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 08:01:28 AM PST

•  That is a significant consideration... (0+ / 0-)

And believe me, there are some districts that are so very, very red they're damn near purple.  But one of those uncontested districts was Thom Tillis' district in Mecklenberg County (Charlotte).  I refuse to believe that the NCDP couldn't find a single credible Democrat to challenge the ALEC Poster Boy.  You might have trouble finding qualified candidates in places like Pender or Duplin or Bladen or Caldwell, but there's no excuse to leave a seat in Mecklenberg or Wake unchallenged.

by mojo11 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 at 11:02:29 AM PST

• Texas (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • 2016 (18)
  • Environment (18)
  • Media (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site