View Diary: The $ilver Lining in the ACA Plan (15 comments)

•  BTW (11+ / 0-)

That ratio for Medicare is 3-5%

Which means that private insurers are squawking about only being able to skim 20% off the top while Medicare only needs 3-5% to cover expenses.

Just one more reason why we will eventually go to a single payer system. 15%-17% savings is just too much to pass up.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:14:00 AM PST

•  You get it. (3+ / 0-)

15 - 20% is awesome for insurers. It is not something that will lower costs for consumers.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:25:37 AM PST

•  There are people who feel like the mlr will (3+ / 0-)
        worldlotus, Words In Action, jamess

eventually help to wean investors off health ins. and make a public option and or single payer an inevitability.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 06:50:34 AM PST

•  Says Rick Ungar in 2011. (1+ / 0-)
          jamess

And back then in 2011 he was spewing baloney. The first commenter on that article owned him.

An important fact that’s omitted in this assessment is that premiums do not account for all of an insurer’s income. The insurer sets rates in a way that generates a certain “pad” of liquid asset, and this liquidity is used to generate income like any other financial institution. Over time, the accumulated amount increases, and they become financial mega-forces in the classic capitalist fashion of banks and investment houses.
          It's shocking how many smart people feel the need to write about something without knowing even the most basic facts. The business model for insurance companies relies on capital gains from investments. If you don;t know that, you shouldn't be writing about insurance company profits.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 08:51:39 AM PST

•  I know the facts you cite are one reason the (1+ / 0-)
            jamess

ACA couldn't plunge the country cold turkey into single payer because the financial system was on the verge of total collapse as it was.
            It seems that the objective has to be to gradually move health ins. cos. into the business of just providing health ins. . hopefully until Wall Street loses interest, Then we can have single payer.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:27:54 AM PST

•  ps You're right. I should be more careful (1+ / 0-)
            HairyTrueMan

where and when I pop off. But then sometimes I learn something from the response...

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 11:45:18 AM PST

•  I wasn't referring to you, David. (1+ / 0-)
              David54

You aren't writing for Forbes. But you should be able to trust what you read there.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

by HairyTrueMan on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 01:27:04 PM PST

•  Well, sometimes I do stick my neck out and I (0+ / 0-)

do get my head chopped off, metaphorically.
                I usually have some knowledge based on what I've been reading in the news/magazines/internet. (I have a degree in fine art, and I've worked mainly as a carpenter).

Sometimes I'm playing devils advocate, based on something I think commenters or diarists are not thinking about on a particular topic.
                Sometimes, since so many people here are either experts or academic ideologues or those with liberal enclave "group-think", I try to give the perspective of the "average Joe", which I think is important in winning in politics.
                Sometimes I'm putting out a feeler hoping to get something clarified by someone more knowledgeable.
                Sometimes I'm just off base.
                 Anyway, thanks for the input.

At any rate, the info about the capital gains tax just reinforces my main thought relative to the efforts of this site. We have to get the gop out of the way before we can fix the abuses of the capital gains tax laws and all the other Romney-esque gimmicks of the financial system, health system, or create jobs, or address climate change, etc.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 07:08:37 AM PST

•  Let's consider it a start in the right direction. (5+ / 0-)

The exchanges, when they get going, will provide more competition. so there will be an incentive for insurers to  voluntarily find savings in their own mlr because they won't be able to manufacture bogus "productivity" by kicking people off.
      Eventually, I think this will dry up investment in health ins. and Wall Street will move its money elsewhere, like actual providers, or research/pharma.

I think we'll see the move toward public options in the exchanges and ultimately we will have common sense: single payer.
      The bigger the pool, the greater the savings.
      At least that is my hope.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 at 07:02:10 AM PST