View Diary: It's time we admit this goes deeper than "Website Trouble" (61 comments)

•  Well, is it this from the diary: (16+ / 0-)
    My consulting work is precisely in web development and systems integration. I can code in a pile of languages, going all the way back to FORTH and K&R (before ANSI) C on various RTOSes.
    Or this from a comment from January 2013?:
    I'm a professional sociologist in an academic setting.

Rand Paul is to civil liberties as the Disney Channel is to subtle and nuanced acting.

by Tortmaster on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 03:52:23 AM PST

•  Oops, good catch, (8+ / 0-)

Also, the person you're commenting to is a dead threader who makes this sort of remark....

[new]  This is news? (0+ / 0-)

TIME Magazine has been sucking up to the Democrats for years. That's why I stopped reading it.

by CarlosSoriano on Tue Oct 08, 2013 at 07:47:00 PM IST

So, um..............

Ron Reagan: "Sarah Palin's constituency are people who wear red rubber noses and bells on their shoes."

by AnnetteK on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:00:22 AM PST

•  A man of many talents... (8+ / 0-)

I'm sure he'll be a lawyer or judge in AdamB's next diary.

(nice find! pretty much puts anything he says into question including the 'story' behind this diary).

Maybe hes a novelist... :p

The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function [Albert A. Bartlett]

by fToRrEeEsSt on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 04:03:19 AM PST

•  Check my comment below. (1+ / 0-)
        samddobermann

Enough to cause people to want to stop commenting on DKos for fear of having to choose between keeping job(s) and being called a liar.

-9.63, 0.00
        "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 05:27:24 AM PST

•  I suppose there's an easy explanation for ... (5+ / 0-)

... this in your diary:

Let me start by saying that I voted for Obama twice. I have a bumper sticker on my car that says "I <3 Obamacare" that has caused a certain amount of grief for us in my current home state.
          ... versus this in support of an April 10, 2010 diary entitled, "Can Daily Kos accept the truth about the health care bill"
          Part of the reason for that is that on the left any deviance from the party line is condemned as "Naderism." The fact that dissent is politically untenable within the left coalition means that the left offers nothing to those that really aren't thrilled with corporatism.

It's a strange world when it's the left becoming a fascist bloc of corporatism, regressivism, and diversity-verboten groupspeak.

... or this from a diary entitled, "Fact Check: Obama didn't campaign on the Public Option."
          "Reality Based Community?"

Give me a f'in break. There are in fact a pile of mindless Obamabots here.

"It only counts as campaigning if it meets a certain quantitative threshold as a ratio to non-mentions! Therefore he did not campaign on it! (All those other mentions were purely for effect!)"

"It only counts as campaigning if it occurs in media invented after 1945 but before 1985! Therefore he did not campaign on it! (Web-based media are completely unimportant as we all know the Internet did not matter to the Obama campaign!)"

"He campaigned on a public plan, which is not only substantively but in fact radically different from a public option. In fact, it is a difference of at least 4-6 letters!"

The left is burning credibility like gasoline in a Hummer.

by Tortmaster on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:42:19 AM PST

•  All true. Yes, all three. (1+ / 0-)
            samddobermann

And there are many here who could say the same three things.

Your point?

-9.63, 0.00
            "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:51:31 AM PST

•  My point is that ... (4+ / 0-)

... you presented three datapoints that were pretty easily verifiable in your diary. To wit:

1.  You love you some Obama.

2.  You love you some ObamaCare; and

3.  You are currently employed creating vast information super-highways and are quite likely one of the greatest computational minds of our time.

Now, I was intentionally hyperbolic in the above-three descriptions because I want to prove a point. Context matters. I can be hyperbolic in discrediting your claims because all I'm doing is discrediting your claims. You, on the other hand, cannot be hyperbolic because you're trying to make an important policy argument. Why the double standard? Because if you are hyperbolic--if you indulge in any serious amount of "puffery"--you lose credibility for your policy argument.

by Tortmaster on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:15:57 AM PST

•  Not hyperbolic. Just (as you say) contextual: (3+ / 0-)
                Bozmo2, Mr Robert, Dave925

1. I voted me some Obama, twice
                2. I don't love Obama
                3. I don't love Obamacare vs. single payer, not at all
                4. I nevertheless have defended Obamacare to the hilt as the policy that we have when health care reform was badly needed, particularly when addressing conservative audiences
                5. I have an I <3 Obamacare sticker on my car for that reason
                6. (And bringing in others' comments) I am a professional sociologist and a university faculty member
                7. I also do consulting and research work in which I write piles of code every day, and I work on big data projects involving multiple networked systems and infrastructures
                8. I am not one of the "greatest computational minds of our time," but I do go back a long way and I am not technologically naive by any stretch of the imagination; I am a paid developer working on serious computational problems—related to society and social research

The fact that people are having trouble with these things is both sad and also illuminates our current social configuration and many of the policy issues that we face regarding labor, education, technology, and more.

-9.63, 0.00
                "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:28:44 AM PST

•  You came to daily kos ... (4+ / 0-)

... this morning to be a witness. The reader will judge the credibility of your testimony.

I would only add, in closing, that the reader might arrive at the conclusion that you professed a love for ObamaCare in the diary for the reason that it added a legitimacy and poignancy to your story, and it made you a sympathetic figure for now having to denounce it.

by Tortmaster on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:47:30 AM PST

•  I can see that there's substance behind your name (2+ / 0-)
                    Mr Robert, samddobermann

here on the site.

I came here to post in the diary that I created about the ACA rollout. I posted it last night well after midnight my time and went to bed without participating.

I didn't particularly expect to end up talking about me or defending me. And I'll stop now, because, as you say, I've now said enough about me.

But the rollout is a train wreck, it turns out in the call and paper sides of things as well. And that's a damned shame, because the left needs the (D) party to get a success out of this one—and my sense now is that this is not going to look much better at year's end in the public view.

More personally, I want the ACA to succeed. Very much so. It's the policy that we have, and has become married to the public's opinion of the American left at the moment.

And I'm going to shift tactics to saying that the ACA rollout was badly mismanaged, but the ACA is still very important and needed, though single-payer would have been better.

Previously I'd been saying (maybe others here are in the same boat) that the technical problems will soon be fixed, and in the meantime, just call the 800 number and be golden. I hope that if anyone did so after discussions with me, they had a better experience than I've had with it.

-9.63, 0.00
                    "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:13:17 AM PST

•  Oh, and yes, (1+ / 0-)
        samddobermann

I do have pet aspirations to someday give the "great American novel" a shot... Though my attempts thus far are not anything to write home about. :-p

I remain hopeful, and it's a nice way to relax from time to time.

Let me blow your mind now: way back in the day, one of my undergrad degrees (I accumulated several) was in literature.

But that was a million years ago.

-9.63, 0.00
        "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:17:46 AM PST

•  So you are a computer science sociologist??? (2+ / 0-)
          middleagedhousewife, Tortmaster

As tortmaster said, when making a diary that is founded on the reader taking you at face value you need to represent yourself as being fairly straight forward and honest.

I don't get that vibe from you, I get the feeling you are more than happy exaggerating to 'improve' your story.  The fact you respond to my tongue and cheek post here but ignore my prior one that asks real questions of you furthers that belief.

I don't know if you are honest or not, but you don't make me feel confident that I should believe you are.

by fToRrEeEsSt on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:48:39 AM PST

•  I don't want to talk about myself any longer. (1+ / 0-)
            samddobermann

This is not about me, and I've answered too many questions about me—fed the fire.

But if you doubt the demand for sociologists that are computer scientists, go look at the sociology and social science listings on the Chronicle or at one of the higher ed job search sites. You'll find faculty slots and some bigtime postdoc slots for people that hold Ph.D. degrees in social science and are also crack coders that can work on large data sets and sticky systems integration problems and have extensive development experience and a hard sciences background.

This is where social research is. There is a lot of data out there. More than we've ever had before. People are worried about Google having it, or the NSA having it. But academics also want to use it—to know more about how society works.

But you can't get at this data with a pencil, a notebook, and some survey questions. You just can't.

-9.63, 0.00
            "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:21:17 AM PST

•  Well... Still... (4+ / 0-)

...that doesn't make them TEA PARTY lies.

•  And so? (9+ / 0-)

I spent a decade as a DBA/programmer, and am still available to consult on such issues, but I'm now an RN.

There's nothing to say he can't be an IT consultant and a professional sociologist.  Most of the sciences require a lot of computer savvy these days.

•  In fact, I am both. (3+ / 0-)
      kyril, Mr Robert, samddobermann

I don't want to be recognized immediately here, so I don't give out too many details. But look up:

Sociology of Media
      Science & Technology Studies0
      Actor-Network Theory

For subfields of the sociology/social sciences that deal with technology development.

Think about how many academics do consulting work. Think about how important technology has become for society. Think about whether someone might study these things.

Think about whether technology is influenced by, or may influence, the ways that we think about race, gender, class, the ways that institutions and organizations work, and so on.

Think about the very concept of "social" media, now dominant in pop culture and technology, but also amongst the most studied things by social scientists in recent years.

Don't be too quick to dismiss things when you haven't quite thought them through.

-9.63, 0.00
      "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 05:26:27 AM PST

•  Also, I should add, (3+ / 0-)
        kyril, Mr Robert, samddobermann

think about how many academics (including sociologists) are of the old guard, not particularly technology skilled.

And yet, particularly in the scientific study of society, "big data" is a prime source of raw social research material these days—that sociologists would love to get their hands on and be able to use—if only they had the knowledge to:

- Know the sources
        - Write the grants
        - Develop the code
        - Make sense of the data
        - Integrate with the systems

Someone needs to bridge the gap—a sociology expert and a technology expert in one.

Yes, it is possible to belong to both professional societies in academic sociology and professional societies in computing.

-9.63, 0.00
        "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 05:36:25 AM PST

•  Good catch Tort (1+ / 0-)
      Tortmaster

Nobodyatall, nice username.  The 2 catches, "My consulting work is precisely in web development"  and "I'm a professional sociologist in an academic setting" do not match; sorry. "Academic setting" and "consulting" seem like oxymorons.  Moreover, I do not know any scientist/sociologist who would first claim precisely their focus is web development over sociologist or scientist.  I agree with Tort, this poster provides no credibility to me at all.

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you suck seed."--Curly Howard

by JackAshe on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:52:35 AM PST

•  It is what it is. (1+ / 0-)
        samddobermann

For better or for worse. I'd like to think that my identity has little to do with the content of the post. I'm certainly not ready to attach a name and a CV to my DailyKos participation, though anyone who's really determined could probably identify me based on past comments and posts.

I see now that the paragraph in question has foreshortened other kinds of discussion that might have taken place, again, for better or for worse. Probably worse. My bad.

And interesting to note that the discussion here on DailyKos this morning echoes the pitched battles that I and much more prominent others have been fighting in the stodgy world of academic sociology/social science for a decade. Cultural Studies has in many ways taken the lead on coming to terms with the information society and the very large and computationally-based social data sets in it, which is too bad, because sociology has centuries of previous empirical and theoretical work that more usefully inform and contextualize what is to be found.

But that's for another post, on another site.

-9.63, 0.00
        "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:04:46 AM PST

•  Well, a century and a half to two centuries (0+ / 0-)

in any case. I suppose someone will jump on "centuries" in a moment.

-9.63, 0.00
          "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:06:16 AM PST

•  and you call yourself a sociologist? (1+ / 0-)
          Tortmaster

"For better or for worse. I'd like to think that my identity has little to do with the content of the post."
          Seriously??
          It has everything to do with your credibility too.

by JackAshe on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 09:46:57 AM PST

•  Ah, a postmodernist? (0+ / 0-)

Let me rephrase. I'd like to have thought that my identity had little to do with the accuracy of the post's content and its implications, or the particular way in which this audience, who presumably shares a number of important characteristics with me, approached the topic.

Sure, it has everything to do with the fact that I'm trying to use the ACA rollout in the first place, or that I'm posting on a site like DailyKos, or the vernacular at issue, interpretation after the fact, authority, etc.

Consider it a normative "like to think," rather than descriptive one, written for this particular context.

-9.63, 0.00
            "Liberty" is deaf, dumb, and useless without life itself.

by nobody at all on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 10:14:37 AM PST